Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
#51 Old 8th May 2010 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
If the Hispanic students wear Latin American themed clothing for the 4th of July to stage a reciprocal protest, and are not suspended when they fail to comply to requests to change their clothing, then I think it's safe to say there's a double standard and not before.

Only problem with that is that July 4th is a national holiday, schools wouldn't be in session to begin with. If the Cinco de Mayo were a national american holiday then I could see a reason why some would be offended, but given that it isn't a national american holiday, they got their panties in a bunch over absolutely nothing. Also, the problem with this whole thing is that it wasn't the students wearing the american apparel being disruptive, it was the latino students that took offense and "felt disrespected" that were being disruptive.

If I were a school administrator at this particular school I would be on the side of the students that wore the american apparel, I would have told the latino students to, in lighter terms than this, "shove it, they are in america and american students can wear the american colours".
Advertisement
Theorist
#52 Old 8th May 2010 at 12:45 AM
That's probably why you aren't a school administrator at any school too, because you'd disrespect students and dismiss their concerns in favor of other students whose concerns you were more sympathetic towards. That, and you might get some kid killed because you didn't think their clothing was noteworthy enough.
Field Researcher
#53 Old 8th May 2010 at 12:54 AM
Quote:
That's probably why you aren't a school administrator at any school too, because you'd disrespect students and dismiss their concerns in favor of other students whose concerns you were more sympathetic towards.

If white kids complained about Latinos wearing Mexican flag colors on a patriotic American holiday, I'm sure most school administrators would dismiss this immediately in fear of being branded racist.

Quote:
That, and you might get some kid killed because you didn't think their clothing was noteworthy enough.

Why not take precautions against those acting inappropriately (the upset Latino students) rather than those merely practicing their freedom of expression?
Theorist
#54 Old 8th May 2010 at 1:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rainbowtwilight
If white kids complained about Latinos wearing Mexican flag colors on a patriotic American holiday, I'm sure most school administrators would dismiss this immediately in fear of being branded racist.

You're sure, huh? Good luck with that.

Quote: Originally posted by rainbowtwilight
Why not take precautions against those acting inappropriately (the upset Latino students) rather than those merely practicing their freedom of expression?

Because there is no freedom of expression on public school campuses. That's a myth. If there were an unrestricted freedom of expression and the like on public school campuses then we couldn't tell precious snowflakes what to wear, how they could wear their facial hair, that they had to have basic hygiene, that they couldn't talk during class, and all sorts of other things. Falling back on freedom of speech in a classroom setting is a non-starter. It doesn't exist. You can argue that it should exist, but it's currently not the law of the land and never has been.

Just to be clear though, the actual suspensions were not for wearing the clothes, per say, they were for refusing to comply with a request from school administrators:
Quote: Originally posted by The OP Article
When the boys refused to take off their flag t-shirts and bandannas, they were ordered to go to the principal's office.

When your teacher or principle makes a request that you change your clothing and you refuse, then that's when they start suspending you. You've made your point by showing up, anything else is disruptive.

From the Dress Code at Live Oak: "the school has the right to request that any student dressing inappropriately for school will change into other clothes, be sent home to change, and/or be subject to disciplinary action."

Furthermore, from other articles I've read the latino students weren't without their own issues, they also had articles of clothing as things like flags seized from them that day. That seems to suggest the five suspended students weren't target because of what they were wearing, but because they failed to comply with the request to adjust their clothing like everyone else was doing.
Instructor
#55 Old 8th May 2010 at 1:31 AM
In a public school (that has no uniform policy) a student should be free to rep their country any day of the year, whether it is a special holiday for another country or not. I have never heard of a rule of what you cannot wear on a particular day. Sure if you are involved in a celebration of a holiday of some sort it would make sense to wear whatever outfit the holiday suggest, but it obviously seems like these students who wore the American flag didn't care about (maybe didn't even know about) Cinco de Mayo and the truth is...that's not disrespecting the Mexico, Mexican immigrants, or Mexican Americans. Instead of rioting and protesting, the Mexican American students could have perhaps passed out small Mexico flags or pins for those who are unaware of the holiday - would've been more peaceful.

And as the part of the article where the Latino students say they wouldn't wear the Mexican flag's colors on 4th of July - it's not like it's a requirement to wear red, white, and blue on Fourth of July. I wore white and blue last year (because I don't own red), but no one shouted at me for representing Greece instead of USA. No one cares what colors you wear on Fourth of July, or if you are wearing the flag of another country - it's what makes this country what it is anyway.
Field Researcher
#56 Old 8th May 2010 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chadgraphix
*hides face*

This will blow over soon anyway. Nobody is getting the full story, and the media just makes our school looks bad.

I know what you mean, the media did the same thing with a race riot that happened at my high school a few years ago. Hope you guys can get past it as soon as possible!
Retired
retired moderator
#57 Old 8th May 2010 at 1:45 AM
Quote:
No, the idea that US citizens have an unconditional and universal right to free speech is false. It's a nice ideal, but it's just not true. It's specifically and explicitly not true in our public schools, else no one would ever get anything done because school children would be too busy exercising their "right to free speech" all day long.

I wasn't suggesting that conditions of free speech were limitless, simply that clothing is an incredibly minor aspect of speech. If the clothing had an incitement to violence on it, I'd get where the school was coming from. It didn't, and this sounds to me like a school overstepping the boundary by a long shot. The controversy is there, removing one innocuous visual signifier - incredibly open to interpretation - is going to do nothing but inflame it.

Quote:
That's probably why you aren't a school administrator at any school too, because you'd disrespect students and dismiss their concerns in favor of other students whose concerns you were more sympathetic towards.

But that's exactly what the school DID!

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Test Subject
#58 Old 8th May 2010 at 3:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Purity4
Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a holiday held on May 5 that commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza SeguĂ­n. It is celebrated primarily in the state of Puebla and in the United States.While Cinco de Mayo sees limited significance and celebration nationwide in Mexico, the date is observed nationwide in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day,the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico.

Before hearing about this yesterday, I wasn't aware that Cinco de Mayo existed. It certainly isn't celebrated where I'm from, so it is not a "nationwide observance." By the way, Wikipedia (where this excerpt is from) is NOT A RELIABLE SOURCE! It is user edited and can say whatever anyone wants it to. I can go and tell someone how to do brain surgery, having never been to med school.

Page 3 of 3