Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 8:59 PM Last edited by alexpilgrim : 15th Apr 2011 at 5:06 PM.
Default Simple, and hopefully useful info.
As I'm typing I'm thinking "who am I to say this?", but if this information is useful for just one player I'm happy. The fact is that many of us who are playing TSM have been simming forever, others have gone straight from TS2 to TSM, and others have jumped on the TSM bandwagon but have never experienced playing The Sims, so I thought this might avoid many weeping and gnashing of teeth, to use medieval jargon.

- Save, save, SAVE, for the Watcher's sake! Just get the habit of saving every Sim night, so if the next day your King is stuck in the woods or your Knight was killed in a duel you can just go back to the main menu without saving and just start all over the day before, without losing your whole game, quest or whatever happened since the last time.

- Save some more. Every time you finish a quest or quit the game (or as often as you see fit) copy your Kingdom folder from Documents > The Sims Medieval > Saves, and paste in a special safe folder somewhere else on your computer. You can even do this while the game is running. I said copy and paste, not cut and paste.

- Delete your cache files: CompositorCache, SimCompositorCache and CASPartCache are generated by the game every time you launch and might store unwanted information. Deleting them can fix a number of things, grown-child midgetism and stuck Sims, among many others.

- If you decide to mod your game make sure the Resource.cfg and d3dx9_31.dll files are properly located. If they are the mods work. If they don't work double-check. If they still don't work... ask for help.

- You only need to modify the Commands.ini file or install the "testing cheats enabled" mod, not both. If you have both they won't conflict, but the modder himself recommends using the mod (the .package file), as the modified .ini file might conflict with future patches.

- Don't use all your Quest Points unless you are really sure you don't want to port your Kingdom into the next Ambition or continue playing with it. Spending all your QP "locks" it and makes it useless, and you can play Free Time anytime you want between Quests during an Ambition.

- And save even more, back-up your game every time you test a new mod or think you are doing anything even mildly risky to your game.

- But most of al play and have fun!

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 2:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alexpilgrim
you can play Free Time anytime you want between Quests during an Ambition.
You can? How exactly? I've been playing this game since the day it came out and I had no idea that was possible.
Test Subject
#3 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 3:08 AM
TY I played the sims way back may have even been just the sims , this is all new to me so thanks again....
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 6:57 AM
You're welcome! Rosawyn, sorry, I forgot to put the link explaining about Free Time, silly me, check here.

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 7:58 AM
Thanks; missed that thread, prolly because I was playing the game non-stop for like the first week and not going online at all.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 11:28 PM Last edited by garghuul : 16th Apr 2011 at 1:22 AM.
I think the "Lost Child" quest acts as a sort of fake free-time quest, since it allows you to access any of your heroes you might want to tweak something with. Like say, have your Knight buy that Legendary sword your smith just made. Since Active heroes buying from each other is "unseemly."
Its low QP cost, difficulty, and length sort of makes it as such. Whether it was intended to be or not, that's how I use it.
Test Subject
#7 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 3:10 PM
Thank you so much for this information greatly needed.