Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 6:53 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Direct3D returned an error?

Hi! i just got a new laptop, screwed around with Sims 2 for a bit, it's all good. I apply the stuff for Graphics Rules Maker, and suddenly it pulls the error in the screenshot and closes! (For the record, I changed the settings a bit and then it opened in a larger screen and then closed.)

It pulls the error in both windowed and fullscreen.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 8:20 PM
might check computer's compatibility with game.
Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\Support
EasyInfo program

if any of the lines have "fail", might attempt to change those.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 9:56 AM
There's no EasyInfo program in that folder, if that's what you mean. I have the Ultimate Collection.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 10:09 AM
New laptop? Check your graphics drivers are up-to-date. And DirectX 9 is installed. Failing that, I think when I had the issue deleting userprops.xml fixed it.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 10:13 AM
Check here first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeuLtmnHhOQ I am hoping yours will be resolved simply. If not it may mean you have a larger problem, especially if you are on a Radeon card. The stick thread in help on memory allocation and the 4GBt patch shows some of the issues some of us have had. If you notice my posts in there, this was one of them. brand new computer, working game until I updated my new Radeon card.

@Bulbizarre except it was updating those drivers that killed my game in the first place. AMD released an update called adrenalin which broke many directX9 games. If anyone has a Radeon card I would advise against that adrenalin update.

I had to put directX9 back on along with a new Nvidia card.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 10:44 AM
I'm running an Nvidia card that I can't remember the name of (and honestly I'm too tired to figure it out.) Everything was enabled, and applying the 4GB patch, which I had forgotten, did absolutely nothing.

Deleting userprops.xml fixed it, as I figured out shortly before posting this comment, and now I'm a bit confused but grateful.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@Bulbizarre except it was updating those drivers that killed my game in the first place. AMD released an update called adrenalin which broke many directX9 games. If anyone has a Radeon card I would advise against that adrenalin update.

If the drivers were up-to-date I was going to next suggest reverting to an older version.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 11:40 PM
Even uninstalling and reinstalling using the disk that came with my computer didn't fix it. If you haven't seen the sticky thread and what some of us have gone though-some are still going through- check out Jessa's 4GB memory allocation thread. Although we also think maybe a window update also played some part since a lot of what went on made no sense, only that we had working games, updated and then everything was broken. Buying a new Video card fixed it so it was definitely the video card.

@alljoj I am glad to hear it. I am sticking to Nvidia from now on. Not to say people with Nvidia can't have issues, but most issues are with Radeon.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~