Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 10:12 PM
Default "Ginger" Intolerance - Redheads prejudiced against in U.K.?
Article here!

So apparently, redheaded folks are becoming teased/victimized about their haircolor. What's the deal with this? I personally think this is kind of dumb, and somewhat not necessary. Why pick on redheads? Aren't blondes given enough problems?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 10:20 PM
Why must people insist on stereotyping and being prejudiced against one particular group? I don't think this is right and, as a blonde who has to deal with the typical "dumb blonde" stereotype constantly, I think I know how redheads are feeling. This definitely isn't right and should be stopped, but the question is how. No matter how many preventative measures the government takes and no matter how many people they try to punish, it's never going to end. Sure, the general public may lose their fascination with taunting redheads, but then they will move on to brunettes. When they get bored with brunettes, they'll move on to racial prejudices, and so on and so on. I'm not trying to say that this stereotyping is right, but it's a fact of life and I don't think it's going to change. There's always going to be someone out there who enjoys other people's pain. If it's not one group, it's another.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 10:21 PM
o_O

Where the heck is this happening? I'm from the UK and I've never ever heard about the Prince Harry thing before, and the only thing I recognise from that article is about the Newcastle family - I've still not heard the so called bullies side of the story; I know that sounds harsh but in news reports like this you have to be careful about the facts and take on both sides of what happened.

I've not encountered this sort of behaviour at all, and I have several red head friends. One comediene Catherine Tate (who herself is a red head) takes the piss out of the prejudice in a sketch where she finds refuse in a Red Head Shelter - thats the best way to egt back at people, to take the piss!
#4 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyJade6480
Article here!

So apparently, redheaded folks are becoming teased/victimized about their haircolor. What's the deal with this? I personally think this is kind of dumb, and somewhat not necessary. Why pick on redheads? Aren't blondes given enough problems?

Hmm...I don't think picking on blondes or red heads in particular (being that I'm blonde and my best friend being a redhead) I've been blonde almost all of my life and people constantly think I'm stupid and ditzy because of it, but, not just blondes are dumb and ditzy. Anyone can be dumb and ditzy, hair color really doesn't matter. I haven't heard of this whole 'bullying on redheads thing' but I'm sure that it's no different than someone picking on a blonde or someone with any other hair color for that matter.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyJade6480
Article here!

It's the first time I've heard of readheads jokes. Blonds jokes are harmless (unless you tell one to a blonde who gets upset) but in the article you mentioned it says something about someone being stabbed because of this. This never happened with blonds as far as I am aware of, so maybe this discrimination, if it really is happening, maybe it has more to do with racism issues than with harmless teasing. Anyway, picking on someone's hair or skin colour, or physical appearance, just shows immaturity.
Test Subject
#6 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 11:09 PM
I don't get it...why pick on someone about hair color? I really don't understand.I wonder if redheads in the U.S. face prejudice as well.
Theorist
#7 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 11:12 PM
I dunno why anyone would pick on redheads...redheads are HOTHOTHOT!

But, seriously, if you discriminate on someone because of their hair color, you got problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Theorist
#8 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 11:19 PM
Sometimes my husband (from the UK) will say 'ginger hair, that's horrible' if he sees someone (mostly male)with red hair. I don't get it. Maybe because I grew up around dark haired people but I think red hair/reddish blond is gorgeous!! My favorite heart stopping color to see on a guy is reddish blond..

So, yeah, it's stupid to tease someone about this. I have a few fair haired cousins (one cousin married a man of Scottish extraction and his kids are 'ginger', one other married someone of Irish heritage and one of their kids is blond, the other red haired). I married a Brit and my son is dark like me (hair and eyes I mean..in England, they say 'dark' instead of brunette..we're all fair skinned, though.

PS ignore the smilie..I don't think it's funny.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Scholar
#9 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 11:22 PM
Okay, I have to admit to making redhead jokes. When I was younger, whenever I had a new boyfriend the first thing my mum would ask was "Has he red hair?", because she would joke that she didn't want red-headed grandchildren. I live in a small town in Scotland where about 1/3 of the people are redheaded, it's one of those towns where everyone seems to be related to everyone else so I guess that's why there is such a large proportion of them. We do make redhead jokes but would never do it in the presence of a redhead, or tease someone because they had red hair. People make jokes about the Scottish people, my husband has an English accent, even though he is Scottish, so he gets jokes made about being English. There are jokes made about being Irish, a nun, a woman, a man...

I think this is political correctness taken to far, soon we won't be able to tell jokes for fear of being accused of prejudice!
Field Researcher
#10 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 11:37 PM
In the States, redheads are associated with having fiery tempers as well as being feisty and smart. Are they associated with the same qualities in the U.K.? The supposed traits or quirks of redheads that are responsible for all this teasing weren't really mentioned in the article.

Maybe it has something to do with me sharing the same hair color/eye color as about 1/5th of the world, but I think redheads as well as natural blondes are extremely attractive. I think it's the quality of them being rarer hair colors that's so appealing, and not just the colors. In fact, I like every color BUT black for hair--I can't understand why anyone would compliment my hair .

"Make believe in magic, make believe in dreams
Make believe impossible, nothing as it seems
See, touch, taste, smell, hear, but never know if it's real"
--The Cure, "More Than This"
Forum Resident
#11 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 11:41 PM
thats not just the UK... its everywhere... normal because red is associated with clowns and funny things so people find it easy to make fun of us... i got called Ronald McDonald in grade and elementry school.

~*I'm a she*~
The Booty calls to you, you cannot resist it
I use Target and Kodak Gallery for my pictures, you should too... :D
My MTS2|Livejournal|Yearbook|Facebook
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Miao
I think it's the quality of them being rarer hair colors that's so appealing, and not just the colors.

Which is why people (including myself) have dyed their hair blonde/red/etc. I even dyed my hair black. Darker looks better with my fair skin than my natural dark blonde. :D

But I don't understand why redheads are considered so bad. I know that redheads were considered witches back in the old days (but so were lefthanded people--like myself). I remember an episode of Southpark where Cartman went on a rampage against "Gingers" and started acting like Hitler. Still did not find it amusing at all.
#13 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 11:51 PM
Why would people pick on someone because of their hair color?! Even to the point where redheads are being KILLED? That's just crazy. I don't know anyone who is picked on because of red hair, maybe it's just in the UK or not in my area at least.

Personally, I think redheads are really cute, in fact I dyed my hair red a couple weeks ago!
#14 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 12:03 AM
I didn't think gingerism was a new phenomena.. ;P

Yeah, gingers tend to have a more fiery personality.. at least in my experience. The more they get teased because of their hair colour, the more they snap back so it's a downwards spiral.

Personally I like red hair and I've dyed my own hair red before, both by accident and on purpose. Not strawberry blonde or orange hair, but proper rich auburn hair. I love that colour. I think it's just the associated temperament that goes with it. My ginger friend gets called Madam Rouge or alternatively, The Earth - she got this when she dyed her hair brown, the idea being that she had a muddy brown exterior but a fiery core.. She takes them all in good humour. It's either that or blonde bimbo, or boring starchy brunette.. or witch/goth/emo.. Theres something for everyone
Test Subject
#15 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 12:21 AM
My son has red/reddish gold hair and most people love it. He had a few kids when he was younger giving him a hard time about it but I think it had more to do with the fact that his name is Berrit which rhymes with carrot.
Other than the family that had to move and the guy who was stabbed in the back, the bullying aspect of being "ginger" seems a bit silly. People will always find something to pick on another whether it be hair colour or something else. Bullies seem to have an uncanny knack of finding something different about another person to use as an insult.
Theorist
#16 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 1:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Miao
. In fact, I like every color BUT black for hair--I can't understand why anyone would compliment my hair .

You sound like me. I hate having black hair. But my husband loves it..! To each his or her own, I guess. I'm very fair so it's a bit startling sometimes. They call it contrast coloring. I'd still rather have reddish or blonde hair.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Test Subject
#17 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 2:21 AM
We were talking about red haired people getting attacked or hated because of their hair, now you guys are talking about how you guys don't like black hair. Now I am starting to see how red haired people feel, in a way. You guys kind of sound like the rest of the world(mostly males), blond this, light hair that. Not everyone can have light hair, eyes, or skin for that matter (a little off topic, I know). I don't have black hair, I have brown hair, naturally, but when I was little I had black hair, but as I got older it turned brown. :rant:

Yes, I know everyone has there own preferences, but I had to let it out...*sigh*
I wish people would stop picking on/hating people because of their haircolor/race/etc.
Scholar
#18 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 2:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Haylifer
I didn't think gingerism was a new phenomena.. ;P

It certainly isn't.

It all started with a mutation in the melanocortin-1 receptor (Mc1r) gene. Did you know the same gene is responsible for that ginger colouration in all mammals? Take some examples:

Orang-utans

Ginger tabbies

Lion Tamarin

And so on.

However, in most mammals (primates possibly not, which may explain why it's more common in them than other animals) you also need the ASIP gene, so that you can successfully switch to producing phaeomelanin (the orange-red pigment). This ASIP gene is not always expressed in most animals, which is why in many animals the red colouration is limited to certain regions. But, remember also that switching to this lighter pigment over the darker eumelanin will result in very pale skin, and very evident red freckles when exposed to sunlight.

The gene is also found in many non-mammals, but only in a few does it cause the same colouration (like chickens).

Anyway, that's an interesting aside.
Test Subject
#19 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 2:31 AM
Does the gene run in dark skined people too? ...Just curious. :bricks:
Instructor
#20 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 2:39 AM
I dyed my hair red because I love it that much. My brother has red hair. My ex's brother has red hair. My daughter could very well end up with red hair. I'm hoping so...

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Proud single mom, firefighter's girl, and beautifully imperfect person.
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.
Scholar
#21 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 3:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sakura90
Does the gene run in dark skined people too? ...Just curious. :bricks:

They have the gene, that's for sure. But their Mc1r is producing eumelanin, hence the dark skin and dark hair. However, this gene isn't the only one that can produce red hair (it is in 80-90% of cases, but not all). So it's possible to have dark skin and natural red hair, though it won't be as bright red as those with the Mc1r variant gene.

These cell signalling pathways often interconnect. I'll search the literature and see if anyone has connected phaeomelanin to any brain physiology.
Theorist
#22 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 3:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sakura90
Yes, I know everyone has there own preferences, but I had to let it out...*sigh*
I wish people would stop picking on/hating people because of their haircolor/race/etc.

I would prefer light hair, but I wouldn't be me!

I guess if you grow up around something, it seems dull and not very unique. It's a strong statement saying I really HATE my hair color (last post)..I just find it boring... :disagree:

My husband says black hair is beautiful! He grew up in England and most people he knew probably had brown hair or lighter.

Instructor
#23 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 11:48 AM
I am a redhead and I hate it when people make jokes about us! I am the only redhead in my group but I have had close friends with people that have red hair! Like davious said: Redheads are hot! Lol

Cass, 22, Australia
My Simblr
Instructor
#24 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 11:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Modestgurl88
I don't get it...why pick on someone about hair color? I really don't understand.I wonder if redheads in the U.S. face prejudice as well.

I'm a redhead (well not one of those carrot-top red heads- more like auburn red) anyway, I have never faced prejudice is the US because of it.

Personally I think I get lots more positive attention from it than anything. Blondes and brunettes are commonplace- redheads, especially ones with my color red- are far more rare. (And those of you who dye your hair red- we can tell because it doesnt look natural. You have to have the right 'coloring' or the dye job is obvious!) Of course, my friends tease me with the 'Ginger' thing, but its all in harmless fun.
#25 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 12:08 PM
My friend sam was born a red head and has most of her late teens early twenties doing everything to her hair to turn it blonde. I personally think she looks better as a redhead. I think the hair colour is lovely and I have spent my late teens and early twenties dying my hair an auburn colour. (which I probably don't have the colouring for)

Its personal preference and to be victimised for something as silly as your hair colour disgusts me.

Page 1 of 4