Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 5:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Windows on edge of lot refuse to rotate the right way
Here's a video of what I mean: https://youtu.be/SgDNFHbIKbM
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 5:54 PM
Yeah, this is a Thing. Basically the lead tile of the window can't be on the outermost row of tiles. Normally this isn't a problem, you just turn the window round, but Perfect Pediment, the matching curvy one and some of the bay windows all have the lead tile on the outside, so they can't be placed like that.

I'm working on flipped versions specifically for use on shrunk lots, but the recolourability is being a pain the ass.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Yeah, this is a Thing. Basically the lead tile of the window can't be on the outermost row of tiles. Normally this isn't a problem, you just turn the window round, but Perfect Pediment, the matching curvy one and some of the bay windows all have the lead tile on the outside, so they can't be placed like that.

I'm working on flipped versions specifically for use on shrunk lots, but the recolourability is being a pain the ass.

Ugh. Of course I had to pick windows that didn't work. Well, thank you for telling me, and good luck with the flipped versions!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 7:43 PM
One thing that sometimes works with that is to place a piece of staging near the window. It will snap to display properly. You can delete the staging immediately (or just use undo).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 9:15 PM
Did you use lot adjuster? One time on a tiny one by one and a building 8 tiles i had this issue. I had to expand the lot again, place the windows and shrink again.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 9:33 PM
Funnily enough I was just trying this on a lot of mine which I made with the Lot Adjuster and with walls 1 tile from the edge and I can't reproduce the problem. The windows rotate just fine.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 11:45 PM
Interesting - I wonder if it's to do with my cfeing?
I'll give that stage suggestion a try! It's not gonna be a 100% solution, though, because one of the windows I had problems with was already placed right next to a stage (there is real-life inspiration for my trying to put a hot tub on a stage in a bathroom, surrounded by bay windows)

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 11:55 PM
I had this happen on the small fire station lot I have up on here, I've only ever had it happen that once so it's not something that always happens. I don't know if it was the window I chose or just one of these odd glitches. The only thing that fixed it was expanding the lot again.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 12:35 AM
Interesting - I wonder if it's to do with my cfeing?
I'll give that stage suggestion a try! It's not gonna be a 100% solution, though, because one of the windows I had problems with was already placed right next to a stage (there is real-life inspiration for my trying to put a hot tub on a stage in a bathroom, surrounded by bay windows)

It's placing the stage down that seems to do it - doesn't work if it's already there. The reason I was trying to reproduce the problem was because I was going to take pictures if it worked but then I couldn't. You can delete the stage once you're done. You don't have to actually delete it, you can press the undo button and get your money back. Also, it usually sticks unless you move the lot or pack it up and install it or whatever.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 12:06 PM
That's good to know - I'll try that!

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#11 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 8:13 PM Last edited by Nysha : 23rd Feb 2017 at 8:25 PM.
I've been trying the stage trick and I can't figure it out. It doesn't seem to be possible to place stage closer than 2 tiles in from the lot edge, and placing it there doesn't seem to affect the windows at all. Is there a particular technique I should be using?

Edit: Ohh, wait - a stage (or a wall section) *would* open up the stuck wallmask, is that what you were referring to, maxon? If so, it's a good trick, but you still have the problem of not being able to place the windows correctly above foundation level.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 10:42 PM Last edited by maxon : 23rd Feb 2017 at 11:17 PM.
Edit: Ohh, wait - a stage (or a wall section) *would* open up the stuck wallmask, is that what you were referring to, maxon? If so, it's a good trick, but you still have the problem of not being able to place the windows correctly above foundation level.

I guess so - I learned it from Plasticbox. That sounds right though. I still can't understand why you're having trouble placing windows. I tried a different lot today and I'm still good.

Also, I can place a stage one tile distant from a window and it works for me - which, with one tile at the edge of a lot and then one tile in again, would mean you are two tiles from the edge of the lot and you should be able to place it. If you can't place a stage at two tiles in then there's something else going on there. You can put stages on upper floors too. I don't mean the foundation tool.

edit: I'll try and get some pictures. If you use CFE or bugger about with basements (as I am guilty of), it's quite common to have problems with the masks.
Edit 2: Some pictures showing the technique with some windows that are blanked out by the wall mask because of an external roof (seeing as I can't reproduce your problem exactly). This is on the top floor of a three storey house btw.
Screenshots

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 11:43 PM
Right, yeah - you're (successfully!) solving a different problem. Have a go with the Perfect Pediment window, and try to get it so the stone face is on the outside of the building. It works on the ground floor, but not above that.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 9:10 PM
Right, yeah - you're (successfully!) solving a different problem. Have a go with the Perfect Pediment window, and try to get it so the stone face is on the outside of the building. It works on the ground floor, but not above that.

Yes, as I said, I can't reproduce your problem so I was just showing you the technique to make sure you understood my description of it properly.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 12:02 AM
The the Perfect Pediment window was the one giving me grief. But now Nysha has it all fixed with the new mesh just uploaded.

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#16 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 6:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried using move objects on and removing some of the sidewalk tiles? I know I've done many tiny lots up to the edge and windows did work, just not sure about that particular window. can a staging block be used in place of a foundation block under the windows, since both can be covered with wall paper? Never tried mixing staging and foundation side by side myself. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 7:27 PM
But I see that Nysha uploaded a fix for this on the 23rd. No one mentioned it? Not even Nysha? lol
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=590829

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Duine
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried using move objects on and removing some of the sidewalk tiles?

Many times - not sure what you're asking here.

Inventor
#19 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 5:44 PM
This problem was driving me nuts today. I put two Perfect Pediment windows in each wall of the first floor, and two on each wall of the upstairs. It was only when I came to the sixteenth window that it refused to rotate. I was getting really mad, hammering on the '>' key, yelling at the screen. I put in moveObjectsOn, and that made no difference. I came here for help, and then tried drawing stages, as illustrated above by Maxon. That didn't work either. I shouted a bit more.

Then, outside the wall where I wanted to place the window, I put in two flooring tiles hanging in the air. It worked like a charm. That recalcitrant window slid in above them, the right way round, with no trouble at all. Then I deleted the flooring tiles hanging on the outside wall. Easy!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#20 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 6:22 PM
How did you manage to get floor tiles on upper floors right at the edge of the lot? Or were you building further in?

Inventor
#21 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 8:23 PM
How did you manage to get floor tiles on upper floors right at the edge of the lot? Or were you building further in?
Yes, I was two or three tiles away from the edge.

There is another window, the three-tile bay window, that sometimes refuses to go the right way round, and I found the trick there was to put a foundation under it, insert the window, then delete the foundation. It seems to be something to do with the floor level outside the window.