Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th May 2015 at 4:18 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Seasons, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Running game on an external - can't install mods
Okay so this is my first time ever posting on here, so I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place. My problem's kind of weird, and as far as I could tell this is where I need to be. But yeah I may be wrong so sorry if I am.
Anyway here's my problem. I have a 2014 Macbook Air 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 with 4GB of memory.
Because my computer has such a small hard drive, I decided to install the Sims on my external hard drive. It runs perfectly fine most of the time. However I recently wanted to install a few mods, and attempted to following the instructions I found here. I followed the instructions to the letter, and the mods still weren't working. I tried dropping the whole documents folder into my external, because I figure that's what's messing it up, and no change.
It's not a big deal if I can't install the mods, I'll just play without them, but I figured before I gave up I'd give posting here a chance.
Thanks for any help.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th May 2015 at 5:59 AM
The Mac OS version of TS3 is even fussier than the Windows version about exactly where the game folder (from Documents) and Mods folder need to be. I don't think you are going to be able to get that puppy to recognize it the way you have it installed.

I'm sure that you don't want to hear this (sorry), but the MacBook Air is not designed to run a game like this. Between its weak processor and unsupported integrated graphics card, the game will stress it out far too easily. Also installing it on an external drive is an unsupported configuration and with the Mac version's built in limitation of only being able to use 2 GB of RAM, it's pretty impressive that the game has been running well for you thus far. I hope you can continue to enjoy it, but I wouldn't be brave enough to try on an Air even with a larger hard drive and Windows bootcamped.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th May 2015 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
The Mac OS version of TS3 is even fussier than the Windows version about exactly where the game folder (from Documents) and Mods folder need to be. I don't think you are going to be able to get that puppy to recognize it the way you have it installed.

I'm sure that you don't want to hear this (sorry), but the MacBook Air is not designed to run a game like this. Between its weak processor and unsupported integrated graphics card, the game will stress it out far too easily. Also installing it on an external drive is an unsupported configuration and with the Mac version's built in limitation of only being able to use 2 GB of RAM, it's pretty impressive that the game has been running well for you thus far. I hope you can continue to enjoy it, but I wouldn't be brave enough to try on an Air even with a larger hard drive and Windows bootcamped.

Yeah I figured that was probably the case. To be honest when I initially went to play it on this, I wasn't expecting it to work either. This computer was never meant to be used for gaming, but it worked out that way anyway. And I currently have seven expansions installed and it still works like a dream (Island Paradise is sometimes fussy but I've come to find that's a common problem so). I kind of figured mods were something I was going to have to go without, because of my odd method of gaming. I am sad it doesn't seem possible, I was hoping to get one of my households over 8 sims. But it's not a big deal. Thanks for the reply. (: