Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2018 at 1:51 AM Last edited by Don Babilon : 4th Jun 2018 at 9:45 AM.
Default Animations linked to objects
Just now I cloned an EA object (the vintage SHT jukebox) and changed its script class in order to turn it into a regular stereo.
I noticed, however, that this changes the animations for interactions with the box when repairing and upgrading it.

So, am I right in assuming that if I wanted to have the old animations that I would have to create a new script class? And am I also right in assuming that this would be way beyond my capabilities, as the only thing I know about scripting is how to spell the word?

ETA: The same question sort of applies to the animations that play when the stereo is on. With the changed script class the box gets two of those pulsating circles, while before it had only one, and the second one is in an off-place compared to the other.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 5th Jun 2018 at 7:06 AM
Yeah, if you want to map your interactions to the correct animations, you would have to clone the code for the stereo, name it to something else and then change the state machines names in the code for the interactions so that it points to the jukebox's animation state machines. That's assuming the state machines have similar states otherwise you would also have to learn about creating custom jazz files to define a new state machine for the animations.
Instructor
#3 Old 5th Jun 2018 at 8:49 AM
Regarding visual effects such as pulsating circles, it might be possible to change their placement by editing the RSLT and _RIG resources to move the FX slot and its associated bone. This can be done in Blender with cmomoney's tools (TSRW might also work but I don't use it much).

If the repair/upgrade animations' chief problem is where they connect with the object, and the object has an IK slot, moving that and its associated bone might improve how it looks. This probably only works for very small changes. For instance, the exact height at which a sim's hand connects with a fridge's door handle when opening it can be adjusted in this manner.

Own Grandma's Canning Station? Check out the Canning Station Overhaul.
Like doing laundry? Check out the Infinite Laundry Buffs Fix.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 5:12 PM
The animations aren't really wrong, it's just that the jukebox has a different set of animations that look nicer for this objects.

And as regards the pulsating circles, hm, the thing is that I only changed the script class and didn't touch the rigs at all, so I'm actually wondering why the game decided to place the second circle in an arbitrary position off-center.

But thanks for all your help and suggestions. Getting this perfect is indeed beyond my capabilities and for the time being I will just live with the slightly odd look.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#5 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 9:23 PM
Probably what's happening is that the Jazz bits in the script itself (So the regular C# script, not the Jazz one :P) Is targeted still to the old one. What I would try to compare the old radio and the new radio, see how much it differs. This could also be a fix for the (I think) Footprint issue