Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 5:32 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Free Time
Default How do I find an item I can't find?
I have a lot of CC but no clue what category its under.a few of my new objects are in the downloads folder but I look in hobies, decrative, toys, every thing even garden and some objects never appear.

I have cosidered the possability that

I could be iverlooking an object , many times an object IS there but I just pass it, then it just shows up.

it could be a special lot only object

it be for a vermilion of the game I don't have

it could be a file thats missing from the download itsvself.

or maybe the object thumb nail is weird?

many objects I got have been missing or in conflict

but what Im looking for is a way to look for an object, like if I can bring up a search box and enter a key word maybe?

or maybe sort objects by name or install date?

I know thetevare folders to sort by like thing but the cc makers never out these objects in folders.

I just want to know if the object is indead in downloads folder, how can I tell if I am overlooking an accsessable object or if the object isn't showing becouse its for an other version or has a missing mesh maybe?

I want to be certain that it IS in the game and not just in the downloads folder with a missing part making it not show.

if you want to look in to the objects your self, I have a few to list, but my question isn't do they work fir you, its how can I find one with out hours of scrolling threw thumbnails trying to remember if its hobby, decrative or toy?

Ive had objects show in strange folders.

issue two, my sims keep wanting to talk to, dance with and befriend them selves and avoid seeing them selves die.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 2:27 PM
I would open the objects in SimPE and look in the OBJD. On the main page of the Plugin View for the OBJD resource you can see which catalogue sections the objects show up in, and in the RAW tab you can see the price, which will help you find the object since they show up in price order in game. There are also other programs you can use to do this if you're not comfortable using SimPE, but I haven't used any of 'em, so I'll let someone else suggest those.

Regarding your second problem, it sounds like your neighbourhood is corrupted. Run it through the HoodChecker program by Mootilda, using the Remove option, and also read through Game Help:Avoiding Hood Corruptionwiki and make sure you stop doing anything listed in there that you've done in the past.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
I would open the objects in SimPE and look in the OBJD. On the main page of the Plugin View for the OBJD resource you can see which catalogue sections the objects show up in, and in the RAW tab you can see the price, which will help you find the object since they show up in price order in game. There are also other programs you can use to do this if you're not comfortable using SimPE, but I haven't used any of 'em, so I'll let someone else suggest those.

Regarding your second problem, it sounds like your neighbourhood is corrupted. Run it through the HoodChecker program by Mootilda, using the Remove option, and also read through Game Help:Avoiding Hood Corruptionwiki and make sure you stop doing anything listed in there that you've done in the past.

is there an in game tabe or keybord shortcut ot cheat code to find an item by key word?
Theorist
#4 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 11:50 PM
No, unfortunately there isn't.

You can go into your Downloads folder and sort the files by date. (There's a little bar across the top of the window that says things like "File name" and "Modified date".) This might help, but if you downloaded an older file, it might end up near the bottom of the list. Your best bet is to go to where you got the item in the first place and see where they say it is. Most creators will tell you where to find the item in the catalog. Also make sure that you didn't download a collection-only set. Items from a "collection only" set do not end up in the regular catalog. They can only be found through the Collections tab, and then through the correct collection. (The creator will tell you about this also, and you have to deliberately choose to download a collection-only set. It never happens without warning.)

However, it sounds like your hood is very badly corrupted and getting ready to explode, so this might be a symptom of that. If I were you, I'd start completely over, including a new Downloads folder.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 11:51 PM
No there isn't. What Nysha said is best. Find out the price and area the object is in. Once you find the object make a collection folder for it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 12th Mar 2015 at 11:27 AM
Or, if it's categorised in a way that doesn't make sense to you, change the categories in SimPE right away so it'll be in the first place you'd look.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 12th Mar 2015 at 11:31 AM
Yes that isn't hard, even I have done that. I had the PCsims picnic basket fridge which you would think would be under appliances but it was in deco-the worst possible place. So I changed it to appliances.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~