Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 10:41 PM
Default Good Customer Sevice-A thing of the past?
I'm beginning to worry about the customer service these days. Employees are just becoming ruder and ruder by the minute. When I was younger (wow, I'm only 15 and I sound like I'm 50!) getting a welcome and a smile was the norm when you walked into a store. Nowadays, you'll be lucky to even get treated nicely!

When my sister was at the register at Best Buy, the employee didn't even say 'Hello', 'Welcome to Best Buy' or anything. He didn't even look at my sister; he was actually looking past her like he was waiting for someone. When we went to leave the register, we got no 'Thank you for shopping at Best Buy' or even a 'Goodbye'!

Then, when I went to Subway yesterday, the employees acted as if I was annoying them and they came off like they didn't want to be bothered by me. Mind you, all I simply ask was to fix me a sub. I'm not a customer to yell and cause a huge fiasco (like my mom) when something goes wrong either.

Another customer service problem in my area is that the Home Depot employees walk extremely fast when they see that you need help. They practically run away when you call on them. Two employees actually stopped their conversation and walked to the next aisle when they obviously saw that we needed help. It's really sad that in order to get some help at my Home Depot, we have to track down an employee instead of them coming to us.

What are your views on the deteriorating customer service in recent times? Are the employees just getting fed up with their jobs? Are customers being too demading and quick to yell when an employee makes a little mistake? Is customer service the same as it was years ago? What are your sides of this issue-as an employee and a customer?

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 10:45 PM
Customer service seems to be neglected in some (to most) stores. People being treated rudely or not being treated at all seems to have risen. When I was at a WaL-Mart (D: I know...I don't like them either) it seemed that all the registers were taken (including the self checkout) except for one register, just my luck ..right?

I walk up to the register with my item in hand, and I realize that it's a student from my school, we both know each other and (i hope) like each other well enough. I say "hello!" He looks up from swiping my item and looks back down, calculating the total. No words were spoken from his mouth....I'm not going to that Wal Mart again (yay!) Its just that if he even said hello or have a good day, I wouldn't have bothered with even typing this, its just that the service industry seems lacking in..well, service. =[
#3 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 11:03 PM
I find that the customers are the biggest problems these days. If you think I'm joking just google "retail sucks". I've seen it up close. Personally, I like a nice hello but I really don't care if the cashier talks to me or not since I'm at the end of my shopping trip. I want my items rung up quickly, pay the correct amount, and get the heck out of there. No, I don't need to have a conversation with you.

However, when I need something on the floor then I expect help and I'm willing to wait patiently for it.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 11:48 PM
I work in retail and honestly, I think it's all about the personality. Some people are great at interacting with people face to face. Some people just suck at it. I am one of those friendly people who say "Hello" and "Good-bye" and actually will try to hold a conversation as I help people. But sometimes it does get discouraging when customers ignore you, act like they don't see you and are ridiculously upset at you for something you can't control. I cannot control the fact that we no longer have the size that you are looking for. I will do my best to help you find it at another store however I will not spend my entire shift tracking down a $3.97 t-shirt on the other side of the country.

It's not just a customer service thing either. A lot of customers come into the store with the mentality that the customer is always right however they do harass the employees, try to haggle with them and are very willing to call the customer service line for the stupidest things.
#5 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 12:18 AM
I don't think I could ever work in retail for a long period of time. It's not just the customers and it's not just the employees. Both sides of the fence are just plain rude. From there it just creates a circle. Rude customers lead to rude employees which leads to rude customers etc.
Theorist
#6 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 12:29 AM
I worked in (phone) customer service for 2 years and honestly I blamed the company for the poor service we provided. Customer service reps where I was employed were poorly paid, and expected to handle enormous amounts of calls (6 people handled all the calls for a major firm that came from all over the USA and Canada). In addition we had to service 'walk in clients' by turns thus taking off 1 person from the phone to do this.

Also we had to do paperwork, handle and process orders/credit cards/refunds, find items on the floor that were being repaired and other office tasks. If someone was out sick, you'd have to work even harder to answer the phone and deal with irate customers.

We were told how many millions the company made in 'rah-rah' sessions but we never saw an increase in our salaries. It was always 'sorry.'

Add to it the bad manager we worked under (he loved having people snipe and backstab each others), psycho supervisor (imagine someone with CONSTANT PMS) and you have the picture.

The customers could ruin my day by complaining about the long wait times. I'd want to agree--I mean if you run a BIG company, PAY for a good amount of staff.

Some companies invest in customer service, others in 'sales.' To this day I'd NEVER buy a product made by my former 'company.'

Let me add about Best Buy (I shop there a lot) that I think they hire some very rude and clueless people but then again, what do they pay them?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Test Subject
#7 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 1:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rome_raven
It's not just a customer service thing either. A lot of customers come into the store with the mentality that the customer is always right however they do harass the employees, try to haggle with them and are very willing to call the customer service line for the stupidest things.

Amen. I work as a cashier in a supermarket, and it seems a lot like customer's manners are the ones that are deteriorating these days. A lot will blame me for wrong item pricing, or a spill in aisle 4, or their child who has run off on them. One even had a go at me for not handing over a carton of cigarettes until the transaction had been finished! (At our store, we have a lot of snatch and run incident with cigs, so store policy is that until a transaction is completely finished, we don't hand over cigarettes) Some of their attitudes suck, period.

Having said that, there are a lot of cashiers too that are plain rude, who don't greet customers and who refuse to help. However, it's their ass thats on the line when they get complaints for it.

Politeness unfortunately is becoming scarce in today's society, and in retail, it's both the customer and the employee that are at fault, not just one or the other.

My cellmate's a killer, they make me do push-ups in drag.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 1:07 AM
I think we will learn a lot that we, those who work in the serves industry have to deal with. S2G and I will more then likely share plenty.

One needs to remember, attitudes affect the people around, and last all day. That one employee that seems to always be in a bad mood and takes out personal problems on the people around. Or those customers who come into the store and take out their daily frustrations on the employees for the littlest things.

Case in point, had a little old lady come in, we are always told, pleasant smile when dealing with the customers. Well, I smiled at her, she complained to my manager because of "MY" inappropriate "SMIRK". All I did was smile. After she left, my boss even said she had problems.

Then there are those who are particular about greetings. A few absolutely must never be referred to as "Sir" or "Ma-mm". To do so will set them off instantly in a pissy frenzy. This one lady I have here where I live and work says your just calling her old by saying "May I help you Ma-mm?"

When you get that one pissy customer in the morning early in your work day, well its shoot and your no longer in a good mood.

Then there's "The customers always right" attitude. Thinking that what they say is final and must be honored. NO, it is a treatment idea. That this is how to best treat them in respect, not a policy that "MUST" be followed.

We have some that will walk up to the register and say they got this off the self and the Tag above it said it was $1.99, while it rings up at $3.49 with it labeled as such, and demanding that it is given to them at that price. NO this will not happen. Trust me, the customer is NOT always right.

Well this is enough of a rant to start for now. Tired, and have other things to do.

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
Field Researcher
#9 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 1:46 AM
As a lifeguard, my job entails punishing people for rule breaking. Ever had a parent find out their "darlin' little angle" of a boy was thrown out for harassing a female lifeguard. For the rest of the season, Angle wasn't allowed back in and Mom complained to any guard who was foolish enough to listen to her. And I have to tell her that I support my staff and their discisions (there are times I don't agree, but I need to back the rule anyway.). Eventually, I give them the companies number (who will tell her the same thing) to get her out of my hair. But when Darlin' gets in trouble, the parent will be pissed when it gets back to them.
#10 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 4:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
I'm beginning to worry about the customer service these days. Employees are just becoming ruder and ruder by the minute. When I was younger (wow, I'm only 15 and I sound like I'm 50!) getting a welcome and a smile was the norm when you walked into a store. Nowadays, you'll be lucky to even get treated nicely!

When my sister was at the register at Best Buy, the employee didn't even say 'Hello', 'Welcome to Best Buy' or anything. He didn't even look at my sister; he was actually looking past her like he was waiting for someone. When we went to leave the register, we got no 'Thank you for shopping at Best Buy' or even a 'Goodbye'!

Then, when I went to Subway yesterday, the employees acted as if I was annoying them and they came off like they didn't want to be bothered by me. Mind you, all I simply ask was to fix me a sub. I'm not a customer to yell and cause a huge fiasco (like my mom) when something goes wrong either.

Another customer service problem in my area is that the Home Depot employees walk extremely fast when they see that you need help. They practically run away when you call on them. Two employees actually stopped their conversation and walked to the next aisle when they obviously saw that we needed help. It's really sad that in order to get some help at my Home Depot, we have to track down an employee instead of them coming to us.

What are your views on the deteriorating customer service in recent times? Are the employees just getting fed up with their jobs? Are customers being too demading and quick to yell when an employee makes a little mistake? Is customer service the same as it was years ago? What are your sides of this issue-as an employee and a customer?

Most places I go I get good customer service. Whenever I enter Walmart the sales person always smiles and says "Welcome to Walmart." unless they're busy with another customer.
Most times and most places I don't even have to ask for help they come to me. And if they don't come to me they hadn't notice or it's a busy day.
But every once in a while there is the employee that gets on your nerves. Like the other day when my mother called Home Depot for something- I forgot. Everytime my mother asked the lady a question she sighed loudly and acted as if she really didn't want to be bothered.
Then another time when I went to a drive-through at McDonalds, the lady couldn't hear me. So every time I said an order loudly she snapped, "Okay!" like it's my fault she's death.
Those are rare occurances, and like I had said, most of the time I get treated like I should. Some we even make friends with.
Test Subject
#11 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 5:55 AM
work in retail yourself for a few days. then you'll understand why we hate you.

My store (which I won't name) is largely perused by cranky old people. They know that if they just keep yelling, eventually we will give them that price they thought it was (yesterday I had to discount an item by forty dollars to get these people to shut up). I feel that some of them will be nasty to you because they know they can get away with it, and they've got something up their ass which gives them some kind of 'misery loves company' complex.

I say, screw the customer. The key to customer satisfaction is happy employees. If I was making more than 7 dollars an hour, not working overtime every week and was able to be like "this is what the price is, deal with it," I would be soo much nicer to customers.
#12 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sammie99
work in retail yourself for a few days. then you'll understand why we hate you.

My store (which I won't name) is largely perused by cranky old people. They know that if they just keep yelling, eventually we will give them that price they thought it was (yesterday I had to discount an item by forty dollars to get these people to shut up). I feel that some of them will be nasty to you because they know they can get away with it, and they've got something up their ass which gives them some kind of 'misery loves company' complex.

I say, screw the customer. The key to customer satisfaction is happy employees. If I was making more than 7 dollars an hour, not working overtime every week and was able to be like "this is what the price is, deal with it," I would be soo much nicer to customers.

Amen. I'm ALWAYS nice to my costumers, but i agree that it'd be easier to be nice if we weren't so flipping stressed the whole time you are there. Your not a person, no, you get treated as an object that does stuff for 8 1/2 hours till you go home. Even if i heard a please or thank you every once in a while, i'd be happy. You can't treat a person like shit without making them feel like shit.
I've been blessed with LOTS of nice customers, fortunately. However, when i get them bad.. i GET them.. Ugh. Like when people change the stickers then try and make us change the price.. Or when they throw a hissy because somethings not the same than ANOTHER CHAIN.. >.<

In closing.. i think that we'd be better employees if we were ever treated like we actually were people. :howdy:
Mad Poster
#13 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 6:40 AM
I worked in retail for several years at a store in the Chicago area which was infamous for its rude salespeople. One thing I had learned in the working world - it's like an acting job - you have to be "on" when you go on the sales floor. Like you have to go outside yourself and "pretend" to be happy and up. And that was my goal - to always be customer oriented and friendly and helpful. But here's another side of the coin - this prestigious store I worked for which catered to the richer customers with exclusive and expensive items - paid minimum wage, demanded that you dress in very upscale clothing to present an elegant appearance, and, unless you were one of the regular long term full tiime employees, you got no commission. Yet the company treated the staff like dirt. You had to accept the schedule and hours they gave you and like it or else. Minimum wage hourly employees were constantly under duress to meet sales quotas, we were constantly watched on inhouse cameras. were only allowed to take bathroom breaks if we could convince someone else to cover our register and we had to keep a strict manual inventory of every item (it was gourmet food) and pay for anything that did not match up. The employee morale was so low that most of the staff were depressed and angry before the doors even opened. So if anyone actually had the strength of character to actually muster up some courtesy for the customers, it was a miracle. So some of the poor customer service you see may be related to how abominably bad the employees are treated by their employers and supervisors! And I think the big companies don't feel any responsibility to be good to their employees in any way, either financially or just by treating them like human beings!!

Just my experience...

Oh yes and the supervisors would actually send you home if your suit and heels were not upscale enough so you'd lose the whole shift's pay and the decision about appropriate clothing was always very subjective.
#14 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 6:48 AM
I'm a cashier at Walmart, and I think the main reason customer service is lacking is because of rude customers. We deal with ALOT of crap, and sometimes some customers make us horribly miserable. I've had customers almost make me cry, perhaps if they were nice to us we'd be nice back. I always make it a point to go out of my way and be friendly but there are some customers that just do not deserve it. I've been screamed at, sworn at, I've had things thrown at me (change, items, etc), now wouldn't that make the people that work in customer service just a tad irritated? Usually when someone has a bad day and they come into our store it's us that get the brunt of it. I honestly don't think it's fair, and some customers deserve an attitude. Granted there are some bad cashiers and people who work in customer service. But remember the customer is not always right, despite what they say.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 7:06 AM
You need to have more good customers for more good customer service . I've had three jobs in retail and they all sucked more than anything. I'm one of those people though at work, who always has to be friendly, pleasant, and talk to the customer as if they are always right and I'm always wrong. Some people just won't be happy regardless of what you do, you can dance the Irish Jig and give them a million dollars and they would still complain and whine. I would say about 60% of the customers were always grouchy and nothing was going to change that, 30% would just be regular people who weren't friendly or grouchy, and then the last 10% would be friendly and nice people. It's hard to stay friendly and treat all customers nicely but you should do it if you are working in retail unless of you course someone really pushes you. I mean I don't know how many times I've been told I'm stupid because we didn't offer a senior discount, or something was too expensive, or there wasn't enough chairs (Wth you are here to shop not lounge around), etc.
Forget about Christmas shoppers, they will make you hate people.
Anyway, whenever I go shopping and what not I always seem to get good service. Maybe it's because I know how it is to be a cashier and I don't let every little thing bother me, who knows.
I do know for sure that, RETAIL SUCKS.
#16 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by edejan
I worked in retail for several years at a store in the Chicago area which was infamous for its rude salespeople. One thing I had learned in the working world - it's like an acting job - you have to be "on" when you go on the sales floor. Like you have to go outside yourself and "pretend" to be happy and up. And that was my goal - to always be customer oriented and friendly and helpful. But here's another side of the coin - this prestigious store I worked for which catered to the richer customers with exclusive and expensive items - paid minimum wage, demanded that you dress in very upscale clothing to present an elegant appearance, and, unless you were one of the regular long term full tiime employees, you got no commission. Yet the company treated the staff like dirt. You had to accept the schedule and hours they gave you and like it or else. Minimum wage hourly employees were constantly under duress to meet sales quotas, we were constantly watched on inhouse cameras. were only allowed to take bathroom breaks if we could convince someone else to cover our register and we had to keep a strict manual inventory of every item (it was gourmet food) and pay for anything that did not match up. The employee morale was so low that most of the staff were depressed and angry before the doors even opened. So if anyone actually had the strength of character to actually muster up some courtesy for the customers, it was a miracle. So some of the poor customer service you see may be related to how abominably bad the employees are treated by their employers and supervisors! And I think the big companies don't feel any responsibility to be good to their employees in any way, either financially or just by treating them like human beings!!

Just my experience...

Oh yes and the supervisors would actually send you home if your suit and heels were not upscale enough so you'd lose the whole shift's pay and the decision about appropriate clothing was always very subjective.

Why would you work someplace if you obviously hated it so much.

I'm sure if a person disliked small children they wouldn't go work at Kindercare. Why work in retail if you aren't prepared to deal with people?
#17 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 7:56 PM
Because retail is the only industry I know that will hire people no matter what, I've tried getting other jobs in different places. I'm either under qualified or over qualified, and it sucks. I'd rather hire someone who was over qualified because I'd be assured they'd do the job right instead of hiring someone new. In todays world alot of employers have a stereotype, if you're overweight, not cute, etc they won't hire you. I've experienced this quite alot, places like Kohl's, Dillards, Fashion Bug, are thoes types of places. Yet stores like Walmart, Target, etc will hire you no problem and you get to work crummy long hours, not get paid enough and deal with jerks. There is a certain look employers go for you don't have it, they don't hire you. It's not based on experience hardly anymore, sadly.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 8:14 PM
Some people may not have the choice to just quit their job and get another one. Finding a job isn't like it is on TS2, it takes weeks if not months to get another one. Plus, people have responsibilites (family, bills, house, ect) to take care of and if you quit a job, an employer will want to know why and they could even call up your last job to see why you quit. Some people may not have the skills to get another job too. No one likes hiring teenagers because they usually have no skills, can only work certain amount of hours, and school gets in the way many times. The only place teens have to turn to is retail.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Test Subject
#19 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 8:24 PM
it is and I have 1 thing to say... blame capitalism damn it.
Scholar
#20 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 8:26 PM
Restaurants are really bad too... I used to work at the Olive Garden. Worst job I ever had. I completely think that the Customers Always right some of the time... lol If you're an ass in general and you're just doing it to get free food then no... you're not right. I once had a guys scream at me while we were in the middle of the dining area telling me the smoking section was bigger than it was. I took him back to his table and he didn't like that one so he goes, "I want to sit over here in a booth." I said, "Sir... that's fine but that isn't the smoking section. You said you wanted the smoking section." He goes, "Well I was here a couple of weeks ago and we sat at this table and we smoked." I replied, "Well you probably shouldn't have." Mind you now, I'd worked there for almost 2 years and there never was a different seating arrangement. He proceeded to scream at me and demand to see my manager. I went and got her. I'd been completely polite the entire time... actually I thought it was kinda funny cause he was being so ridiculous. She told him the exact same thing I did and comped his appetizer and he sat in non smoking. Essentially he got rewarded for acting like a moron. This is what is wrong with customers today. They know the customer is always right and use it to their advantage. Now, granted sometimes the employees just suck but it's def a case by case scenario.
#21 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 11:34 PM
I worked in retail for two miserable years. It was a place that offered me a traineeship after I left half-way through year 12 so I took it.
I hated it. The customers were rude, the staff didn't give crap and management didn't manage at all. I was abused more times than I can remember even though I've always had great customer service skills. Retail is about putting the happy face on, no matter what you're really feeling. One day I had two woman having a screaming match over my head at my register. One was accusing the other one of switching price tags. The accused one was a very regular customer (3 or 4 times a day) and I'd already had a call from the department the item they were fighting about came from.

I worked refunds. People are rude when they think they're entitiled to something they're not. My supervisor got called a lot of 4 letter words (the bad ones... C and S mainly) because some wank thought he was overcharged fifty cents.

When I'm at a shop now, and there are people in line carrying on about waiting, I just say "quietly" to my mother or whoever I'm with 'you can always tell those who haven't worked retail' and normally I get dirty looks but they generally shut up then.

I work lay-by over christmas. Never again. If people are stupid enough to leave getting their parcels until christmas eve they deserve everything they get.

Now I'm a very different line of retail. I deal with mainly builders and tradespeople and I love it.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 5:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by slice
Why would you work someplace if you obviously hated it so much.

I'm sure if a person disliked small children they wouldn't go work at Kindercare. Why work in retail if you aren't prepared to deal with people?

I didn't say I hated it. I liked the store, its goods and the hours were convenient to my situation at the time. I'm telling you what a bad atmosphere some stores are to work in. I did say that I had learned that you have to be "on stage" when working in the public with customers. That's how I dealt with it and I also learned the "norms" for the store quickly so I never really had a problem with any supervisors. But not everyone can deal with it that way and many people don't have a lot of options regarding what jobs they take. I think when you complain about customer service, you also have to realize that there's another side to the story.
Test Subject
#23 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 5:50 AM
In my opinion, it's the customers' manners that have gone down hill.

I used to work at the UPS store. I'd take people's items and box it and ship it, or just take items they already packed and ship it for them. You wouldn't believe the number of people who would yell at ME for our prices. Like I have control of it?

I also had this lady who came in on the phone (sidenote: GET OFF THE BLEEPIN' PHONE WHEN YOU GO SOMEPALCE WHERE YOU MUST BE A HUMAN BEING AND TALK TO PEOPLE. Thank you). She said she needed a box and wouldn't tell me what kind. I proceeded to show her every box we had and with each selection, she got more and more angry at me to the point of yelling at me. And yes, she was still on the phone. She finally picked a box, started putting peanuts in it (she'd brought her own) only to huff, dump them out all over the place and THROW the box at me, telling me it was the wrong size.

Needless to say her abuse continued to the point of me crying for the first time because of a customer and then a customer behind her threatening to call the police on her.

I have other horror stories - like parents who can't take care of their children and let them skate around on those roller-shoes and knock over my retail bins when I worked at GameStop or knock the games off the shelves.. the parents would only giggle and then not even bother to pick it up or tell their children too. Anyway, enough of me complaining.

The point is that I'm sure people would be nicer if customers were. I'd like to see you try and put on a smile after being yelled at for things that aren't your fault for 8 hours a day. And yes, I agree with other people who said that it's hard to find a good job these days and many people who work retail work it to pay bills, not because they want to.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 5:52 AM
I'm also more inclined to blame customers, though I've experienced some (mostly through others) bad customer service which was clearly not the customers' faults.

Customers in general seem to be getting harder to please--for some, no amount of service will ever satisfy them. They don't seem to really notice or care that employees are people like them, who have their limits and personal needs--it's just demand, demand, demand, demand, and "to **** with your needs, what about mine?" They can't seem to take "no" for an answer, and seem to think that they deserve special treatment because of their perceived needs.

I witnessed an example of a hard-to-please customer when I was at a local Cingular (now AT&T) store months ago to replace my phone's battery. She took a phone to an employee and asked him to remove some of the services from the plan she wanted to purchase because she had no need for them and didn't want to pay for something she would never use. He politely told her that she would need to buy another phone or choose another plan because removing that service wasn't an option. She bickered with him for 15-20 minutes, switching phones repeatedly with him telling her the same thing with each phone; she went from demanding to literally yelling, even asking him to call or bring in his manager to do it. He told her he would call, I believe it was, the regional manager and discuss the possibility of an exception, but he told this customer that it was unlikely they would be able to meet her request. In the end she stormed out, but not before saying that she was done with/sick of Cingular and would buy a phone plan from another service. I went up to the same employee, who was flustered, asked for a battery change, and he did it without hesitation and didn't charge me a dime.

"Make believe in magic, make believe in dreams
Make believe impossible, nothing as it seems
See, touch, taste, smell, hear, but never know if it's real"
--The Cure, "More Than This"
Instructor
#25 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 5:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cary123
it is and I have 1 thing to say... blame capitalism damn it.

So narrow and so wrong. Ahem.

I work at a restaurant, as I've said before. We have one manager who is inherently not a people-person, by her own admission. I am a people person. Said manager puts me up front when I work with her because I am a people person. But I've been cussed at, had food thrown in my face, and had people argue with me about what is or isn't on our signs. For pity's sake, I had a guy argue with me about a price because we don't list our price after tax on the signs. Today I got sworn at because I refused to give a price over the phone, which we've been told not to do.

I went to WalMart just after I got my WIC, and they literally put me in tears because the girl literally looked at me and said 'White trash always gets our money!' and was outright rude.

I don't think it's all about the person behind the register. I think it's also about the people in front of it. I will not, I repeat, WILL NOT let someone treat me like utter garbage just because they cannot be bothered to read the menu boards. I repeat prices when they have questions. I do not make the decisions regarding said prices - please don't scream at me about them.

I am not looking forward to when our prices go up. Much irate screaming and much cursing will ensue.

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Proud single mom, firefighter's girl, and beautifully imperfect person.
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.

Page 1 of 2