Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 8:08 PM Last edited by Aaron4Ever : 10th Jan 2015 at 6:17 PM. Reason: Renamed.
Default Police Shootings, and How They Are Changing Citizen's Views of the Police
Here we are now, four months since the Ferguson Riots, and the verdict is due. I personally want justice, just like all my partners up in MO. The shooting of Michael Brown was sickening. I was an avid reporter on instagram, posting four posts as associated press, using downloaded images.

Now here we are, trial be coming. Since no-one started a proper thread, discuss.
Trial verdict is not jail for Darren Wilson. Here's a link to another thread. http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=542460
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 5:32 AM
There is no "verdict due" on the police shooting in Ferguson. There is a grand jury decision coming that will decide what, if any, charges the Prosecutor will be directed against the police officer. We don't know if there will be a trial at this point. Right now the main story is the wait, and the weird, weasel way the AG presented options to the grand jury to cover his ass. Honestly, if I were on that grand jury I'd be out for blood against the bastard - he's set them up for all sorts of bullshit no matter what they conclude, including threats on their lives. If there's anything to take away from Ferguson, it's that Missouri justice is assholes top to bottom, whether they're legally justified shooting people or not.
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 9:01 PM
The grand jury descicion is tonight!... wherever it is being held. At 8pm. Not GMT.
Entertain yourself until my post comes along.
Scholar
#4 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 2:22 AM
Jesus, they drag it out like it's an American Idol elimination.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Theorist
#5 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 2:32 AM
Well that's what it is to most people: Reality television. A game. Most people really just don't have any comprehension how out of control the "justice system" is in this country. They whinge and whine about the military industrial complex without even understanding funding cycles and how government contracts work, but throw in a badge and suddenly people throw out all common sense and hand them the keys to the castle without ever understanding what they're legislating away.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 2:34 AM
No charges will be filed, it looks like.

I haven't been following this issue enough to render an informed opinion on anything about it, so I'll just leave it at that.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Theorist
#7 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 2:43 AM
Wouldn't be surprising if they couldn't reach agreement to indict. After that, I don't know what the deal is with a circuit judge not wanting to release grand jury evidence to the public when it's this relevant and important to those who live in Ferguson. What the hell point is there to a Department of Justice investigation of Ferguson PD if it's going to be hidden away from the people it affects? If they can't indict Wilson now then the Brown family can still take it take it to civil court, but at that point the most they could do to Wilson is make him pay monetarily. I know it may not be possible, but imo the entire Ferguson PD should be put on trial for their behavior...

Officer Dan Page here with his anti-black speech and shoving Don Lemon because, you guess why.

This guy, Mr. I'll fucking kill you. That was early in the protests and the cops were openly antagonizing the protesters to make reason to use their weapons.

St. Louis PD gangsprayed this man when he had his back to them. And they got someone to say that he had a knife when he was unarmed. And after he was dead they cuffed him.

Also Ferguson officers wearing I am Darren Wilson bracelets and putting tape over their name plates. When the KKK are supporting I am Darren Wilson, wearing the bracelet sends a message.

There's supposed to be a separate DOJ investigations across 17 states. I thought they were going to "find a pattern or practice by the law enforcement agency that systemically violates people's rights." No word on when they will have results but it's important to note now and get back to later, if it doesn't just fade away.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 6:37 AM
I knew they weren't going to indict him, but it's still heartbreaking.
Banned
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 7:19 AM
CONFIRMATION: Darren Wilson not indicted, riots in the strets of Ferguson, protests in the streets of LA and NYC.
Theorist
#10 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 11:24 AM
Quote:
riots in the strets of Ferguson

Yeah, not to mention that the police in riot gear were egging them on and moving in on everyone there ( not just the troublemakers ), declaring it a violent protest from the start, using tons of teargas that should be classified weapons of war because they risk inflicting permanent damage and death, and telling the media that it was all only smoke. Oh, and deliberately blasting cannisters trying to score a hit to a seriously injured woman ( possible heart attack ) being carried by protesters, the police targeting her so that she might die of respiratory failure. Darren Wilson is just one officer, maybe innocent maybe not. But there's the police tonight acting as a prepared force showing us again that they're part of Feruguson's problem right on the news. Paint Ferguson tonight as riots, but count trolls in the police department as well.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 4:11 PM
Just listening to the Diane Rehm show on NPR - some guy was saying that Darren Wilson was a 'compelling witness' before the grand jury whereas the other witnesses were a bunch of liars.
Then I saw this piece of his testimony on NYMag - yeah, totally compelling, no need to investigate any further /s

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 7:01 PM
The verdict did not surprise me. The rioting, vandalizing, arson, looting, and violence did not surprise me. Civilization has reached a point where it's decline is obvious to more people. It's apex of peace and prosperity has already come and gone.

The worst is yet to come and you won't be fine.

Always do your best.
Theorist
#13 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 4:14 AM
Total US troops in Iraq to fight ISIS: 3,000
Total US troops in Missouri to fight brown people: 2,200

Yay freedom.
Scholar
#14 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 6:44 AM
You want to know what I think? And I'm sure many will disagree. I think no one knows what the fuck exactly happened, but yet somehow everyone has a strong opinion. There is evidence to support BOTH sides, and there is nothing conclusive. Additionally, I think that the cases of white police officers shooting unarmed black men COULD be anomalies that are given huge amounts of media coverage because of their linkage to one another, and because controversy makes for good news, but anomalies nonetheless. Basically what I'm saying is - I don't know which side to take, and I don't think anyone does based on the evidence and facts available. The only sources I trust just about completely are politifact and fact check.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
#15 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by efolger997
You want to know what I think? And I'm sure many will disagree. I think no one knows what the fuck exactly happened, but yet somehow everyone has a strong opinion. There is evidence to support BOTH sides, and there is nothing conclusive. Additionally, I think that the cases of white police officers shooting unarmed black men COULD be anomalies that are given huge amounts of media coverage because of their linkage to one another, and because controversy makes for good news, but anomalies nonetheless. Basically what I'm saying is - I don't know which side to take, and I don't think anyone does based on the evidence and facts available. The only sources I trust just about completely are politifact and fact check.

Well, I would just say that that's what a trial is for - to get to the bottom of what happened. And a grand jury is for deciding if there is reason to bring a case to trial - not to put the victim who is now dead on trial without representation and find him guilty of his own death.
Let's not forget how it all began - Michael Brown was walking in the street, nothing more. From there to dead in moments. That alone should be reason to bring the case to trial.
Instructor
#16 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoseCity
Let's not forget how it all began - Michael Brown was walking in the street, nothing more. From there to dead in moments.

Sure, that's how it all began. Nothing more..

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Mad Poster
#17 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 6:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frenchyxo22
Sure, that's how it all began. Nothing more..

Nice drive by - If you don't have a problem with shooting down people who are walking in the street, then I guess you're living in the right country.
Scholar
#18 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 7:10 PM
I think the officer should be getting some time in prison, but all these race rioters are fucking idiots. They cry injustice against minorities yet they destroyed a black woman's bakery.

"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end" - Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas
If you love Fallout and literacy, you'll ABSOLUTELY love my roleplay group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/127063690973781/
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 7:24 PM
Some people forgot (or maybe never knew) that Michael Brown committed a crime before "walking down the street." After that, Officer Wilson tried to arrest him. Witnesses disagree with each other (and sometimes with themselves) but forensic evidence reveals that Michael Brown was shot at close range after a struggle in the police car. Officer Wilson also ended up in the hospital from wounds inflicted by Michael Brown though his good health care made him look fine by the time of the trial. I can provide you with a source with a photograph of Officer Wilson in the hospital with bandages over one of his eyes, looking in rather bad shape.This particular case is not a drive-by shooting by a police officer. Please get your facts straight! If anyone wants a source, I will gladly point them to CNN, BBC, and local news sources.

Always do your best.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#20 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 1:23 AM
In fact, CCTV released today shows Michael Brown paying for his purchases before leaving the shop.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#21 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 5:48 AM
Fact Straightening
Quote: Originally posted by AzemOcram
Some people forgot (or maybe never knew) that Michael Brown committed a crime before "walking down the street." After that, Officer Wilson tried to arrest him. Witnesses disagree with each other (and sometimes with themselves) but forensic evidence reveals that Michael Brown was shot at close range after a struggle in the police car. Officer Wilson also ended up in the hospital from wounds inflicted by Michael Brown though his good health care made him look fine by the time of the trial. I can provide you with a source with a photograph of Officer Wilson in the hospital with bandages over one of his eyes, looking in rather bad shape.This particular case is not a drive-by shooting by a police officer. Please get your facts straight! If anyone wants a source, I will gladly point them to CNN, BBC, and local news sources.

I find it comical that you can confidently say a struggle happened in a police car when Michael Brown died at least 33 feet away from the police car. I repeat 33 feet. Unless he was some sort of Mr.Fantastic with amazingly stretchy arms he would no have been able to cause any bodily harm to "Officer" Darren Wilson which therefore disproves the close range theory ( Source ). Another thing laughable about your point is that the whole robbery of a store was never talked about until after Mike was killed. The owner of the store even stated that Michael Brown did not rob his store and no call about the robbery was made by anyone at the store. ( Source ) I believe you have a good amount of facts to straighten out.
Theorist
#22 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 6:31 PM
Maybe we can at least hope for a decent federal case. The state of Missouri might be in on the fix, but sometimes the FBI surprises me.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 6:57 PM
Here is but one CNN Source: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/25/us/fe...jury-mcculloch/
Here is one local news source near to the area: http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/d/...aDU667mx4RVQvpg
Here is a PBS report: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown...ctually-reveal/

Because of the "innocent until proven guilty" doctrine of our constitution (which is extremely important), one must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Officer Wilson wanted to kill Michael Brown and that is very difficult because self-defence is a good argument and the witnesses who testified against him were unreliable, and forensic evidence shows that Michael Brown was shot in the hand at less than 2 feet away while his hands were not up, which would prove that he was NOT "at least 33 feet away" away from Officer Wilson. Anyway, elfoger997 raised a good point, us users of internet forums do NOT know all the facts and the grand jury was presented with all the evidence on both sides and reached a decision without coercion. This simply means that I will not argue with the Grand Jury decision because quite frankly they know more and some distorted sense of "Justice" (that is really just a desire for revenge) is not going to help things.

--Ocram

Always do your best.
Banned
Original Poster
#24 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 9:34 PM
OFF TOPIC MODERATION
Someone is chain-disagreeing. Is it that guy who wants to make my life here a LIVING HELL?
Scholar
#25 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 2:18 AM
I found something that might be useful to the discussion. "Around the country, when compared to white men, African American men are much more likely to be shot by police. They are more likely to be arrested. They are more likely to be convicted. And for the same crime, African American men will on average serve 20% more time in prison than a white man."

So, essentially, what I feel and know is:
>> We have a problem with race in this country (I already knew this)
>> This problem includes the devaluaing of Black lives
>> It also includes how police treat African Americans, and possibly (probably) other minorities
>> young Black males are 21 times more likely to be shot by police than Whites
>> The stereotype persists that Black people, especially Black men, are more dangerous (I have seen people say this outright multiple times)
>> There is good reason to bring the case to trial (I don't know who is arguing against that though)

What I do not know is this:
>> If Darren Wilson's actions, specifically, should have been indicted
>> If Darren Wilson is telling the truth
>> What the solution to the race problem is overall, other than education and better officer training

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com

Page 1 of 3