Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2007 at 11:46 PM
Default Abortion: good or bad
is abortion good or bad? should it be taken away or kept.

i say keep it. i would rather have it there just in case if i were to rape in the future then to not have it and have to have the child. i couldnt live with knowing that i just had a rapist child it would just kill me. i dont believe that it is killing the fetus(i believe that it is a baby only after it is born) because it does not have feelings. it does not think.

in the past women have had few rights taking this away is like taking away some of our rights. thats what i believe.

if i were to become pergnant at my age (15) my mother would have me get a abortion and i would allow it because im to young too be a parent. im too young to care for it on my own. baby's are a handful and i couldnt take it. i want to be free and a child would chain me down.

thats why i say keep it

do not dis any one and their beliefs.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 17th Aug 2007 at 11:51 PM
I believe that every woman should have the choice. I don't think it's right for anyone else to tell her what she can and can't do with her body.

Some people call it murder, if they don't like it that's their own opinion, but they should let other people make up their own minds.

Personally I could never have an abortion but I would never look down on someone else for having one or try to stop someone from having one.
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Aug 2007 at 11:53 PM
yes i do agree. if someone gets an abortion its there life and i wouldnt put my say in it
Test Subject
#4 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:02 AM
Quote:
if i were to become pergnant at my age (15) my mother would have me get a abortion and i would allow it because im to young too be a parent. im too young to care for it on my own. baby's are a handful and i couldnt take it. i want to be free and a child would chain me down.

But, at that age, you souldn't be having sex anyways. I am kind of against abotion, but I know I can't tell anyone what to do, and I wouldn't either. Though having the baby would teach some people, especially teen mothers, to take responsibilities for their actions, the result of unprotected sex. If you wanted to be free (I know that was an example) you should either have protected sex or just wait.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:04 AM
I understand your point of view : But fetuses do feel, and they do think (Of course, to a point) Didn't you watch the miracle of life in your health class? In the video you see the fetus moving inside the womb, it has a beating heart, it has a brain, it can move, it can feel.
I mean, if you do drugs while your pregnant, the baby will be BORN addicted, and WILL go through all the symptoms of withdrawal.
The fetus is very much alive, and I don't think anyone has the right to kill it.
YES, it is a woman's body...but it's a baby's LIFE.
I think that abortion should only be an option in cases of rape. To avoid women who are claiming they were raped only for an abortion, the woman has to get a rape kit done within a week of the rape; most likely before she knows she's even pregnant for sure.
For minors, I think there should also be some kind of exception, but I'm very Iffy on that.
If you're a minor, and you got yourself pregnant, then you have to deal with the responsibilities. If you took the actions of a grown woman- you should also take the responsibilities and consequenses. You acted like an adult? Okay, now you have to BE an adult.
Adoption is always an option.
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sakura90
But, at that age, you souldn't be having sex anyways. I am kind of against abotion, but I know I can't tell anyone what to do, and I wouldn't either. Though having the baby would teach some people, especially teen mothers, to take responsibilities for their actions, the result of unprotected sex. If you wanted to be free (I know that was an example) you should either have protected sex or just wait.

i was just using my age as an example. i dont believe in having sex untill after High school
Test Subject
#7 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:10 AM
Quote:
i was just using my age as an example. i dont believe in having sex untill after High school

I know you were using it as an example. Same for me I think people should wait until after highschool, maybe then there wouldn't be as many teen mothers as there are today...
I think I may be one of the only people, besides you who believes in that.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:11 AM
Adding- Do you know what goes into an abortion? ***Very graphic descriptions below**
You don't just take a magic pill, and *poof* no more baby. (although this DOES work very early on, like the morning after pill) some abortions (Illegal, of course) consist of inserting something up the vagina, and pulling the fetus out. I'll try to find the website, but there is a website with very graphic pictures of aborted fetuses, a mess of blood and tiny arms and legs. It's very sad.
One *Extremely* Illegal form of abortion is done within the last trimester, when the baby is already developed and viable. (Able to survive out of the womb) and labor is induced, with a butt first birth provoked, so that the head is still inside the vagina, when a TUBE is inserted in the ear, and the BRAINS are sucked out of the live, and partially born baby.
Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticrose_x3
YES, it is a woman's body...but it's a baby's LIFE.

I totally agree with you there.
#10 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mysticrose_x3
Adding- Do you know what goes into an abortion? ***Very graphic descriptions below**
You don't just take a magic pill, and *poof* no more baby. (although this DOES work very early on, like the morning after pill) some abortions (Illegal, of course) consist of inserting something up the vagina, and pulling the fetus out. I'll try to find the website, but there is a website with very graphic pictures of aborted fetuses, a mess of blood and tiny arms and legs. It's very sad.
One *Extremely* Illegal form of abortion is done within the last trimester, when the baby is already developed and viable. (Able to survive out of the womb) and labor is induced, with a butt first birth provoked, so that the head is still inside the vagina, when a TUBE is inserted in the ear, and the BRAINS are sucked out of the live, and partially born baby.

It's called partial birth abortion, and the method they use is to actually insert scissors into the base of the skull and open them up to enlarge the hole(which of course causes extreme pain for the baby) then inserting the tube into the hole, removing the brains and crushing the skull. I've seen the websites....I've had to do reports on it, I don't condone it, it's something I could NEVER do myself, but as for other women...well that's their decision
Field Researcher
#11 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:28 AM
For me it is all about resposibility. I, being a dude, would step up to the plate and do my part as a father if I ever got a girl pregant. Its my child, and no price is too much to pay for its health and well being. And every woman posting would be either "awww" or "yeah right" when they read this, but that is who I am, take it or leave it. I've been vocale on the issue before, but I have always learned that sex is like fire. It is a beautiful thing that can be used for the right reasons or the wrong reasons, but when you play with fire, you can always be burned. Abortion to me, is like a girl wearing fire proof clothing and bungee jumping into a volcano while her boyfriend goes in naked as the day he was born. I like metaphors.

Plus all the stuff about it being disgusting.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:29 AM
Oh, boy. An abortion thread. :hmm:

I have not been pregnant, so I can honestly say that I have no idea what I would do if I had an unwanted pregnancy. However, the key thing is the choice. It should be the woman's choice whether an abortion is called for; no one else has any business imposing their "values" on someone else's body, life, and fetus (no, not baby - though I don't know enough about partial-birth abortions to have an opinion on them), no matter what, especially since they can't completely understand/experience the woman's situation. How can that ever be okay?

Mad Poster
#13 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:29 AM
I think abortion is a woman's right. No one should be able to tell a woman what she can and can't do with her own body- it's a personal choice.

The purpose of abortion is to terminate a fetus. Is that fetus living? Some would argue yes, although I say no. To me, human life begins when the child has a consciousness and a rational thought process. We don't know whether the child has a thought process while in the womb, and until we do, I have no problem with abortion right up to the due date. Even if the child was conscious of being aborted, I don't think the right should be taken away. It's your body to do what you want with, and the government isn't in your position. They shouldn't be dictating when they don't know what the woman has gone through to prompt her to get an abortion. Until the child has a thought process, it's not living, in my opinion. It's only lingering. It's just surviving. We don't know whether the fetus is capable of rational thought- and we may never know.

What constantly astounds me is the amount of pro-lifers who feel the need to support the illegalization of abortion. I don't intend to sound offensive, but it bothers me. If you don't like it, then don't use abortion. Another woman's choice to abort the fetus does not hurt you. I don't see the point in restricting a necessary right to appease your moral conscience. To me, it seems like forcing your values upon another, and that's wrong.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:29 AM
I don't think it SHOULD be their descision...is it a mother's descision to kill her 3-year old, or 15 year old under "I gave you life, I can take it away?" so why is it their choice to kill their almost newborn under "It's my body" ?
It is your body...and you chose to use it for unprotected sex...if you are stuck with an unwanted pregnancy, it's because you already made your choice of what to do with your body, now you have to deal with the consequenses. YOU made the mistake, so why should the child pay the consequenses?
Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:32 AM
YOU made the mistake, so why should the child pay the consequenses?

That's not always the case. What about a rape victim who was impregnated? Do you think she made the choice to be raped? I highly doubt it. Should she have to suffer for the selfish actions of the rapist? What about a pregnant woman who would die of complications if she underwent labor? You can say that, as a mother, she would choose the life of the child over her own life, but not everyone is so compassionate. That woman didn't choose for her baby to be the sole factor that decides whether she lives or dies. Sex can be a mistake, yes, but it isn't always. Pregnancy is not always the woman's fault.

Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:33 AM
It is your body...and you chose to use it for unprotected sex...if you are stuck with an unwanted pregnancy, it's because you already made your choice of what to do with your body, now you have to deal with the consequenses. YOU made the mistake, so why should the child pay the consequenses?

How about rape? And, as I pointed out above, a fetus really, really, really isn't a baby or a child.

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:35 AM
I agree with you Rabid, and Earlier on I said that rape should be the exception to abortion, along with POSSIBLY minors, and DEFINETLY if the woman's life is in danger.
I am refering to women who took the risk of unprotected sex.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:38 AM
Daisie, that was a big debate...is it alive? and it was finally said that it is alive when it reaches the fetus stage, ( I think that's like at a month in the pregnancy, although I'm not sure) Legally, the fetus is alive, although between the From the first stage, (Just two cells joined together) up to right before it becomes a fetus, it is not a live.
Instructor
#19 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:38 AM
Actually, in one of the few peices of legislation I agree with that Bush signed, partial birth abortion is now illegal in the US.

I am personally opposed. My ex wanted me to have an abortion. I cannot imagine life without Blue's Clues and Dora in the background, good night kisses and good morning hugs. I refused to even consider abortion. I was also 18. Although I know 15 year old moms - they're good moms. I'm very much like others, if you make the adult choice to have sex, you will deal with the adult consequences. I believe life begins at conception, and as a result will never have an abortion. You say "It's a woman's choice!" I say "What about the baby's choices? Who's their voice?"

No, I don't have any scientific evidence of any kind. No, I won't act like I do. No, I won't be swayed. I think it is WRONG. And don't feed me malarky about rape and babies being born 'sick', 'defective', 'wrong', 'retarded' or any of the other excuses about why people have abortions. My best friend is a rape baby. My little girl's best friend has Down syndrome. His mom had the test and she had him anyway. I absolutely refuse to buy into that bull that everyone is owed a 'perfect' child. Some of the best kids I know are 'imperfect'. They're a gift, all babies are.

If you don't want to be a parent, then put the baby up for adoption. Someone will love that baby, even if it's not you.

Let me state also that I am pro life, but I am also a realist. I know that it will stay legal because the primary vote is pro choice. I will not go on and on about how it should be illegal. But I will continue to believe that it is morally reprehensible and just wrong. And if you don't like it, tough cookies. I believe it is. I will never change that position. But I also will not say 'Make abortion illegal!' because it's not realistic. That's just the fact.

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Proud single mom, firefighter's girl, and beautifully imperfect person.
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:42 AM
I agree with you Rabid, and Earlier on I said that rape should be the exception to abortion, along with POSSIBLY minors, and DEFINETLY if the woman's life is in danger.
I am refering to women who took the risk of unprotected sex.

Oh, okay then. Didn't read closely enough. Sorry for the confusion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from your earlier posts, I've garnered that you think unprotected sex resulting in pregnancy is a mistake. Who says unprotected sex is a mistake, though? Yeah, it's definitely a risk, but if it pans out right I don't think it's a mistake. Some would argue that pregnancy is a never a mistake, and I've heard many theists say that, no matter how unexpected, every pregnancy is God's/Allah's/Whoever's design. Yes, the woman who became pregnant admittedly took a risk. But it's not a mistake until you step into that woman's shoes and see what she has undergone to cause her to want an abortion.

What I don't understand is how some can be so arrogant as to attempt to dictate why a woman shouldn't have an abortion. Even if you think it's wrong, is it not her right? It's her body, no one else's, and she should have the right to do as she pleases with it.

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:46 AM
Great argument Chelleypie.
I googled it, instead of trying to remember from last year's health class,
From conception to day 5, it is a zygote...a collection of cells.
after day five, it is a blastocyst, day 12 is usually considered to be the start of pregnancy, when the hormones can be detected in urine.
Quote:
13 or 14 days after conception: A "primitive streak" appears. It will later develop into the fetus' central nervous system. This is the point at which spontaneous division of the blastocyst -- an event that sometimes generates identical twins -- is not longer possible. The pre-embryo is now referred to as an embryo. It is a very small blob of undifferentiated tissue at this stage of development.

Skip a few..
Quote:
5 weeks: Tiny arm and leg buds have formed. Hands with webs between the fingers have formed at the end of the arm buds. Fingerprints are detectable. The face "has a distinctly reptilian aspect." 1 "...the embryo still has a tail and cannot be distinguished from pig, rabbit, elephant, or chick embryo."

anyway, at 10 weeks it is consdidered a fetus, and leagally is alive.
If you want to look at the full thing, it's on this page
http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_fetu.htm
yes I realize it's a religion oriented website, but this page is just the facts.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chelleypie
If you don't want to be a parent, then put the baby up for adoption. Someone will love that baby, even if it's not you.

Will they really? It seems to me that many people who desire to be parents are going overseas to Asian and European countries nowadays to adopt impoverished, foreign children. I guess Brad and Angelina have set a trend . Adoption is definitely a better outcome for the unborn fetus, but with less and less native babies being adopted, it's less likely that someone will love that baby.

Some women really don't want to go through labor, either. I've known plenty of women who would rather not get pregnant because they're afraid of the pain, of the slim risk of death, of PPD, and of the rigors of parenthood that follow. Sure, there's always a C-Section, but that's no walk in the park, either.

So sure, adoption sounds nice in words. But is that reality? How can you be so sure that the baby will be adopted out? You can hope, sure, but that fetus could very well be one of the kids the adoption agency bounces around because no one will ever take it off their hands.

Instructor
#23 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:49 AM
Thank you. It's not really an argument so much as it is a position on the issue. I have no real argument, as I said before. I'm a pro life realist, an oddity. I think it's wrong, but I know it will very likely never be illegal simply because it's not popular. So I won't try and say 'It should be illegal' because I'll be wasting my breath.

Then maybe the adoption argument is moot. But that does not change my position: abortion is wrong. End of statement.

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Proud single mom, firefighter's girl, and beautifully imperfect person.
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RabidAngel77
Oh, okay then. Didn't read closely enough. Sorry for the confusion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from your earlier posts, I've garnered that you think unprotected sex resulting in pregnancy is a mistake. Who says unprotected sex is a mistake, though? Yeah, it's definitely a risk, but if it pans out right I don't think it's a mistake. Some would argue that pregnancy is a never a mistake, and I've heard many theists say that, no matter how unexpected, every pregnancy is God's/Allah's/Whoever's design. Yes, the woman who became pregnant admittedly took a risk. But it's not a mistake until you step into that woman's shoes and see what she has undergone to cause her to want an abortion.

What I don't understand is how some can be so arrogant as to attempt to dictate why a woman shouldn't have an abortion. Even if you think it's wrong, is it not her right? It's her body, no one else's, and she should have the right to do as she pleases with it.

When I say mistake- I mean taking the risk of unprotected sex when pregancy is not the desired result.

And yes, it is her body, but it's not just about her anymore, now there is an innocent life involved and I believe that that innocent life should be protected. The baby can't say "I want to live!" but do you think it wants to die? i understand that it is the woman's body, that makes perfect sense, but the woman isn't the only human involved, and so many people fail to see that.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 18th Aug 2007 at 12:54 AM
And yes, it is her body, but it's not just about her anymore, now there is an innocent life involved and I believe that that innocent life should be protected. The baby can't say "I want to live!" but do you think it wants to die?

No, the fetus can't profess it's desire to live. But how do we know that it truly has one? As I stated earlier, we have no evidence to support that unborn children have rational thought process and emotional capability. I myself don't believe that an unborn child is capable of such complicated thought process, if any thought process at all. It doesn't even know any words... do we know if fetuses have a survival instinct hard-wired into them while they're in the womb? As far as I know, we don't. There's no guarantee that the child wants to live, but there's no guarantee that they're capable of desire, either.

Page 1 of 25