Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#151 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thisfatfunnylife
This might be overkill but I thought this might help.... seriously considered adding Sarah McLachlan music for humor but... felt a bit too much Still, hope it helps. Simmers Across the Globe Video

Some sort of music would help, I think. Just reading silent text in a video made me wonder why on earth it was a video.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#152 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 12:28 AM
@Rosawyn fixed music has been added!
Mad Poster
#153 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Airazor65
They'd closed my Origin account due to inactivity (yes, they will in a few months-- not years)
Then maybe I haven't got the UC after all. The only time I've ever accessed my Origin account was back in July 2014 to register my copy of the UC. I've never actually installed it -- I had it on the best authority that to try to run a Sims 2 game engine above OFB might burn out my computer's integrated graphics chip. So I've continued to run my disc based game.

On the subject of new PCs not having a DVD drive: My computer is a small netbook -- it's never had a built-in DVD drive -- it would be impossible to fit one into such a small computer. Instead I have an external USB DVD-RW drive. I used it 6 years ago to install my game, and I've used it ever since to start the game. I also use it to regularly back up my game to DVD-RW discs. It really isn't a problem at all. (By the way I use the netbook at home as a desktop replacement with external keyboard, mouse and monitor, but when I want to take it with me, I have a really portable lightweight PC.)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#154 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 3:07 AM
Andrew, go to Origin and download it. Park it on your desktop. you don't have to use it. Just go ahead and get it. If you have an exterior drive, move it over there.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#155 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 4:33 AM
I hope Origin hasn't deleted my account. I'd be rather annoyed if they have, because Sims 2 isn't the only game I have on there. Okay, so I bypass Origin for Sims 2 and I haven't played DA: Origins for ages, but don't delete all my stuff, damn it!

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth searching for second hand disk copies of K&B and Glamour Life. They're the only packs I bought online ( and therefore lost), so if EA does pull the UC and I'm left with just my disks then I won't have them.

Also, Andrew. You need a new computer. XD
Mad Poster
#156 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 4:59 AM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#157 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 6:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimplySimPro
The petition is still going strong. We’re up to 363 signatures but the next goal is 500 and 1,000. We can’t do it without all of you! Please go sign if you haven’t already!

Petition for EA

You can share your petition on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/

https://www.reddit.com/r/sims2/

And also on OF:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_uS/ca...eral-discussion
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#158 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 9:19 PM
In fact, in order for the game to be fully available to the players and so that there are no situations with the deletion of accounts, the game must be free DRM. But Sims 2 already is DRM free game, Securom was deleted by update for UC. So question: why game don't available on GoG?

https://fckdrm.com

It is from CDProject.
Theorist
#159 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 1:24 AM Last edited by PenelopeT : 9th Nov 2018 at 1:52 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
Why would Origin delete your account? I hope it doesn't delete mine!

I had not logged into my Origin account since getting the UC as backup more than 3 yrs ago, but did so after reading this. And while my account is still active (most likely due to the fact that I have over 600 DLC purchases from before my "I'll never again buy another EA distributed anything" pre-2011 days that can be re-downloaded), they have removed all of the digital copies of the Sims 3 EP's and SP's that I had, as well as any Sims 2 EP's and SP's that had been digitally stored and ported over from my old EA account to Origin. So the only things that are now available on my account are the base game for Sims 2, Sims 3 and the UC....as well as all of the DLC I purchased.

So yes, even if they do not delete your account for being inactive, they very well may remove digital copies of your purchased games.

However, most companies will tell you in fine print that any purchased digital content (music, movies, books) can and may be removed at any time. So there really are no guarantees...which is why most companies also encourage customers to download purchased items to a storage device, or somewhere items can be permanently stored.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Theorist
#160 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 1:17 PM
I just logged into my account for the first time since I got the UC and yeah mine still exist as well. So does that mean my account should be good for now, seeing as I have logged into it, meaning it's technically not inactive?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Theorist
#161 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
I just logged into my account for the first time since I got the UC and yeah mine still exist as well. So does that mean my account should be good for now, seeing as I have logged into it, meaning it's technically not inactive?

At this point I'd just do a quick login once or twice a year if you're concerned. That is all I plan on doing from now on.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Alchemist
#162 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 4:13 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 9th Nov 2018 at 12:57 PM.
I haven't logged on in years probably, but I just did to check. The only thing there is UC but it just says "play on origin." If I click that, it asks if I need to open or install Origin. I don't want to do either. Is there a way to download UC to back it up, OR would it work as a back up if I just make a safe copy of what I already have on my PC in the Origin Games folder?
Mad Poster
#163 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 1:48 PM
I don't play sims on origin, but I do log in every day to play plants vs zombies. It's a fun little game I enjoy, and it keeps my account active.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#164 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Also, Andrew. You need a new computer. XD
Unfortunately I fear you may be right. I'm really not bothered about the low resolution graphics or the lack of the later EPs -- I rather like my game exactly the way it is. No, it's my hard disk -- I'm afraid it's dying. The reason I haven't posted for about 48 hours is because my computer couldn't start. It only booted tonight after Windows Startup Repair had been running continuously for 22 hours. I keep having to run CHKDSK, and it keeps identifying and marking more bad sectors in my disk. I hope I can get a new hard disk fitted to the old computer, but I suppose I may have to buy a whole new PC. If I do have to get a new PC, then I hope I still have an Origin account with the UC in it.
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I'm starting to wonder if it's worth searching for second hand disk copies of K&B and Glamour Life. They're the only packs I bought online ( and therefore lost), so if EA does pull the UC and I'm left with just my disks then I won't have them.
I'd strongly recommend that you do get them. As far as I know they're still available quite cheaply, but they're bound to become dearer as they get rarer. However, if EA have deleted two SPs that you paid for, I reckon you must have a fairly strong case against them. I can hardly think it can be legal to destroy something after selling it to somebody else. And, if even there's a clause in the EULA that says they can, then that clause probably isn't enforceable in law. In your case they might give you the UC back, even if they have closed your Origin account. Because, unlike me, you have paid for the UC. (Well you've paid for all the EPs and SPs, and the easiest way for EA to give them all is to let you have the UC.)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#165 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Unfortunately I fear you may be right. I'm really not bothered about the low resolution graphics or the lack of the later EPs -- I rather like my game exactly the way it is. No, it's my hard disk -- I'm afraid it's dying. The reason I haven't posted for about 48 hours is because my computer couldn't start. It only booted tonight after Windows Startup Repair had been running continuously for 22 hours. I keep having to run CHKDSK, and it keeps identifying and marking more bad sectors in my disk. I hope I can get a new hard disk fitted to the old computer, but I suppose I may have to buy a whole new PC. If I do have to get a new PC, then I hope I still have an Origin account with the UC in it.

I hope you have your neighbourhoods backed up to an external hard drive! And you won't regret getting a new computer and using the UC. Your sims can have pets (animal lover here) and go on holiday and have hobbies. And no offense, but your graphics are terrible. XD

Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I'd strongly recommend that you do get them. As far as I know they're still available quite cheaply, but they're bound to become dearer as they get rarer. However, if EA have deleted two SPs that you paid for, I reckon you must have a fairly strong case against them. I can hardly think it can be legal to destroy something after selling it to somebody else. And, if even there's a clause in the EULA that says they can, then that clause probably isn't enforceable in law. In your case they might give you the UC back, even if they have closed your Origin account. Because, unlike me, you have paid for the UC. (Well you've paid for all the EPs and SPs, and the easiest way for EA to give them all is to let you have the UC.)

I'm pretty sure that they can take it away at any time. I just hope that they won't. I'm okay on this computer, because I don't log into Origin to play, but this computer won't last forever (I'm scared to log into Origin in case they give me the final update that I don't want XD). I should look into those stuff packs anyway, just in case.
Mad Poster
#166 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 4:11 PM
FYI: Amazon is still selling the game and expansion disks. They are new and Amazon is holding a pre Black Friday sale RIGHT NOW.

@Andrew, if you can, go access your origin account today to be sure UC is still on there. Buy an external hard drive and move your hoods and your precious sims (you love yours more than anyone else I know) to it. Then when you get your new computer (I love my new HP), you can download UC, plop your hoods in, and the game can go on.

For everyone, I know ya'll don't like Origin, but try to log on at least once a week to keep your game. I've gone long, long periods without doing so, and haven't lost anything. But it's an easy step to ensure that your game is still there.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#167 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 9:15 PM
So...
Scholar
#168 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 11:05 PM
How do you back up your files? I have a 1TB External which I put most of my stuff on (things I'm not using or just backup stuff like CC etc), can I put it on there? Which files do I back up? If they remove UC off my Origin (not sure if they would because I use it every time I play UC), it won't be worth to backup my files because I only have Double Deluxe..
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#169 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 9:09 PM
A month has passed since the game was removed from the official access, but it is still in demand...
Mad Poster
#170 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 5:25 PM
Of course, and it always will be. How many times have we read people saying they used to play 3 or 4, but came back to 2? It really was the best of the bunch.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#171 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 10:37 PM
I know it is necroposting.

Here is what the tech support answers for game getting requests:

Quote:
I tried this the other day as well. Asked 2 different advisors, one was short with me and one was lovely. Both said it wasn’t possible, that the game is just too old so they’re not giving out codes anymore :/

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co.../a6oil3/sims_2/

Page 7 of 7