Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 9:05 AM
Hello!

I just finished my first update if anyone would like to take a look. I'd love to hear what you guys think :]

Chapter 1: Like a puppet

Happy Simming everyone!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 2:28 PM
I left a comment! I made a few mistakes, but yeah... :D
Test Subject
#28 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 3:15 PM
Oh wow, thank you so much, Indigo! I just replied to it, I think it's the most I've ever written in a comment on wordpress lol, and hope it makes sense ^^

I really appreciate you taking time to read and reply :]
Original Poster
#29 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 3:26 PM
Thanks for the updates, everybody, I'm simply amazed at the great stories you create based on this challenge!

@indigoskycaller, I really like your simple house and the fact that you were able to build it with only 10000 simoleons. Good luck with the baby, it will probably make the challenge even more challenging!

@MissChevus, Great to hear that you're having fun, you're starting the challenge with such a cute couple! I'm eagerly waiting for Victorian clothes, too. I remember back in the year 2000, when I was still a young girl, I tried to make my own Victorian clothes for The Sims 1, because I couldn't find any on the internet and I simply had to have them. My creations were horrible but I was happy nevertheless, playing my little ladies and lords that were dressed in those ugly clothes that clipped in every weird way that one can imagine.

@Reina-Rose, I wish you'd do nothing but play the game and continue your story! Is that a bit selfish of me? The look on Katherine's face in the second picture is so expressive, and I was almost as anxious as she was to see what her husband would look like. Like indigoskycaller said in her comment on your blog, the "experiment" thing is a clever way to link the backstory with the challenge. I'm looking forward to the next part again!
Test Subject
#30 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 7:22 AM
Thank you so much, @Aislynne I'm so happy that you liked it. It's been interesting to write her story and even though I have a general idea of where things might go, I love how there's still other things that might influence the game due to mechanics in the game. I have taken the pictures for the next update and will probably be able to upload it tomorrow sometime, if not Saturday

I'm wondering how things are going for everyone else in their game?
Test Subject
#31 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 5:41 PM
I'm loving everyone's settlers! After two of my couples managed to burn themselves up grilling hotdogs, my third pair is getting along nicely. Maybe the third time really is the charm lol. Anyhow, here are Serenity and Malcolm Washburne. They have just arrived on a newly-settled planet after leaving behind their space-roving lifestyle. Were they smugglers? I'll never tell. They managed to bring along a few of their possessions, so their home is a mixture of rustic and modern items. They already miss electricity, but love their new life.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#32 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 6:01 PM
I forgot to give credit where it is due. Many thanks to @Snaitf for unlocking the smuggler outfits for everyone. They really fit in with my Firefly universe.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 9:02 PM
I have lost my game saves, so I am going to create another family. *sob*
Test Subject
#34 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 10:04 PM
Oh no, @indigoskycaller! That's a shame.
Test Subject
#35 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 10:32 PM
This challenge sounds really fun! I am going to start it right away.
Just one question, instead of adding families - can I just have my starter couple have kids and have their kids marry (homeless people) and produce babies to fill my colony that way?? :D
Original Poster
#36 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 10:46 PM
@LadyLestat, Great to hear and yes you can! You're always free to bend the rules to make them suit your own story better.

Oh no, @indigoskycaller! I've had that happen to me too, it's no fun.

@wingit, Nice to meet your new smuggl... I mean settlers. I hope they have a less dramatic life than their predecessors. I wish them luck and many cool days far away from grills!
Test Subject
#37 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 12:18 AM
@Aislynne - Sorry! But I have another question (I'm difficult lol). If there is no electricity does that mean that I cant use a stove or lights until I unlock it?? I noticed they weren't a part of the list that was with the rules.
Original Poster
#38 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 10:21 AM
@LadyLestat, I'm always happy to answer any questions you may have! I recommend using Auld Crow Wood-Burning Cookstove and ICEBox Vintage Refrigerator (the one that looks more like a cupboard than a fridge) for cooking before you unlock electricity. As for lamps, there are some nice oil lamps and candles that you can use.
Test Subject
#39 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 1:30 AM Last edited by Reina-Rose : 26th Oct 2014 at 2:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Aislynne
@LadyLestat, I'm always happy to answer any questions you may have! I recommend using Auld Crow Wood-Burning Cookstove and ICEBox Vintage Refrigerator (the one that looks more like a cupboard than a fridge) for cooking before you unlock electricity. As for lamps, there are some nice oil lamps and candles that you can use.

Whoops! I remembered TV etc but forgot all about the stove so I'll have to go back in and edit it so that my store will better work with the challenge. I have the other pictures of it done so it should be easy enough to go in and replace it. Could perhaps mean I will have to sell some stuff if it is more expensive to buy since the family pretty munch is broke by now lol.

@@wingit how did they manage to burn up? Did the fire spread? I've never seen anything like that before, especially with both of them dying. Then again, even if only one died it wouldn't have been much of a success for that matter lol

@indigoskycaller I hate when that happens :/ Luckily I haven't had anything like that happen so far in Sims 4. Finger's crossed. How's your new game going?
Test Subject
#40 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 4:43 AM
@Reina-Rose The poor things burned up from using the charcoal grill. For some reason, I couldn't get them to move or extinguish the fires, and they spread like crazy. It was so frustrating! They both died the first time. Hubby was left alive the second time, but pleading with the Reaper failed. I started my poor settlers off with only a fridge and the grill, thinking I would have them earn the wood stove. I'm still pretty nervous about another grilling incident, so I may have my sims sell off some some things to buy a stove sooner this time around. It's a good thing the oil lamps aren't flammable in the game lol.
Field Researcher
#41 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 11:33 AM
This is my heir .

Don't you love her smirk?
Test Subject
#42 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 6:46 AM
i can't believe it. My sci fi settlers just had their second set of twins! Serenity actually went into labor while she was baking the birthday cake for her twin boys. Now she and Malcolm have two teenagers and two infants. I'm in a state of disbelief. Time to add on to the house.
Test Subject
#43 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 3:18 PM
What is everyone doing with their YA family members when they move out? I'm sorely tempted to move one of them in with a hotheaded, evil YA from one of the other families...just for fun. He is gloomy and a snob, so family visits should be entertaining.
Original Poster
#44 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 6:37 PM
Haha, good pic, indigoskycaller!

Wingit, that sounds like a plan! I moved my heir out when she got married and left her parents and siblings in the original house. Too bad that there isn't any story progression in the game, because it'd be fun to know what they'd get up to.

How are you guys doing with the challenge? How many people do you have in your colonies? And has anyone had any interesting random events?
Test Subject
#45 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 1:18 AM
@Aislynne Of course I should move my heir out. What was I thinking? He and his twin just aged up, and he doesn't need to be burdened with his elder parents and their younger twins, poor thing. I'll leave the gloomy snob to take care of the family. Thanks for this challenge; it's so much fun. At the end of generation 1, I have 13 people in the colony. They have a church now.
Original Poster
#46 Old 7th Nov 2014 at 3:42 PM
@wingit, I'm so glad you're enjoying the challenge!

Yesterday I ran into an interesting story based on this challenge written by Rythm2 from the Sims 4 forum. I got the permission to publish a link to the story here, so here it is: http://pioneersims.wordpress.com/20...en-1-chapter-1/. The first chapter is up and I recommend reading it, it's very good!
Test Subject
#47 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 12:38 AM Last edited by rythm2 : 8th Nov 2014 at 1:27 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Aislynne
@wingit, I'm so glad you're enjoying the challenge!

Yesterday I ran into an interesting story based on this challenge written by Rythm2 from the Sims 4 forum. I got the permission to publish a link to the story here, so here it is: http://pioneersims.wordpress.com/20...en-1-chapter-1/. The first chapter is up and I recommend reading it, it's very good!

So after you asked me, I realized I actually have an account on here. Heh! Thanks for linking to my challenge! I'll hopefully be updating tonight, but I want to update some additional random events in my thread.

ETA: I have some of your random events listed in my thread, if you want me to take them down I can but it was just easier for me to see them there.
Scholar
#48 Old 10th Nov 2014 at 7:10 PM Last edited by Enki : 13th Nov 2014 at 2:26 PM.
I´ve played the first two days of this and as always when starting something new, I´m super-exited.

The randomizer gave me Joke Star (Mean, Glutton, Romantic) and Chief of Mischief (Music Love, Active, Mean) for my starting couple, which is why I made them exiled petty criminals. I hope the links to my simblr work (most entrys are not yet published). As you can see, atm I´m experimenting with how to present the chronicle... still undecided between first person, player comment or storytelling mode.

http://enkisstories.tumblr.com/post...ttler-challenge
http://enkisstories.tumblr.com/post...n-under-there-s
http://enkisstories.tumblr.com/post...some-seeds-jack
http://enkisstories.tumblr.com/post...-what-passes-as
For more chapters click "TS4 Settler challenge" in the blog´s sidebar, it should bring up the whole chronicle in reading order.
Test Subject
#49 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 6:51 PM
@Enki, I love your story! I'm organizing my screenshots and trying to work up the courage to create a blog devoted to my scifi pioneers. I began rolling Random Events in generation 2, and the very first one was a Casanova. I laughed myself silly. I hope everyone else is having as much fun as I am.
Scholar
#50 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 8:07 PM
Hi @wingit, yes, please create a blog! If you need to muster courage, just look at my very first entries with the stoneage sims from last year - they are pretty awful, but nobody gave me flak about them.

How are you all handling the events when you have to create a baby in Manage Households? I rolled Spring Faire and just gave my only neighbor a child, because you cannot create babies in CAS. (And the poor girl had arrived in the colony just that same day ). I didn´t want to go through natural conception, because I do not trust my settlers not to develop unwanted relationships in the meantime.
Page 2 of 6