Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 1:44 AM
Default Knitting
Hi!

Does anybody do some sort of knitting?

I just started, all I've knitted is a blanket for my turtle, I'm not very good though.

Anybody have some cool projects they've done they'd like to share pictures of?

I love turtles.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 9:00 AM
I do all manner of knitting. I've got some complicated socks on the needles right now. Don't have any pictures handy at the moment though.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 9:15 PM
I once carried a half-knitted sock with me to a party and a guest accused me of knitting triangles :P

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#4 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 1:19 PM
I know it's been over a month since this thread has been replied to. The only knitting I can do is on a loom. Can't imagine me getting knitting down anytime soon considering I just learned I was doing a crocheting knot (loop whatever) wrong. Shoot apperently I have also been crocheting the hard way for over 3 years now; go me. Never did anything with the stuff I created, guess I am slowly crocheting my self a padded cell.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 1:28 PM
Try knittinghelp.com, DrowningFishy - they have great videos of how to do the knit and purl stitches, and once you know how to do those and some simple increases and decreases, you can knit almost anything.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Scholar
#6 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 1:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Try knittinghelp.com, DrowningFishy - they have great videos of how to do the knit and purl stitches, and once you know how to do those and some simple increases and decreases, you can knit almost anything.

And then I will really have a padded cell. WHOOT I can jump around like the pony on your avatar and be safe.

PS: Yes that was sarcasim.
PSS: Thanks for the site, despite being a smart ass somethig about playing with string pleases me.

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 1:56 PM
I tried to knit once.
I got so frustrated and confused that I ended up throwing the kneedles across the room and giving the wool to my cats. That stupid, uncoorporative wool got what it deserved...

Animal Lover, Athletic, Excitable, Flirty, Hot-Headed.
Scholar
#8 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 2:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AngryBunny.
I tried to knit once.
I got so frustrated and confused that I ended up throwing the kneedles across the room and giving the wool to my cats. That stupid, uncoorporative wool got what it deserved...

Felt the same way about crocheting; learned by watching my sister then making a million failures. Then learned how to do it properly two weekends ago talking to an older lady. Knitting looks like crocheting just with two hooks and tighter. Now got to go get knitting needles.

But by far Crocheting is easy, knitting is harder.

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 3:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrowningFishy
Felt the same way about crocheting; learned by watching my sister then making a million failures. Then learned how to do it properly two weekends ago talking to an older lady. Knitting looks like crocheting just with two hooks and tighter. Now got to go get knitting needles.

But by far Crocheting is easy, knitting is harder.

Well I can't even tie my shoelaces without confusion sometimes. Knitting is just a total mindfuck to me. I doubt crocheting would be any easier. I admire anyone who is skilled and patient enough to sit there and create things. Obviously, if I practiced I would be able to do that too, but it's easier just to go down to Target and buy a scarf made by some underpaid Chinese woman.

Animal Lover, Athletic, Excitable, Flirty, Hot-Headed.
Scholar
#10 Old 6th Dec 2011 at 3:13 AM
It's been hours now XD still havn't gotten it right, and look ::holds up hand:: rope burn. It looks so simple, why do i keep failing. LOL

Test Subject
#11 Old 10th Oct 2012 at 4:35 PM Last edited by Kit : 10th Oct 2012 at 5:11 PM.
I learned how to crochet last year through a book and some YouTube videos, but I can't make anything! I keep missing stitches! I learned how to knit this summer the same way, but I find it loads easier than crocheting, so for the moment, I've cast my crochet hook aside and taken up the needles. Right now my knitting project is simply to make a large blanket with two different hues of blue yarn. Tedious, I know, and time-consuming, especially for a beginner, but it will (hopefully) help my fingers get used to knitting.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 10th Dec 2013 at 8:06 PM
I used to work for a needlecraft company and have tried all such things. I just don't have the dexterity for knitting, although I CAN do it. However, I do a lot of crochet. I have patterns for all sorts of needlecrafts.

What I really would like to do is clone some creative hobby Sims2 objects and make a one-tile yarn basket that can be carried around and used along-side any chair. That's ideal, but it would probably have to be a 2-tile with chair associated. Ideally, too, it would add social and you could have several sims in a room all crocheting/knitting and chatting. I guess the basic animations would have to come from ol' Crumplebottom! I am not an adept creator, so it's just a wish...
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 10th Dec 2013 at 8:12 PM
Default Knitting-rope burn
Quote: Originally posted by DrowningFishy
It's been hours now XD still havn't gotten it right, and look ::holds up hand:: rope burn. It looks so simple, why do i keep failing. LOL

Rope burn hurts. Simply put a small piece of duct tape around your "yarn guide" fingers and it will slide over more easily. You can also buy finger guards. Duct tape is easier, though.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 20th Dec 2013 at 9:33 PM
Hi Salamander, there's a thread going over on the Off Topic Discussion page about crafts, about halfway down the second page I think. Have a look at the amazing blanket HP knitted.

https://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=515940

And you won't believe the lace Maxon makes, it'll make your eyes cross!