Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 7:10 PM
Default TRCN format and application
Peter made a TRCN/BCON interrelated editor for his SimPE plugin, apparently according to the guidelines in the Wiki, and broadly in accord to the way Quaxi was doing it, except Peter's didn't have the offset (eg line with ID #1 in the TRCN labels line #0 in the BCON). When attempting to correct that apparent bug, we noticed by looking at the Alienware computer that unlike what it says in the Wiki, the TRCN lines seemed to label the BCONs in the order they appear, and do not apparently take any notice of the ID field.

Does anyone have an example of where ID lines are used as per the Wiki, or should we ignore the Wiki and just set up a straight one-to-one relationship between TRCN and BCON for the purposes of the plugin? We can't really do both, as they conflict!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 2:17 PM
Since Maxis removes these files before shipping, I don't think it's very important to know the exact format. The only example of these files I know of are in the objects made by MaxoidMonkey in the Exchange.
I think the one-on-one relationship is good enough. ( and forcing the ID to match the line would add compatibility if you need to change later )
BTW the main usage of this plugin will be to help us designing our own objects.

The same goes with the TPRP files. That would be a great help for us if Peter could implement them too. I'm really loosing a lot of time keeping track of params and locals in my bhavs.
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 2:35 PM
I have to admit of never having heard of TPRP before! Is there a valid entry for it in the Wiki? If not could you tell me or point me to any info you have about it?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 3:03 PM
Yes it is described in the Wiki :
http://www1.modthesims2.com/wiki/TPRP

I've found two instances in the Topiary by MaxoidMonkey

The TPRP contains labels for Params and Locals for the bhav with the same instance nb
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 3:22 PM
Thanks, I've put it on Peter's to do list now :D

Shaken, Not Stirred
#6 Old 16th Dec 2005 at 11:08 PM
Actually insofar as I know those files dont have functional links. They're established link files for Edith.

Inge: I believe that the constant IDs may have been prepackaging and may not be valid anymore. I remember that they worked for some files and not for others. You can safely ignore them, or change them as you see fit. Just modify them to the correct ID if you want.
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 8:05 AM
Thanks Karybdis. What we decided to go with for the purposes of the PJSE suite of plugins is a straight one-for-one BCON/TRCN line match. This is then correct for all MaxoidMonkey's downloads as well as being very easy to understand for modders in general. We do not touch the ID field and have left it independently editable, for compatibility with any file or tools that may use it.

Shaken, Not Stirred
#8 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 10:06 PM
Sounds good to me. Give me a shout if you need any info on the other formats you're working with. We've worked on the files like this slightly more than is in the wiki info, so we might have more info you can use. Unfortunately, I seem to have spent too much time working on the game and know too much useless stuff. heh.
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 8:32 AM
Well I did wonder with the TPRP whether there was any arbitrary "offset" we needed to worry about. I mean does the first Param line actually match Param 0 in the BHAV?

Also, would you know if it was possible to actually set up a new semi-global group so that the game will run it?

Shaken, Not Stirred
#10 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 4:36 PM Last edited by Karybdis : 22nd Dec 2005 at 4:52 PM.
There shouldnt be anything arbitrarily in the TPRP's. They're straight outputs of the edith data so they should be 1 for 1 against the variables in the BHAVs. There's nothing in there to say "This starts at local 3" or "This is for Param 5" The only thing of any interest is an edith display flag and that's a constant anyways and is just ignored.

Semi's... well I never saw anything going against it. To be quite honest, I cant see why you couldnt. (I've never tested though). As a general rule. Maxis games dont tend to hardcode ID links. Just means anything that's based off an ID range can be safely added to by a new ID range, unless you specifically find out otherwise, so I'd try it. (Notable Exceptions to this are INI and RULE files in Simcity, as well as groupids for things like specific related functions to core game stuff in both SC4/TS2)
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 25th Dec 2005 at 7:02 PM
About the one to one relationship in the TPRP :

Looking at MaxoidMonkey's files where the strings are "Param0", "Param1" etc... I think that Edith is auto-filling the files with these strings. No offset.
Shaken, Not Stirred
#12 Old 30th Dec 2005 at 4:06 AM
Yea, that was my assumption as well. No real way to prove it, but they're just automatically filled out in order, like a dump of a class from memory.