Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2016 at 10:14 AM Last edited by Rebellina : 7th Jun 2016 at 4:24 PM. Reason: Problem solved

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default [Solved] [MAC] Problems with lighting in game - Things go dark
I have an issue that is driving me nuts at the moment, and I am at a loss how to solve it.

I am using an old Mac and have all Mac-EPs up to Bon Voyage, including Seasons.

It started when I switched to Yosemite a while ago. The game became noticeably slower than before, and I changed the light settings to medium instead of high, which made gameplay a little faster.

Since then, during autumn or winter season in the game, the sim face in the UI and „change appearance“ become dark, as well as thumbnails in Buy mode and the thumbnail images of food in the fridge. The whole surrounding of the lot also seems noticeably darker than the lot itself (see images below). It always happens when I save the lot.

I thought it was maybe a lighting mod that caused it, took it out, and now it is even worse.

I know that EA changes the way a lot is lit during different seasons, and believe my issue is related to that. Other than that, I have absolutely no idea what is going on.

If anybody has an idea, I would be so grateful.

My specs:

Modelname: iMac
Modell-Identification: iMac7,1
Processor type: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor speed: 2 GHz
Number of processors: 1
Total number of cores: 2
L2-Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Integrated graphics card ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT

Two images that show the problem:

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 7th Jun 2016 at 4:23 PM
I was at least partially able to solve the issue, when I found this post:

Quote: Originally posted by biscuit-the-great
This is the shadow bug. It happens to me too, and I happen to have a fix. Next time your sims faces go dark, press ctrl, shift and C together and type in the box "vsync off" without the quotes. Your game screen should turn purple for a few seconds and when it comes back, the issue should be resolved. You can then press ctrl shift and C together and type in "vsync on" to make sure you don't bump into any problems. You may need to do a "change appearence' with the mirror to update your sims icons so they aren't dark no more.

It did improve things, although the fix isn´t permanent. Once in a while, the faces still go dark, I then use "vsync on", then "vsync off" again. So, consider this solved!