Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 12:31 AM
This is the Anime that NEVER Ends
Ok... I used to be the ultimate anime nerd. I'd dipped into way too many series... Read far too many manga... And dreamed of Sugar Plum Sesshomaru's...

This may contain some vague spoilers.

Anyway... There are a few series that I personally feel will never end, and it drives me insane because I like conclusions...

Detective Conan (Case Closed): Shinichi... will you ever grow up? I'm thinking no. I mean Shinichi has connections to the FBI and CIA, and he still hasn't taken down the Black Organization. And Ai just keeps using him as a guinea pig and the time lapses for being the proper age keep getting shorter and shorter... At this point we can only hope that he will beat the Black Organization, tell Ran (I mean she basically knows), turn back to normal (Something has to be inside of the BO that can help Ai make a final antidote), and end. Shinichi/Conan has been killing poor people for getting close to 700 episodes, he needs to be stopped. And yes, it is his fault because if he wasn't there people wouldn't have the urge to commit homicide.

Pokemon: Ash will NEVER be a pokemon master, as defined by the gameboy games. He doesn't attempt to catch all the species, he lets his strongest pokemon go (Still pissed about Charizard), and apparently he isn't training properly because pikachu should leveled out through the roof (How many regions has it been dragged through?)and yet some of the pokemon he picks up randomly are stronger than the beloved number one pikachu. So, why can't he just get to the end of his journey, fight the strogest trainer ever (Which would probably be his MIA Father), marry Misty and end the series...

One Piece: So many characters, so little time... It took far too long to get to the Grand Line and now it is taking far to long to find this *BLEEPING* treasure. I have the hardest time keeping up with One Piece because if you skip a few episodes you miss the introduction of like 30 characters. It's ridiculous... Find the treasure, become King of the pirates, and end.

Well those are my top three never ending anime... Share yours or something that is starting now that might not have a definite ending (*Cough Cough* Pandora Hearts *Cough Cough*). And give us the steps to a proper ending. And rant about how this could be so easy if someone wasn't trying to milk money out of fans for generations...

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 6:14 AM
I agree that Detective Conan is dragging on wayyyy too long, and I'm reading the manga, which is already a few years ahead of the anime. The cases are getting much less creative, themes are repetitive (I mean, Conan, a pill, oh here we go again with another few hours of growing back into his old self. Hattori, another collaboration with Shinichi always appearing as the smarter one. Kid 1412. The kids (who never seem to grow past 1st grade) etc) Just cut to the end already.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 6:24 AM
Seriously? Um no offense but you can't compare the games to the anime (Pokemon), yes Ash's Pikachu gets stronger but so does everyone else around him. People seem to forgot everyone trains, not just Ash they don't all just sit with weak Pokemon waiting for him to come around. Of course Pikachu is going to lose some battles, they have all been trained even the first gyms. Now if it was a rookie like May or Dawn in their first episode that he lost to, then I would be annoyed.

Plus Ash isn't really about catching them all now, he knows that is an impossible thing, he just wants to be the champion of the Pokemon League. Which probably won't ever end because basically if he did win the Sinnoh Pokemon League doesn't mean his journey is over. There are still plenty of other leagues to fight and win at and even stronger trainers who will challenge him.

But yeah it's probably an anime that will never end, probably the key word though, who knows now I know the next one isn't an anime but The Simpsons never ends (And why do people pick at Ash's age but not theirs? They have more a reason to be nitpicked at, since each of his journey might take a few months really).

Pokemon's the only anime, besides Digimon that I ever really watched, Digimon might not last forever but who knows, it hasn't aired in Australia in a long time either I think,.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Jan 2011 at 4:34 AM
There is a new season of Digimon: Xros Wars but it is not at 700 episodes like Pokemon...

And yes I can compare the game to the series. And I did. The main problem I, and many others, have with the series is that the term "Pokemon Master" has not been defined in the series. Because if the definition can be transfered from game to anime, then Ash is an idiot. Now if you are correct and the term "Pokemon Master" in the series refers to one who becomes champion of all the leagues that's fine. But then it would make sense to instead strive to be the "ultimate pokemon league champion" (My personal opinion)...

And in the case of pikachu, I'm not talking about other trainer's pokemon, I'm talking about the wild ones he catches. Eventually there has to be a cap for wild pokemon (They aren't being trained for battle they are just living day to day life), but they never seem to reach it and every time he catches something it seems to be on or around the same level (when it comes to sheer power)as pikachu... The one pokemon he has never parted with.

And what aging issue? The true passage of time cannot be properly determined just by watching the series (Unless you have way too much free time). Because of the number of episodes we can assume at least 2 years passed, but then you would have to take into account extra stuff like 2 or more day travels, and 3 part episodes that last for only half a day, and that gets messy.

I think that is all for my rant today... So yeah...

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Theorist
#5 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 1:02 PM
I agree about the detective Conan thing. I've read the latest chapter of the Manga, and I think the story is beginning to go around and around aimlessly- with all those petty cases and the "real" plot line (involving the Black Organization and things like that) seemingly forgotten.
Instructor
#6 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 1:05 PM
Yep. Gosho Aoyama tends to use a lot of content that would've otherwise been fitting for anime fillers rather than the official manga storyline.
Theorist
#7 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 2:00 PM
And the timeline! Over 700 episodes and not even a year passed? Unless a case happens at least every day, it is impossible
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 4:15 PM
Sigh... I loved Conan. The cases used to be something great but the newer the cases are, the less complicated they've gotten.
the manga and the anime spend so much time focusing on the obvious clues and suspects now- It's a pretty lame giveaway. in the episodes there's barely any time left used for deductive reasoning.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 4:23 PM
Quote:
Pokemon: Ash will NEVER be a pokemon master, as defined by the gameboy games. He doesn't attempt to catch all the species, he lets his strongest pokemon go (Still pissed about Charizard), and apparently he isn't training properly because pikachu should leveled out through the roof (How many regions has it been dragged through?)and yet some of the pokemon he picks up randomly are stronger than the beloved number one pikachu. So, why can't he just get to the end of his journey, fight the strogest trainer ever (Which would probably be his MIA Father), marry Misty and end the series...

have you ever noticed his travelling group kept getting younger and with dumber girls? i loved misty, she was so capable on her own. look at mai ash barely grew up, he's a noob that got kicked from his own home because...

oak IS his father, look at their facial features
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by abrtx
have you ever noticed his travelling group kept getting younger and with dumber girls? i loved misty, she was so capable on her own. look at mai ash barely grew up, he's a noob that got kicked from his own home because...

oak IS his father, look at their facial features

I agree with the retardation in his travelling group.

But I'm going for Giovanni being Ash's father. They have never met face to face. Ash's mother has admitted to knowing him,and probably wouldn't tell her son if his father ran off to be a rich criminal.

And her interactions with Professor Oak never leave you thinking there was ever something between them. There is more tension between Misty and Ash than there is between Oak and Delia. Not to mention Oak likes Gary way more than Ash... And if Ash was really his kid, that would just be cruel. Oh and Oak isn't on a pokemon journey.

Theorist
#11 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 6:41 AM
In detective conan, the cases are getting less and less relevant.

Another manga that's far too long to reach an ending is, I think, Pandora Hearts. It keeps on adding more and more mysteries while the previous ones are left unsolved. Seriously, I'm not saying I don't like mysteries but to have "a train of questions followed by a train of answers afterward" don't make a good plot to me.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 4:24 AM
I thought Shugo Chara would never end.Finally........
Scholar
#13 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 8:07 AM
Watch the live action detective conan, except for one movie he's not a kid anymore. XD Pokemon and One Peice I will agree with you, but seriously are they as bad as Bleach. Shit even Naruto sucks now (yes I said it). To be honest I stick with tokusatsu (example Garo, Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and watch less and less anime now days. Last one I watched was FMA Brotherhood, but that was because the manga rocked (but man is it a long read). Man I miss the old days, the old school animes like Lupin, Ronin Warriors, Ruroni Kenshin, and movies like Grave of the Firefly's that made you cry. Miazaki films still rock though.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Scholar
#14 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 1:47 AM
Pokemon is dragging on way too long. But unfortunately (somehow) they are still making money with the show. I have noticed that all of them are getting dumber. And why the *bleep* did they replace Brock? I know he was stupid, but compared to the girl "companions" that follow Ash around, he's a frickin genius!

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Forum Resident
#15 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 4:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by minimogut
Pokemon is dragging on way too long. But unfortunately (somehow) they are still making money with the show. I have noticed that all of them are getting dumber. And why the *bleep* did they replace Brock? I know he was stupid, but compared to the girl "companions" that follow Ash around, he's a frickin genius!

They replaced Brock?!How dare they!!
Banned
#16 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 4:27 AM
Bleach.

I just... don't... get it.
Theorist
#17 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 8:48 AM
Oh. And I think Naruto should just end it already. Not only is the story never ending, the series itself is too overrated for my liking
Banned
#18 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 8:54 AM
Naruto was good... Like, a long time ago. They're running out of things to do.
Scholar
#19 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mewichigo34
They replaced Brock?!How dare they!!

Yeah, they replaced him with a Unavo Gym Leader, Cilan, who (my brother pointed this out) looks like a monkey.

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Scholar
#20 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 4:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hotaru801
One Piece: So many characters, so little time... It took far too long to get to the Grand Line and now it is taking far to long to find this *BLEEPING* treasure. I have the hardest time keeping up with One Piece because if you skip a few episodes you miss the introduction of like 30 characters. It's ridiculous... Find the treasure, become King of the pirates, and end.

The story isn't completely about finding the treasure and becoming the King of the Pirates. It's a big adventure and requires lots of world-building. I know it's long, and I know that saying it's only halfway over at this very moment probably makes it sound crazy, but it wouldn't be One Piece if it were shortened. Ever heard the expression "It's about the journey, not the goal" (something like that)? That's essentially what this story is.

If the author gave in to your desires and had Luffy skip all of the way through the entire New World to get to his destination right now, that would be terrible writing. It would completely screw up the pacing of the story, and it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. How can getting through the first half of the Grand Line take that long, but then going through the New World (which is written out to be much crazier and harder than the first half) happen that fast?

I'll give it to you - One Piece is a very long story. However, it isn't "never-ending". The story is set up completely different from many other Shounen anime/manga (Example: Bleach, Dragon Ball Z) - it has an over-arching plot. The story isn't just a bunch of random arcs adding onto where the series could have easily ended. The arcs are all a part of the over-arching story.

I don't care if you like One Piece or not. That's your opinion, however, this "it needs to end right now" stuff just sounds like you don't even get the series. I totally understand when people say that about Bleach because it really is just a few unrelated arcs where the story could have easily ended on one, but the author decided to continue it - making it have the possibility of being 'never-ending'. However, One Piece is not anything like that.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)