Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#26 Old 25th May 2008 at 10:55 AM
Aww, come on guys- surely you've seen this enough times by now to know it's not the song that wins it, but the nationality of the singer? All neighbouring countries vote for each other- and war allies count for a lot, too!
Advertisement
#27 Old 25th May 2008 at 10:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by flashbangg
I can't believe Greece came so near the top; it sounded too Americanised to me, though I'm guessing they're a famous group over there. That's the problem with the UK. We always choose some random person with a song that's never going to win, instead of choosing a well-known pop group...

Greece deserved this and mostly she deserved to be the winner...but thats my opinion
Test Subject
#28 Old 25th May 2008 at 11:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Aww, come on guys- surely you've seen this enough times by now to know it's not the song that wins it, but the nationality of the singer? All neighbouring countries vote for each other- and war allies count for a lot, too!

Yes that is so true! If you have enough neighbours you'll probably get many votes..
Personaly I liked Denmark the best, and Greece was pretty good too.. but I actually didn't like Russia at all..
Test Subject
#29 Old 25th May 2008 at 11:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HRAKLHS
Greece deserved this and mostly she deserved to be the winner...

I wasn't saying that Greece didn't deserve it, I just didn't like that particular song. However I think we'll have to agree to differ, since everyone is bound to want their own country to win
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#30 Old 25th May 2008 at 11:30 AM
I think everyone wants the song they like best to win, and that's mostly going to be the song that most closely matches their culture- i.e., their own country or neighbouring country. However, the political voting in the last few years has become so predictable that it does detract from the winner's glory- I feel sorry for the winning entry because people are saying it is a political win.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7418959.stm
And Terry may be quitting, even though his native country (Ireland) won a couple of times in recent years:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7418940.stm
#31 Old 25th May 2008 at 11:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by flashbangg
I wasn't saying that Greece didn't deserve it, I just didn't like that particular song. However I think we'll have to agree to differ, since everyone is bound to want their own country to win

Yep you are right
I forgot to write that is my opinion
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 25th May 2008 at 11:42 AM
I didn't really saw a lot of them (I don't find it that interesting)

But how could Russia have won?? I was like WTF!! with that ice XD

75 cents should have won, just for the fun of it
Test Subject
#33 Old 25th May 2008 at 11:46 AM

And Terry may be quitting, even though his native country (Ireland) won a couple of times in recent years:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7418940.stm

If Terry quits, I don't see what will make me watch this show. The only interesting thing in Eurovision are is comments.
Field Researcher
#34 Old 25th May 2008 at 1:14 PM
I wanted Turkey to win and I'm from the Uk, so I don't think it has to do with similar cultures - I just love rock music and their song. I also wanted Norway simply because it was a decent piece of music...shocking I know, from a Eurovision contest
Forum Resident
#35 Old 25th May 2008 at 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anyerfillag
I wanted Turkey to win and I'm from the Uk, so I don't think it has to do with similar cultures - I just love rock music and their song.

Totally agree with you there. Deffinitely liked the Turkey entry, makes a change from all the cheesy pop countries sing. But, I also like the slightly bizzar entries. Latvia were very amusing with all the pirates, and if any entry make me laugh, I want them to win hands down. Sadly, they didn't.
Original Poster
#36 Old 25th May 2008 at 2:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stariscool
Totally agree with you there. Deffinitely liked the Turkey entry, makes a change from all the cheesy pop countries sing. But, I also like the slightly bizzar entries. Latvia were very amusing with all the pirates, and if any entry make me laugh, I want them to win hands down. Sadly, they didn't.

Yep, it's the bizarre ones that make Eurovision great. Does anyone remember the drag queens/kings from last year? They were hilarious! And I did want the Latvian pirates to win. Sadly, it's only ever the politics that decides (though congrats to Russia).

I actually thought Andy was our best (UK's) contender in years, and it was certainly one of his better performances. I was surprised he came last- in my opinion, he should have been above at least half the others. Darn politics... :smash:
Forum Resident
#37 Old 25th May 2008 at 3:46 PM
I think the last time I watched Eurovision was back when I was in middle school. Anyway, then I realised it was not a song contest but competing in who puts on the best(aka most awful) show and I stopped watching.

Our country(Estonia) didn't bother this year. The song maker tried to do the crappiest song as possible(He later realised he failed, could have been crappier). Too bad people had no sense of humour and didn't get what the purpose was. Basically, we were mocking the Eurovision contest, by sending our three comedians, who had their own popular show once, singing nonsense. Many Estonians were furious(obviously didn't get the point).

I didn't watch the whole thing, only our performance and some others. We didn't get past semifinals, but that's not important at all.

Many Estonians were also furious that Russia won(We gave 12 points to Russia). Saying that it were the russians living in Estonia who voted for Dima Bilan. I'm sure most don't mind though. I don't. Dima seemed so happy, so it's good. I didn't like his song this year though, the previous one was much better and catchier.

Too bad I missed the turkey though.

edit: Oh and I got a deja vu with the white Angel man with white hair and wings. I think I've seen that done before. :/
#38 Old 25th May 2008 at 3:58 PM
In my opinion it's sometimes amusing to watch, although from a competition point of view rather pointless since all the voting seems far too politically based rather than about the music itself.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#39 Old 25th May 2008 at 6:11 PM
Personally, I could've never thought Russia would win, from a performance point of view. I mean, two minutes after hearing the song, I still find it impossible to remember the melody. I can hum half a dozen of the other songs, but that one just doesn't stick. So how on earth it could win, even WITH the 'buddy buddy' voting, I don't know. There were other neighbouring countries that had far better songs. But oh well. :shrug:

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Forum Resident
#40 Old 25th May 2008 at 6:25 PM

For a lot of countries, this is true, but I've seen a couple who voted for really nice songs. And I'm happy to say that my country did that too (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

But I like Eurovision, especially the funny songs. This year I really liked that 'bedtime/sleep' song, that was really beautiful! Does anyone know which country sang the song and what the name of the song is?

And I didn't really like the Russian singer. He seemed so full of him self... But that icedancer in the middle was really cool. :P
Forum Resident
#41 Old 25th May 2008 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aimsme
Yep, it's the bizarre ones that make Eurovision great. Does anyone remember the drag queens/kings from last year? They were hilarious!

The Ukraine entry from last year was fantastic! Was my favourite by miles. The drag queen was just too funny to watch, and THAT is why I watch the Eurovision, for all the fun entries. With the political voting, why bother trying to win, just do it for the fun! That's what I think we (the UK) should do. Sod trying to win it, because I don't see it ever happening, we should just do it to entertain the public, have a laugh. It's not a serious competition. If it was, we wouldn't put mediocre acts forward. No offense to Andy Abraham, but we could manage a lot better surely? Britain has plenty of talent. Why not choose an X-factor winner rather than a runner up? I guess, in some ways, you can call me a hypocrit, because I hated Scooch last year. Even though they were just so god damn awful, it was more embarrasing than amusing. Guess it's drag queens and randomness that amuse me. Bring on the Latvian Pirates anyday and I'll be fine.
#42 Old 25th May 2008 at 8:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kipsnif
But how could Russia have won?? I was like WTF!!

Same here. I mean, the song was OK, but not the best.
I liked Turkey, Greece, Latvia.
#43 Old 25th May 2008 at 9:12 PM
I really don't see why the UK even bothers to take part any more, nobody ever votes for us, Ireland didn't even give us top points! Especially if Terry is leaving as well, his drunken comments are the only reason that I bother watching it!
Forum Resident
#44 Old 25th May 2008 at 9:47 PM
The only reason russia won was because they bordered lots of countries....thats the main line...

The UK will never win again because we are an island and everyone hates us..(for some reason).

Russia's song was total crud and its becoming too predictable....The UK should back out. we pay for much of it and we get no points..not even 1 from most countries...we are total mugs.
#45 Old 26th May 2008 at 10:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TingTong
The only reason russia won was because they bordered lots of countries....thats the main line...

The UK will never win again because we are an island and everyone hates us..(for some reason).

Russia's song was total crud and its becoming too predictable....The UK should back out. we pay for much of it and we get no points..not even 1 from most countries...we are total mugs.

Agreed. The only reason we qualify is because we put so much money in!
#46 Old 27th May 2008 at 6:25 PM
The only people who vote for us are Ireland, which just proves it's all about location and politics nowadays. I think part of the reason the music on Eurovision is so cheesy and outdated, is because real, talented musicians just aren't willing to take part. Imagine you're a very talented musician, who's sold millions of records and gotten a place in the charts several times. Now imagine you take part in a programme where your competition are crudely dressed women and pirates. It'd be pretty embarassing if you lost.
#47 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 11:56 AM
I liked the Polish entry. I think it came last, or near enough
#48 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 9:37 PM
i don't watch eurovision anymore since i think the voting is a bit unfair! ofcoarse ur neighbor country is gonna vote best for u and finkand only has like 3 neighbors! :P

i was sooo imbarrased when finland won with LORDI! xD it was on the radio here forever!!! xD xD xD still is sometimes!!!! LOL!
Forum Resident
#49 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 9:42 PM
Lordi was fun. I think much better than the song that won this year.
#50 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 9:45 PM
haha..yea i guess! russia should have not won! that song was sooooo boring and chees! :P
Page 2 of 2