Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2016 at 4:09 AM Last edited by Mordecai and Rigby : 21st Feb 2016 at 4:35 AM.
Default Sims 1 isn't working on Windows 7...again...
In September 2015 there was an update, KB3086255, that wouldn't let you play the game. I removed it and it was fine.

However, I tried playing the game again today and it won't start. I searched for something recent but nothing came up. Now I'm looking at the current updates, there's a compatibility update that looks rather suspicious: KB2952664. I don't know what uninstalling it would do, so I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on?

EDIT: It installed twice. Also I uninstalled it and it still won't work.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 21st Feb 2016 at 11:26 AM
KB2952664 is just the Windows 10 update nagware, so it seems unlikely to be causing the issue.

KB3086255 backports a change from Windows 10, which disables secdrv.sys. As a result, Safedisc games (of which The Sims is one) will no longer launch as the copy-protection is prohibited from running. You mentioned removing the update, but maybe it has been installed again?

There's a workaround for getting affected programs to run again, but if this option fails then literally the only solution is to use a No-CD exe instead.
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Feb 2016 at 4:02 PM
Oh crap, KB3086255 has been installed again, last month. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Feb 2016 at 1:17 PM
It'll put it in there each time you install updates.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Test Subject
#5 Old 29th Feb 2016 at 1:15 AM
Just get VirtualBox and Windows Xp and you should be good to play it again, I do it, especially since The Sims killed my old hard drive.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 10:05 PM
Sorry to bump, but I'm having a similar problem only on Windows 8.1. Installed the game back in February last year and it ran fine. Haven't played it for about a year, and now I can't for the life of me get it to run. It just doesn't load.

Is there an update for Windows 8.1 that does the same? And how would I find it and remove it?

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 10:22 PM
It'll be the exact same update on 8.1 that is preventing it from running.

Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features and then click "View installed updates". Find KB3086255 and select the Uninstall button.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 10:22 AM
Thanks, Dorsal Axe. You made my day. It is now up and running again.

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 4:30 PM
Glad to help
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 4:59 PM
Thank you so much, Dorsal Axe! I had a whim to play TS1 for old time's sake, and it wouldn't work until I read your fix.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html