Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 5:23 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Jan 2019 at 1:45 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default SimPE preview problem
First off, my laptop is nearing its final days, and lately it's started to randomly turn off and then restart when something resource-heavy is going on (on resource-heavy lots ingame, a couple of times with Photoshop, but never with SimPE).

It did so quite unexpectedly today, while I was in the middle of a SimPE project. I waited until the laptop had restarted, and went back to SimPE. When I did, I noticed that the preview no longer showed any textures, just a white mesh. This is NOT a problem with the meshes or the texture resources, because the preview worked fine before my laptop shut off, and on those exact same meshes, and it also happens to other meshes that used to show up fine in the preview.

I think it's an issue with SimPE getting shut off suddenly, but other than that I don't know where to look for the problem or how to fix it. Has anyone else seen this happen, and if so, how to fix it? I really need my GMDC preview window working...

I've already tried restarting SimPE, and the computer did restart on its own, so another restart will probably not work. I've also tried restarting the layout, clearing the cache+history, reset layout, and pretty much everything else I can think of.

I'd rather not have to reinstall if I can avoid it.

Some files in the install location Data folder do show as if they're changed today, but I'm guessing they're meant to change if the Preferences menu is opened and/or used.
vport.set
simpe.xreg
simpe.layout
mru.xreg
layout2.xreg
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 16th Jan 2019 at 1:45 PM
Managed to fix ithe problem by deleting the files mentioned above. Not sure which file caused the issue, and my preferences were reset, but a little bit of editing took care of that.

Leaving this up here in case someone else stumble upon the same issue.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 11:30 PM
So. I have the same problem. I have no idea how, when or why it started. I have already tried reinstalling SimPE, that didn't help. I deleted the files simmer22 suggests to delete (and restarted SimPE), no change. Since I do make new meshes I do like to preview them in SimPE to make sure everything looks fine. So if anyone else has any ideas, please share!
Test Subject
#4 Old 24th Aug 2020 at 4:04 AM
I had the same problem and here is my instant fix..
In blue preview window, double right click which opens a window of settings.
Scroll down to the header settings. If not expanded click on + to expand it
Scroll to find Enable Textures
If it says FALSE click to highlight
Click arrow on right to open and change to TRUE
Close that window. In the Generic Rcol Editor heading on the far right click the Commit button.
Close and reopen SimPE That fixed the problem for me
Test Subject
#5 Old 24th Aug 2020 at 9:34 AM Last edited by brucedexter : 11th Sep 2020 at 6:04 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by danealaska
I had the same problem and here is my instant fix..
In blue preview window, double right click which opens a window of settings.
Scroll down to the header settings. If not expanded click on + to expand it
Scroll to find Enable Textures
If it says FALSE click to highlight
Click arrow on right to open and change to TRUE
Close that window. In the Generic Rcol Editor heading on the far right click the Commit button.
Close and reopen Simpe
That fixed the problem for me

Thank you very much, your steps helped me to get rid of the bug.