Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 2:06 PM
Default Replacing .Sims3package files with .package files
I'm thinking of uninstalling some launcher-installed items (some cc, mostly store content), making them into .package files, and putting them in the mods folder. If I don't remove the items what will happen? The items are CAS items and build/buy mode items. No lots, sims, or worlds.

I plan on going into the saves and changing or removing everything beforehand, but just in case I miss something...
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 2:26 PM
If you leave some items in the launcher and also have a package file placed in your mods folder than I'm assuming you'd just have 2 of the same item appear in your catalog. Nothing horrible.
If you leave an item in a save that was connected to a sims3pack in the launcher but you remove that pack and place a package file version in your mods folder than the item will probably just be replaced in game.

All in all the game is just going to account for the missing item by replacing it or having 2 versions of the same item if you happen to have 2 different file versions for it installed.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#3 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 6:54 PM
If you don't decrapify your Store items first you shouldn't end up with duplicates, even if you kept some installed as sims3packs.
Otherwise nothing should happen if you uninstall the stuff from the Launcher and then place the same items into your Mods folder as packages. They should even keep your custom CASting in-game.

There are only two things that will happen:
First, if you have modifications for Store items in your Mods folders these will not apply anymore, unless you place these modifications (like retextures or fixes) in Overrides instead of Packagaes.
Secondly, any fixes for Store items that came with the Store patches will not apply to items in Mods/Packages. For clothing items, for example, this means that clothes that were later enabled for Outerwear by the Store team through a Store patch will not be enabled for Outerwear anymore.
You will either have to do that yourself then or add copy of ContentPatch.package in Overrides, too.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 5:57 AM
Don- don't you have to do some magic for store items to be turned into package files? I know you have probably repeated this eight dozen times, but if you could say it just once more, please?

Also, if you don't use the store patches, then you can have that dress that makes it look like your sim has only one leg. The one they sold for YEARS, even though they knew it was broken, before they were finally shamed into fixing it.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#5 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 8:06 AM
OK, so for the 97th time:
Store items are protected/encrypted and before you can convert them you have to decrypt them. The program you use for this is called Recompressorizer (S3RC). It was written by Pescado and is available at MATY (MoreAwesomeThanYou). There are other, modified versions and I cannot recall who made these and where they are available, because I use the Pescado one.
Inside the S3RC folder there are two *.exe files: s3rc.exe and decrapify.exe. If you want to maintain existing references and ensure that any lots/Sims/etc. you share remain intact for other users, too, you MUST only use s3rc.exe, not the other one.
Once Store sims3packs are decrypted you can properly extract their contents with MultiInstaller and you can also then open the individual packages in S3PE in case you want to edit them yourselves or simply have a look at the insides of each package.

Now with regard to the dress, I remember that there was/is a problematic one but I don't know whether I have this installed and so I don't know whether they fixed it in one of the Store patches via an override or whether they fixed the file itself. If they fixed the file itself you are good to go and simply install the converted package, if they fixed it via patches you will have to either have the patch in override or extract the fix from the patch file and merge it into the converted package with S3PE.

Personally I have converted all my Store stuff except for premium content, some venues and worlds into packages and added any fixes or patches manually to each individual file. It took me several days but gave me the advantage that I now own the whole Store because while sifting through the files I had the Store page open all the time and earned the necessary amount of Simpoints through the sponsored ads.

WARNING: There's one caveat that I know of when it comes to converted Store stuff. Packages extracted from sims3packs (whether Store or 3rd party) have the tendency to merge into lots and Sims that you export from your games as sims3packs in order to share them with others. That's one of the ways how you can spread unwanted items. Some versions of Custard will report these files as corrupt (Package inside a Package) and if the merged item is from the Store then it is likely that the Launcher will simply refuse to install such a lot or Sim.
If you intend to share a lot or Sim from a game that has converted sims3pack stuff in it, it is always best to only share the *.sim file from SavedSims and the lot *.package from Library directly.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 1:01 AM
Thanks Don. It is safe in a word file now.

New at Simszoo
Field Researcher
#7 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 9:29 AM
Just popping by with one more tip, do not unpack counters if they are Sims3pack. This can cause the texture of the corner counter to break and it will mess up connecting counters as well.
As a rule of thumb, I do not convert Kitchen sets, lots, worlds, or patterns to package. I have converted sims successfully though.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 8:38 PM
Lots are absolutely fine to convert to packages with the Sims 3 Pack Multi-Extracter. MTS even accepts lots in package format.
Patterns can be problematic, so avoid converting.
Worlds need to be converted to world files, a more complicated process.
Counters can be wonky as package files, but they can be wonky even as sims3packs. Use your discretion.

New at Simszoo
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
OK, so for the 97th time:
Store items are protected/encrypted and before you can convert them you have to decrypt them. The program you use for this is called Recompressorizer (S3RC). It was written by Pescado and is available at MATY (MoreAwesomeThanYou). There are other, modified versions and I cannot recall who made these and where they are available, because I use the Pescado one.
Inside the S3RC folder there are two *.exe files: s3rc.exe and decrapify.exe. If you want to maintain existing references and ensure that any lots/Sims/etc. you share remain intact for other users, too, you MUST only use s3rc.exe, not the other one.
Once Store sims3packs are decrypted you can properly extract their contents with MultiInstaller and you can also then open the individual packages in S3PE in case you want to edit them yourselves or simply have a look at the insides of each package.

Now with regard to the dress, I remember that there was/is a problematic one but I don't know whether I have this installed and so I don't know whether they fixed it in one of the Store patches via an override or whether they fixed the file itself. If they fixed the file itself you are good to go and simply install the converted package, if they fixed it via patches you will have to either have the patch in override or extract the fix from the patch file and merge it into the converted package with S3PE.

Personally I have converted all my Store stuff except for premium content, some venues and worlds into packages and added any fixes or patches manually to each individual file. It took me several days but gave me the advantage that I now own the whole Store because while sifting through the files I had the Store page open all the time and earned the necessary amount of Simpoints through the sponsored ads.

WARNING: There's one caveat that I know of when it comes to converted Store stuff. Packages extracted from sims3packs (whether Store or 3rd party) have the tendency to merge into lots and Sims that you export from your games as sims3packs in order to share them with others. That's one of the ways how you can spread unwanted items. Some versions of Custard will report these files as corrupt (Package inside a Package) and if the merged item is from the Store then it is likely that the Launcher will simply refuse to install such a lot or Sim.
If you intend to share a lot or Sim from a game that has converted sims3pack stuff in it, it is always best to only share the *.sim file from SavedSims and the lot *.package from Library directly.

Thanks for the help.
What is the decrapify.exe file? What happens if I use both? What does each file specifically do?
Space Pony
#10 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 10:59 AM
If you want a more n00bish friendly alternative to the original Recompressorizer tool, do a google (or whichever search engine you prefer) for "How to decrapify with The Compressorizer Redux!". Hopefully you'll get the link to the download and tutorial on MATY as your first search result.