Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#326 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grumpy_otter
I lived up in the Chequamegon forest --The mecca of snowmobilers and hunters. It was all the hunters could talk of for weeks--and one did show me the print newspaper article--I just can't find it online.

Yeah, that's not really my group of people there. I run into that problem no matter where I live, but I sure am out of place here in AK being the only person not excited by snowmachines, 4-wheelers, camping, hunting and carrying loaded firearms.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#327 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 3:30 AM Last edited by geallach : 27th Jul 2010 at 3:31 AM. Reason: Spelling error
It is organisations like PETA that give a bad name to the rest of us animal lovers by doing crap like this just to get attention. Practically, it could never have worked. Some of the stuff they do shows a very weak understanding of the animals they are supposedly trying to protect. Anyone who works with cows, or has a basic understanding of them, knows that if they are not milked, they become irritated and can even be in pain. It is therefore humane to milk them so they can spend their days in the field in comfort.

A mother's milk is beneficial to her baby, but there is no reason why it would be equally beneficial to an adult. Their reasons, such as the drinking of cow's milk leading children to obesity, are completely ridiculous. An entirely bad diet leads to obesity, not one thing within it that is actually good.

I heard of some nutter in England stealing a child's beloved pet rabbit, who left a note saying it was cruel to keep a rabbit in a hutch and they should be wild. Explain that to a heartbroken little girl who just wants her pet. If they did release it, it probably got killed by a dog or fox, and I have never heard of rabbits living alone in the wild and surviving. If that is not animal cruelty, then what is?
Inventor
#328 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 2:05 AM Last edited by gabrielorie : 13th Nov 2010 at 9:24 AM.
Those PETA people are sick peoples D: I'm positive that they won't drink human breast milk so why should others drink it?And why would someone rather 'hurt' a human instead of a cow ?Thats inhumane...
Forum Resident
#329 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 7:35 AM
We're talking about people who compare the slaughter of chickens to the Holocaust and people who lobby against animal shelters euthanizing populations, only to "rescue" animals and euthanize 97% of them! Hell, they give out so-called loans to terrorist groups to destroy animal research facilities. Y'know, like the ones that find more humane ways to produce insulin. Hm, I wonder if there are any diabetics in PETA.

We don't need PETA. There are much more rational, hardworking organizations fighting animal cruelty that aren't run by hypocrites. Animal rights have a purpose, but they also have a limit. PETA crossed the line ages ago.
Instructor
#330 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 8:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Element Leaf
We're talking about people who compare the slaughter of chickens to the Holocaust

Why are people so damn uptight about this? I don't think they ever said it was as bad as the holocaust, but to compare the two is pretty valid in my opinion. There are enough similarities there (the fact that it's sickeningly cruel in practically ever way, for one).
Banned
#331 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 9:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jooxis
Why are people so damn uptight about this? I don't think they ever said it was as bad as the holocaust, but to compare the two is pretty valid in my opinion. There are enough similarities there (the fact that it's sickeningly cruel in practically ever way, for one).

yeah this pretty much sums up that they did pretty much say it was as bad as the holocaust...

http://www.boycottwatch.org/misc/PETA-Vs-Holocaust.htm
Instructor
#332 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 9:12 AM
I know about the campaign but I didn't find it as outrageous as everyone else did. I suppose it was supposed to be controversial (like most of their campaigns). However, I can see systemic mass killing of humans and systemic mass killing of animals to be at least on a comparable level. Similarities exist. Since we all do feel pain/fear/suffering, whether you are comfortable about that or not.
Banned
#333 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 9:20 AM
I know about the campaign but I didn't find it as outrageous as everyone else did. I suppose it was supposed to be controversial (like most of their campaigns). However, I can see systemic mass killing of humans and systemic mass killing of animals to be at least on a comparable level. Similarities exist. Since we all do feel pain/fear/suffering, whether you are comfortable about that or not.

I rarely ever hear anything out of PETA in my neck of the woods, I think the only campaign I ever heard of PETA doing was the naked campaign. Very big hunting community in this area, PETA isn't much liked around here lol But yes there are similarities, and really if you boil it all down, mass killings of humans and mass killings of animals are exactly the same thing due to the very simple fact that humans are animals, somehow PETA always seems to ignore it(as do a lot of the population of the world)
Forum Resident
#334 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 9:55 AM Last edited by Element Leaf : 22nd Oct 2010 at 10:11 AM.
One can find similarities between anything. The problem with PETA's campaign was not that it personified animals, but that it dehumanized victims of the Holocaust. If we're going to compare chickens to human beings, we're also comparing human beings to chickens. The victims murdered in the name of ethnic cleansing deserve more respect than that.

Quote:
mass killings of humans and mass killings of animals are exactly the same thing due to the very simple fact that humans are animals, somehow PETA always seems to ignore it(as do a lot of the population of the world)
Yeah, and brushing your teeth is mass murder. We don't stop biological taxonomy at "domain" for a reason.

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Mad Poster
#335 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 10:05 AM
^ That was what I was thinking. The Holocaust was much, much more than 'just' mass killing. Whilst I realise that PETA are trying to make people sound evil, or whatever, for killing chickens for food, I think it actually just does what Element Leaf said: dehumanises the victims and downplays the seriousness and tragedy of what happened during the Holocaust. If I, or someone I loved, were a survivor I'd be pretty pissed off at that weak comparison.
Instructor
#336 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 10:40 AM
Well, people will always interpet stuff differently then. I personally see no dehumanization in an attempt to acknowledge that animals feel pain like we do. I know I feel pain and fear like an animal does, I don't think this belittles me or dehumanizes me in any way - it's just the way it really is.
Lab Assistant
#337 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 11:27 AM
Miliking the cows dosn't hurt them in any way, so whys hould this be a problem?

The entire issue seems fake, like someone made it up. That's how dumb this is. Did anyone at PETA ever try to take a step back and look at the situation? If they did, how could they possibly still be fighting this?

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/madelinep/

[{call me maddie}]
Forum Resident
#338 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 4:51 PM
So they want us to drink some random woman's breast milk??! Ah I'll pass!

~ Guysim's Behance Profile ~

"When This baby goes 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious !*@#"
- Doctor Emment Brown A.K.A Doc, Back To The Future
Inventor
#339 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Guysim1993
So they want us to drink some random woman's breast milk??! Ah I'll pass!

Right, better a random hairy cow's breast milk.
Mad Poster
#340 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 6:21 PM
Mm hairy cow udders

jooxis - Yeah, it will be interpreted differently based on how each person sees animals in relation to humans. I do understand what point they are trying to make (don't necessarily agree with it, but whatever) but I just think it's a pretty tacky comparison to make.
Banned
#341 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Element Leaf
Yeah, and brushing your teeth is mass murder. We don't stop biological taxonomy at "domain" for a reason.

I did state "if you boil it down", with the reasons behind killing of animals/humans added into the mixture mass killings of animals and mass killings of humans aren't the same.
Mad Poster
#342 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 6:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gabrielorie
And why would someone rather 'hurt' a human instead of a cow ?Thats inhumane...

Unless they're going to round up women, impregnate them so they start lactating, take away their babies, and then forcibly milk them... I don't think you have much to worry about. Unless you care that this happens to cows, of course...
Field Researcher
#343 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 8:26 PM
On one hand, I can sympathize with the cause of PETA, the ethical treatment of animals:

I personally feel a very strong attachment to animals, and was a vegetarian for years. Although I do eat meat now, I still struggle with this ethical dilemma and try to eat meat as little as possible. I won't even get started with my feelings about abuse, neglect, excessive animal testing for mere financial reasons, shelter situations, and people not spaying and neutering their pets...

On the other hand, I do not think it is very realistic for PETA (or myself) to expect everyone to have this same philosophy and affinity to animals.

And unfortunately, PETA's extreme tactics make it impossible for people who are not already sympathetic to the issues to really take the problem seriously. Most people see a PETA headline, chuckle, and move on to the next article. It is like a joke.

I do think that it is very important for people to respect all living creatures, and I find it unacceptable, that in 2010, we have made such little progress in this area. The amount of cruelty that humans inflict upon life itself is so sad. I believe that there definitely should be strict standards in place for the humane treatment animals, and we have such a long way to go. I believe in this cause, but I will not support PETA, because I believe that they actually impede progress with these kinds of actions.

Page 14 of 14