Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 10:37 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Crashing upon Loading
Two days ago I was able to load the game just fine and haven't played since. Today I added 5 pieces of custom content and it won't get past the loading screen before crashing with "Application has crashed, application will now terminate"

These are cc pieces I put into downloads, and I have taken all but the last out and it still crashes
1. C&K face sliders
1. Nopke's face sliders
2. Female Child clothes
3. Shastakiss 3t2 Vinyl store recolors
4. Klira's power girl posebox
5. Phaenoh's newest apartment lot on MTS for sims 2

How can I take the last one out to see if that is truly the cause of the crashing? It was installed with Clean Installer so it's in the game, is there a way to take it out because I feel like removing it from downloads only won't accomplish this or is there no way to do this and I would have to just use my latest back up to fix? I'd rather not but will if it's the only way.

I have all EPS, running windows 10 64-bit, Intel(R) Core(TM i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz processor, and a Nividia 770 card.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 10:44 PM
I'm assuming you've already tried deleting the cache files. And if you haven't, do so. The face sliders can do modify CAS and Bodyshop, so it's likely they can cause some troubles even when removed (the cache files kind of saves a ghost image of various items, particularly CAS-related ones). Thumbnail files can potentially also be the culprit.

Bad lots rarely cause any troubles until you actually try putting them in a neighborhood, and/or try visiting them after placing. If they came with any CC, try to remove the CC first. Lots first go into the Teleport folder, and you should be able to remove it if it's still there (will be the latest added file). I think it moves to the LotCatalog after the first time you go ingame.
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 10:51 PM
If you mean the two cache files found in The Sims 2 Folder called accessories and thumbnails, yes I deleted these and the game still crashed when I tried loading it. If it's any helpful info, it always crashes at the point it says ''Ceiling fan rotation = dl/dt" so it's almost loaded before it crashes.

Also would it be an issue if I installed the face sliders but I don't have body shop installed? Would that affect the loading of the actual game?

The lot was CC-free, it's just the last thing I wasn't able to remove that I had added today when it had loaded fine last.

Would any of the logs be helpful in determining the crashing cause?

*EDIT* All logs have modules loaded until something called ntmarta.dll - I don't know what that is, if it was loaded and the next module crashed, or it was the ntmarta one.

Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 11:01 PM
If you have the game installed, Bodyshop is also installed. Kinda comes with the package...

The logs may be of help, but the crash logs often don't tell what the problem is, particularly if it's a CC problem. If the game starts, but crashes at a specific point upon loading, it can be the loading of a particular CC item it reacts to.
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 11:05 PM
So the logical thing was that it is the lot, since that is only thing still in my files that I added today when it worked the last time I loaded. However I can't find it in my lot Bon folder for the game...

Mad Poster
#6 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 11:21 PM
Your new downloaded lot now sits in the house bin...but since you cannot lauch the game and delete it from there...sort your catalog folder by date. if that house was the last you installed..it should be easy to find. just move it out of your game. Though i doubt it is a lot..and one by Phaenoh on top of this...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 12:29 AM
Accessories and thumbnails are caches, but the cache you really need to delete, in most cases, is groups.cache.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 3:01 AM
That one shows up sometimes but not in every case after I try to start the game, should it? Would it be hidden?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 3:23 AM
I doubt it's the lot, since corrupted lots tend to crash on loading the lot itself they do not normally affect game loading. I would be more inclined to see if your computer did anything such as a windows update, a virus scan, anything else updated or changed? Virus protectors will sometimes remove a file from a program by mistake thinking its not safe, then it prevents the program from running. My husband recently had a rather expensive accident like that causing us to rebuy a $900 business program.
You could also try renaming your sims 2 folder and forcing the game to make a new one, will that load?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 4:08 AM
I'm going to try restoring from back up. I took my husband's advice and simply restarted my computer and then tried to start sims and it's even funkier. All the screen settings are jacked up when they weren't before and I haven't touched those settings in a long while. I had music turned off and that was still the same, even when crashing earlier but upon restart, music was back during loading and it crashed immediately not like earlier today when it loaded almost to the end and crashed at the Ceiling fan part rotation text on the loading screen.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 4:28 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Apr 2017 at 4:44 AM.
Sounds like a spontaneous reset of your game settings.

I had that happen once, when I tried installing the mod that fixes sim shadows. My Nvidia card had a sudden urge to turn invisible, so the laptop switched to the integrated one, and everything got messed up big-time. Still not sure if it was the mod's fault, but I ended up having to fix the graphics rules (manually) to make the game recognize the card and all that (but my game is weird, and right now the log file says I have a Radeon card. I sincerely don't know what's happened, because it did list the Nvidia the last time I checked. I guess I should be happy as long as the game works...)

Anyway, check the "PC(number)-config-log" file in the "Documents -->TS2 --> Logs" folder, compare it to the one from your backup file, and see if anything has changed. The "UserProps" file in the "Config" folder can also tell you if something is off with the ingame settings.
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 5:32 AM Last edited by Charmful : 20th Apr 2017 at 6:57 AM.
Thanks everyone. I'm still not exactly sure what happened but Windows Defender found a shady exe file that managed it's way into my downloads. Not sure if it was packaged with something else or what because I am usually very diligent about not downloading any exe files in custom content hunts. We removed that and I installed from back up and the game was able to start.

**EDIT** Found out my solid state was dying. Managed to get my back up files off. Now trying to re import to new HD.