Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 6:57 AM
grinevilly, you can play religion however you like in your game. That's what this thread is about, after all: the game. We all have our own ways that we play, and that's fine - in fact, I'd go so far as to say that's one thing that makes this game so great.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 7:06 AM
Grinevilly, I have more than one religion in my game? They are just supposed to be funny. Why are you so offended that pixel people who worship a llama don't like art?
Mad Poster
#78 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 7:18 AM
I did have an idea to make a hood where the two High Witches were the heads of two rival religions. Sims would all be expected to choose one side or the other, and give offerings to the High Witch of their choice in order to receive favour/blessings. I hadn't worked out the details, but there were of course going to be a small coven of rebel neutral witches who just wanted to live their lives and couldn't understand the rest of the hood and their silly squabbling. It seemed like a fun idea and I might just try it one day.
Mad Poster
#79 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 10:31 AM
My pixels have 3 religions (I don't have the mod-it interferes with the Visitor controller, for some reason):
Sex
Food
Money

Sounds suspiciously like most human beings, don't they?

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#80 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 12:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
My pixels have 3 religions (I don't have the mod-it interferes with the Visitor controller, for some reason):
Sex
Food
Money

Mine too, except Sim Sample who has just sex and grilled cheese!
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 3:30 PM
My game is sort of a neo-Colonial New England (aka "no way am I tracking down all of the CC I need to play a truly historical game"). It's actually quite religiously tolerant, so I've mashed together RL Christian groups present in the time period with TSM religions to create the following 5.
  • Jacoban. Basically the same as in TSM. Belief in an angry Watcher. Elaborate churches and a strict hierarchy.
  • Austere/Breakaway Jacoban. Like the Jacoban church they broke away from, they believe in, they believe in a wrathful Watcher. They broke away because they believe the best way to appease the Watcher is to live their lives according to a strict set of morals. They believe that spending time and effort on cathedrals and ornamentation distracts from living a life that pleases the Watcher.
  • High Peteran. Believe that the Watcher is pleased by art and elaborate worship. Their services are much like Jacoban services, but the overall theology is Peteran.
  • Radical/Mystical Peteran. Believe in the equality of all Sims and that every Sim has a direct connection to the Watcher. Services mostly consist of Sims sharing what they believe the Watcher is saying. No clergy, but there is a role of administrator to keep order in the services.
  • Intellectual Peteran. Believe the Watcher is best worshipped through the pursuit of a studious life. They'll eventually be the ones to set up a University in my 'hood.
Of course, even within a given church, there are varying levels of devoutness. Some sims faithfully attend twice a week, while others only show up for weddings.

Because of the small size of my 'hood, all Sims have to share one church and pastor. (He's an Intellectual Peteran-a compromise between my Austere Jacoban and my High Peterans.)
Mad Poster
#82 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 3:47 PM
I wish that someone would make a mod that combines Almighty Hat's G-Rated religion mod with Chris Hatch's original, so you can have all the options.
Field Researcher
#83 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 5:24 PM
I don't have any of the religion mods, but I am quite mad about building huge, fabulous churches. They just get married in them and then throw wild parties upstairs for the reception. (Huh. Sounds like a church I'd go to!) It's more about the building for me than it is about trying to impose a belief system on a bunch of pixels, ha ha. I've built a few synagogues too, after I found the stuff to do so (Retailsims, I believe).

I once had this cute little old nun (with custom nun clothing and a custom nun career), who turned out to be a bit of a flirt (!?) so the poor old thing didn't seem to understand that I expected her to behave in a nun-like fashion, but I loved her anyways. What I was really shooting for with her was trying to find a way that she could run an orphanage in her church. She lived in the church, and it was by no means one of my fabulous ones, it was pretty utilitarian. What she ended up doing was just adopting a bunch of kids from the hopper and raising them herself. I know somebody has an orphanage mod out there, but I haven't gone that far with it.

I've got some interactive objects, like a silver cross that sits on a table, which you can go to to read actual scriptures. They don't do anything for your motives, but it seemed like something a nun would do, so she had that. (Here it is, from Kevin'sHope: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=238400) Then there's a bulletin board that you can look at to pray for church-members who need it - that one maxes all motives, so it's handy! (Here it is, from NoRealLife2 http://modthesims.info/d/281645) I think I used to have a cross for the wall that did that too, but I don't have it anymore. (I've suffered several crashes over the years - crash and burn type crashes - so I've had to start over and to search for everything all over again.) Little things like that sprinkled all over the place somehow made it a little more believable that my darling old Sister Antonia was really a nun.
Mad Poster
#84 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 6:29 PM
In Tinsel Town, my pixels are all Quakers. They have a Meeting House, they do not believe in war, business is good (but not greed.), and being kind to everyone is their standard.

They'd like to be more like the real Quakers, but I guess they're just too darn lazy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakers

However in RL, I live about 30 miles from the last Shaker settlement in New England, Sabbathday Lake. Very simple and down to earth people-sad to say they will disappear from existence because one of their key tenets was to never have marry or have children.

They're also the makers of Shaker Furniture: https://www.maineshakers.com/

Recently they became news again when a bunch of punks decided that they would destroy the hay-field on the grounds. A massive group of people came to fix it and reseed it for them: https://www.maineshakers.com/repair...aker-hay-field/
Mainers do not take kindly to the destruction of any property, and this rankled the town of New Gloucester so much that about 100 people showed up to fix the field. The culprits have not been caught yet.

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Forum Resident
#85 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 11:12 PM
I've toyed with the idea of religion for my sim world, but I feel like it's a slippery slope to a binder full of sim stuff and more time writing and recording than playing. I have a lot of rules in place as it is, and I love the way I play, but it's enough admin with the need to note down a birthday here and there and recap each session in evernote. That said, y'all almost had me at 'Grilled Cheese Goddess Worshippers'. <wheezing with laughter> I might have to add that AND the grilled cheese aspiration back into my game.
Forum Resident
#86 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
grinevilly, you can play religion however you like in your game. That's what this thread is about, after all: the game. We all have our own ways that we play, and that's fine - in fact, I'd go so far as to say that's one thing that makes this game so great.

Yes, i suppose we can play it to be as hateful and mean-spirited as we want. However, i'm sure if somebody posted racial stereotypes or descriptions of anti-trans attitudes they played, the posts would be removed.

Nothing in my post broke any rules. Nothing in my post was even mean, nasty or negative. I asked for tolerance and understanding, and I asked for a more inclusive and welcoming tone. I thought that was the goal in this community, for ALL types of people. But you can't see that, because it was deleted and I was mocked by the moderator (completely inappropriate and uncalled for, I might add).

How about we change the reason for deleting my post from attacking me to the real reason: "religious intolerance and persecution".

-gE
>=)
Mad Poster
#87 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 12:58 AM
How about we shut down this thread right now?

@Mods-at the risk of being hysterical, I'd suggest you do so.

Reason-we have enough hate and discord over religion right now in the real world. Remember, Pittsburgh just happened.

*shrugs*
retired moderator
#88 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 12:59 AM
One of my favorite hoods ever kinda had religion in it. It was a mythological hood where the ancient Sim pantheon had awoken after a deep slumber to see time had moved on. That's how I rationalized minotaurs, fauns, and so forth using computers and telephones. The old gods still want tribute and worship, but many of the townspeople just wanted to live their "normal" suburban lives. You think your neighbors are bad? At least they don't have magical powers!

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Mad Poster
#89 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
How about we shut down this thread right now?
Oh please don't! It's an interesting thread and I'd like to contribute to it when I have a bit more time than I have tonight. There are a lot of interesting posts in the thread, and I personally couldn't see anything offensive either in LyleSnake's post that revived the thread, nor in the now-deleted reply be grinevilly. Just one or two people seem to be getting a bit too excited. Please everyone calm down and enjoy the thread. Isn't religion at its best supposed to be about love and peace? The Reverend Elspeth Anderson, Parish Priest in Veronaville, and the leading representative of religion in my game certainly thinks so.

Let's all kiss and make up! And be friends again!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#90 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 3:10 AM Last edited by grinevilly : 1st Nov 2018 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Syntax! Syntax! Syntax!!
@maybesomethingdunno -- Do you have faun stuffs in your game?? I've been looking everywhere and collecting faun items. I am creating a fraternity for my university hood, and the satyr is their symbolic mascot! I found a set of wearable accessory ram horns (it's ceremonial...) but they're like 84,598,662 polys.

If you could point me in the right direction, i'd be MUCH obliged!

Thanks, my friend!!

-gE
>=)
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#91 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 4:06 AM
@grinevilly Sadly, the computer that hood was on bit the dust. I think I got it from Marvine & BeosBoxBoy at InSim though? It's been a long time, so my memory is hazy on it.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Scholar
#92 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 4:37 AM Last edited by Sims2Christain : 1st Nov 2018 at 7:24 AM.
I was annoyed at the mythos of satyrs being only male so I downloaded female satyrs as well. Conversions of Marvine and Beosboxboy's satyrs.

http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...288&hilit=satyr

Update on my Rematra religion statistics.
God in first with 416 followers
Non religious in 2nd at 298 residents
Leonid (so that's his name!) with 269 residents is third most followed.
In with the least believers is Lindsay at 266 followers.
Alchemist
#93 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 12:41 PM
I've been working, off and on, on a way to make my sims choose their religion autonomously (big surprise - I'm looking for autonomy - I know). What I imagine is that an autonomous bookshelf that I plan to place at a general church/temple/synagogue/fair/community lot/library/whatever will have teen and adult sims auto-choose a religious text to read, the way they do mystery or whatever, and when they do, a book of that type goes into their inventory. Any sim with that book in their inventory is then assumed to be that religion and they become members of that church/temple/whatever. I would then assign them to a meeting group and they'd get called to services or whatever they might call them at that church or whatever they might call it. I haven't quite gotten it to work yet, but I like the idea a lot. I haven't even thought about what they believe or anything. My sims can all believe what they like. I just like the look of different houses of worship and all the accessories of them and like the idea of sims having a deeper level and connections with other sims that I don't plan out for them.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#94 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 3:16 PM
Just as a note - Religion in general is always a hot topic, so let's keep it civil (from all sides) and try not to fight too much. Thanks!

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
#95 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 4:59 PM Last edited by LyleSnake : 1st Nov 2018 at 5:54 PM. Reason: typos and grammatical issues
@grinevilly I did not mean to offend you (or anyone), and I'm sorry I did. I would like to clear things up with Llamaists and you.

In my post, I never said that it was wrong to be a Llamaist (or any of the four other religious traditions I described in my game). What inspired me to make the Llamaists was General Buzz Grunt from Strangetown, and the Abnegation faction from the Divergent series.

I want to respond to some of the things you said about the Llamaists in your initial response to me.

"Illogical, stern, serious, grouchy conformists?"

I never said the Llamaists were illogical. They are neutral regarding the logic skill and will acquire it if they need it. There is nothing wrong with being a stern and serious sim; it just means they have more discipline than other sims. It also means they don't really like dancing (think Footloose). Being grouchy, in the Sims wiki , is described as reacting negatively to social situations. True, grouchy sims may do immature social things, but the chances of those are higher at 1 or 2 grouchy points, whereas (on average) Llamaists tend to have 4 grouchy points. I chose this because I imagined them not liking parties or social gatherings (like going to bars and clubs in Downtown). I imagine them being kind of introverted and homebodies.

"Despising art, culture and creativity? Even playfulness?"

I never said "despise." That is very strong language, and (as we have seen) nuance is important. What I said was, "In Llamaism, it is frowned upon to indulge in one's every whim, and it is good to be Fit. Being artistic or playful is considered shameful and annoying."

Llamaists believe art is frivolous and the best way to live is to contribute meaningfully to society. ( I would have them all have a pet llama, but i don't have any Llama CC). To them, art does not add to society so it is not worth their time. Do they go commit arson at art galleries? Of course not. Will they steer their children toward careers other than art? Probably. They can often be seen encouraging their children to be serious. Which brings me to my next point. In the Sims 2, playfulness is the opposite of seriousness. These sims are very serious. They do not like TV; they like books. The Sims wiki says serious sims also enjoy playing chess and using the telescope (gaining logic). I never mentioned culture or creativity in my post, but now that you have, I will address them. These sims have their own culture, which they respect. Also, creativity is a skill that has many application. It takes creativity to write code and find solutions in difficult math problems. It also takes creativity to be able to do surgery. These sims aren't artistic, but they can be creative. I hope that makes sense. I can try to describe it differently if you need.

"Only interested in health, work and politics??"

These are not their only interests. Obviously, sims have more than three or four interests. What I said was "these sims are typically interested" [with added emphasis] in those things. It's not a hard and fast rule. To Llamaists, these are the "meaningful contributions" I was talking about above. Politics keeps the peace (in my world at least). Work means they will be interested in going to work, which is in line with their value of commitment. They believe healthcare is one of the most important things they can work for. It saves the lives of other sims. That is very meaningful work to them.

"Friendless control freaks?"

I never said Llamaists didn't have friends. Llamaists value community, so they often have a tight-knit network of close friends and extended family. And in regards to them being control freaks, it just means they like to know what's going on in their world. Can they go overboard? Yes. As with all personality traits in real life and in the sims, people can take their good qualities to the extreme, and then they become character flaws. But everyone (or is it everysim?) has character flaws.

"Judgmental and disregarding of education standards?"

Okay, while I never said the Llamaists were judgmental, I can see how you could gather that from my post. I said they hated the other two religious groups. That is a strong word. And it's not really what I meant, now that I think about it. The Llamaists disagree with the way the other religious groups conduct themselves, but they don't instigate fights or commit hate crimes or anything like that. No. My sims world is a utopia. Do they have disagreements? Yes, of course. But there is no judgementalness. I'm sorry for that. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

And I said they disagree with the atheists about schooling sometimes, never that they disregard education standards. They have different standards. Such as, children should have more time to do homework in school so they can spend their afternoons with their families (because Llamaists value family). It's not like in RL where some groups think we should teach creationism and bible studies while others think we shouldn't even talk about those ideas.

"Sorry, i've seen other posts where you've asked people not to post their opinions if they don't align with yours. I just dont find this to be very tolerant or open-minded."

In the post to which you are referring, I said that because it was about transgender sims. I know that trans issues are a hot button topic right now, and I did not want to distract from the point of my post with debate. Just because something is posted in an online forum doesn't mean it's time to debate. We do have a debate forum on modthesims, which I don't frequent because I don't like to debate, personally. I think I was being very reasonable in that post. If you disagree, you should talk to a moderator about it.

I'm not sure what you are saying I have done to be intolerant. Is it that you are offended by my Llamaists, or that I asked people to say nothing if they didn't have anything nice to say in my other post? I would like to get to the bottom of it though, because I try my best to be tolerant and open-minded.

"Some of the greatest art, music and literature has been inspired by faith, in homage to the faithful's beliefs. It was the Quakers' faith that led to the abolition of slavery in North America. And it was the faithful who began the first schools, colleges and education centers."

I am not disputing this. I agree that this is true. I never said it wasn't. The Grilled Cheese goddess worshipers believe this, too.

"And frankly, who does deserve to be rich, if not those who worked hard for it?"

Yes, that's why some Llamaists are rich. Obviously, not all Llamaists are exactly the same (I was speaking as the average case in my description). There are those who agree with this statement, but there are those who do not. Either way, they are both Llamaists.

"Every group has their contributions to this world, and every group has their bad actors who make others look bad. "

Yes, of course this is true. I never said it wasn't, to be fair. In all four of my religious traditions in my game, there are good sims and bad sims in them. The Llamaists have plenty of good sims. They have kind doctors who save children, and politicians who make positive change in the sims world, and loving parents who prepare their children for the world kindly. Being serious and not caring for art doesn't make a sim bad. These sims can still be kind. There is nothing wrong with being serious, not super social, and not that into art.

"We might try to make an effort to be more friendly and understanding, perhaps even welcoming people of different philosophies, to engage in the conversation..."

I think here, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have misinterpreted me. I made the post about the religions in my game. These sims are not real people. Yes, they were inspired by real things, as well as other posts on this very thread, but they are not based off of any one real religion. I am fine engaging in conversations with people who hold different philosophies than I do. In fact, I do it every day in my line of work. You do not know me, and to insinuate that I am not friendly or understanding and that I refuse to listen to anyone who is different than I am is simply not true and, quite frankly, hurtful. You don't know me. All you have seen of me is a few posts on a sims 2 forum. Likewise, I do not know you. For all I know, you could be the director of the Human Rights Association. Or you could be a 12 year old who does really well in math at middle school. I don't know. I try not to generalize what I've seen from you here to who you might be in real life.

"...rather than slurring them with pejoratives and stereotypes."

Please tell me where I have used a slur so that I may remove it. I hope that I have not--I don't think I have--because slurs are the most hurtful language that exists.

In my original post, I mentioned four different religious traditions. Each, of course, was based on things around me, not real religions because I don't want any real religions in my game (just a personal preference, no judgement to those who do). Yet you only seemed to read about the Llamaists. I have a group that is very religious and also very artistic--the Grilled Cheese Goddess worshipers. What do you think of them? I also have atheists who pretty much always have their heads in the clouds or in a book--the book part is why they get along so well with Llamaists. And of course I have the very antisocial and secretive Grim Reaper followers. I would love to know your thoughts.

Again, I'm sorry to have offended you. It was never my intention. I hope my response clears up some of your concerns. Of course, we can agree to disagree, or we can discuss our disagreements civilly. Have a good day.
Forum Resident
#96 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 11:32 PM
@Sunrader -- Maybe in the interim, while waiting for a bookshelf or whatnot, you could have sims of different faiths attempt to proselytize. They could offer another sim a copy of their religious text. If the sim accepts it, consider them a new disciple. If not, then they are an apostate. haha, well... maybe not that dramatic. But you get the point.

@LyleSnake - I appreciate the offer for further discussion! I truly do. My initial post was not meant to bash anyone. It was meant to encourage civil discussion, and lead to better understanding. I would be willing to, and even like to discuss things further with you, but I'd prefer to do it in PMs. Conversation is the KEY to understanding, but clearly there's a penchant for severe overreaction and... I don't want to find myself banned.

Whether or not you take me up on the offer for private discussion, I just want you to know, that I harbor no ill will and bear no grudge. My point was that the tone could perhaps be off-putting to others. And the overreaction that ensued sort of exacerbated the feeling of negativity, perhaps even elevating it to hostility, towards people of faith. I'm not angry with you. It didn't even generate little red -- LTR points over my head. Maybe a - STR or two, but those go away rather quickly, don't they? Perhaps I ought to tell you the same joke 4x to make amends. =)

Oh, and last but not least, @maybesomethingdunno -- Thanks! I should've thought to look at Beosboxboy and Marvine! I just googled and sorted through thousands and thousands of false-return Pinterest crap! Hahaha!!

-gE
>=)
Mad Poster
#97 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 12:03 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 2nd Nov 2018 at 12:13 AM.
My sims are not religious and they don't follow any particular religions. The closest my sims get to religion is... well, common traditions. They'll celebrate Yuletime/Christmas (leaning more towards the midwinter celebration it used to be in the olden days than the Christian "let's kidnap this holiday and make it ours!" type), the occasional Halloween (personally I don't celebrate it, but it's a good excuse to dress up my sims in costumes), maybe I'll do Easter pictures once every year (more as a celebration of Spring than the actual Christian Easter - Chickens! Pastels!! Bunnies!!!), and they'll have weddings and such (mostly garden weddings, so they might as well be civil marriages). But I don't have any religion mods in my game, because I don't want any. I do have some church/chapel CC for storytelling purposes (weddings, funerals, etc,), though - but those usually serve a purpose, story-wise .
Mad Poster
#98 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 12:13 AM
I don't think most of us actually have any religion mods in our games. Mods definitely aren't necessary in order to play out religions (tho of course if people do want those mods that's great and more power to them).

Technically I suppose I have some CC in my game that helps my sims celebrate religious holidays - I have various greeting cards (including the Hanukkah set I made myself), and I have a few custom foods I downloaded specifically because they were associated with certain holidays.
Mad Poster
#99 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 2:21 AM
I'm interested in the Jacoban and Peteran religions from Sims Medieval. (I think Mrs. Crumplebottom must be a hard-line Jacoban. ) I even have a church or two decorated with converted religious stuff from that game. I just never seem to get around to playing sims that way. I keep meaning to have some religious families in some of my neighborhoods, but so far the only time I remember to send anybody to a house of worship is when somebody's getting married.
Inventor
#100 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 3:50 AM
I have a few religious sims in one of my current hoods, but they're only so because they're based on role-play characters who are that way. They 'study the ways of the light' and use their magic to help others. They can also brew potions to help cure certain states, if wanted. Other than that, they wear particular outfits (not the witch ones) to indicate their rank in the clergy. The priest has a large house which has a public chapel. He also raises and teaches children who are either orphans or have been entrusted to him by their parents. The two clerics work in some community benefiting way. One is a doctor at the clinic. I... forget what the other one does, unfortunately. Any of the children currently being raised by the priest who choose to follow this path will be expected to do the same. Those who don't will be free to do as they please once they graduate from high school.
Page 4 of 4