Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 10:16 PM
Default Need help for Troubleshooting of Sims 2 on Win 10 - GTX 1080
Hey guys,

I'm reallly desperate currently... Despite all the well made tutorials how to make Sims 2 work on Windows 10 nothing really works for me!

Here, really quick my situation: I got the Ultimate Collection on Origin and get always the DirectX 9.0 compatibility error notification if I don't play it windowed! And if I do, I can use anything to enhance the resolution but it won't show up greater as the 600 x 800 size (not sure about the number xD But the smallest possible one, youg might know what I mean) and I even applied already the 4GB Patch and followed all the instructions from "The Jessa Channel!" in the long video.

So my questions are: is there anyway to fix this DirectX 9.0 compatibility problem and what am I supposed to do, so that I can enjoy my Sims 2 with high resolution in full screen?

Thank you so much in advance
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 11:09 PM
Moving to help.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#3 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 11:38 PM
1st thing 1st - have you made your GPU recognizable for the game? http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446 that's the beginning, the game does not understand what "GTX 1080" means, you need to teach it. Otherwise game drops to lowest possible solution.

have you actually installed the DX9c drivers? If you do not have them installed the GPU (whichever) pass the DX9 through it's own DX actual interface - it will be DX11 mostly without Win10 (and always DX12 on Windows10) - though this step may be completely omitted (with that card, there's no problem with lower efficiency) if you won't experience problem after editing graphics rules files.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 1:37 PM
I always get these messages when I haven't set up the game to run with my current computer.

The best place to start is definitely getting your 'Graphics Rules' config files to match up with your computer like ElaineNualla suggested.

I also Run the game in 'Windows 7 Compatibility mode' and 'Run as Administrator'. I did different checks until it finally worked, you can start with those. The Graphics Rules Maker program actually didn't work for my game so I used the original files posted in the original post. You just have to read through the 'Sims 2 and Graphics Cards - the fixes' thread and you should start to be able to fix the problem.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 4:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
1st thing 1st - have you made your GPU recognizable for the game? http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446 that's the beginning, the game does not understand what "GTX 1080" means, you need to teach it. Otherwise game drops to lowest possible solution.

have you actually installed the DX9c drivers? If you do not have them installed the GPU (whichever) pass the DX9 through it's own DX actual interface - it will be DX11 mostly without Win10 (and always DX12 on Windows10) - though this step may be completely omitted (with that card, there's no problem with lower efficiency) if you won't experience problem after editing graphics rules files.

Alright, that looks helpful! Thanks man, but the link you inserted doesn't work and do you mean actually through your second comment that I should just find a way to install DX9 on my Windows 10 PC? Because I'm not so sure about that xD Sry, probably because English isn't my first language though
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 5:10 PM
The link does work - I have just tested it.
Download the Graphics rules maker on the top of the page - it is a small program which should put the necessary files in the correct places.
If that does not work, you need to download another graphics card and do the installation manually - I use the Nvidia Texture Fix file found on the same page (link) - but there may be a newer card available somewhere.

I am not sure that you need to install anything - restart your computer, all dropped drivers should be put back - and do not use a CC or Registry Cleaner (they delete some of the .dll files that are needed for the UC to run) - except if you know exactly what to exclude.

I have used UC since it was released on Windows 7; then, since Windows 10 came out, I have used it on Windows 10.
Scholar
#7 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 7:51 PM
You might be in need of obtaining DirectX9c *if* after updating graphics rules file, placing appropriate fixes (as @Justpetro wrote) probably with shadow fix made by @SimNopke, you'll experience weird graphical behaviour of the game (though I doubt). Anyway the link is obviously:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dow...s.aspx?id=34429

The game needs to be run "as Administrator", as any software that old, compatibility mode necessity vary from case to case. Try with, try without, see what serve you better.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 9:28 PM
The shadow fix by Nopke - I used it for quite a long time, then, one day, when I did a 50/50, I found that I don't have that problem any longer. I have no idea what corrected it - but I do not need it anymore.
Some players still have to use it, though.
Scholar
#9 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 2:06 PM
well, I have leveled in the idiocy skill pretty much, when after some cleaning I recognized than my constant complaining of "shadow fix not working for me" is completely my fault - apparently I have had three different versions of this fix in different "fix" folders in downloads. Now everything is fine, and I earned another bar in "stupid player" proficiency. Good for me.