Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#276 Old 24th Sep 2010 at 9:12 PM
Y'know, I think I know why I support fining the guy. If he was just some jackass all out on his lonesome or something, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I would agree that fining him would be a bad decision.

But as I said earlier, I think he is partly responsible for putting other people (namely, our troops) into an even greater danger than they already are over this crap.

It's sort of like if you yell "Fire" in a crowded theater. Oh sure, it could be seen as freedom of speech, but you also possibly endangered the health to other people and should be held responsible.

But I TOTALLY agree that a big part of it was the freaking media. If anything, it's not just that, is the media's attention toward fucking Fox News! From what I understand, and maybe I'm remembering wrong, his little rally was first brought up by a conservative blogger. Then picked up by Fox News. THEN picked up by the rest of the media because, oh hey, it was on Fox News. Just like the ACORN story. And some other stories, though I can't recall right off hand what they are; Fox News reports them, and it somehow gets the attention of all these other news stations. Even though Fox News is full of shit and it's nothing but shit.

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#277 Old 24th Sep 2010 at 10:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Well, I suppose that's probably true. There certainly seem to be a much lower percentage of bible-bashing fire-and-brimstone Christians in the UK. They seem to take a bit more casual approach to it, even the true believers, not just those in it for the social aspects (I'm not trying to be insulting toward casual religion here, I just don't know else to put it - but Eddie Izzard does).
That's a good way to put it - casual. Definitely true. And if I could have everything explained to me by Eddie Izzard, I so would.

Quote: Originally posted by Nekowolf
Y'know, I think I know why I support fining the guy. If he was just some jackass all out on his lonesome or something, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I would agree that fining him would be a bad decision.

But as I said earlier, I think he is partly responsible for putting other people (namely, our troops) into an even greater danger than they already are over this crap.

It's sort of like if you yell "Fire" in a crowded theater. Oh sure, it could be seen as freedom of speech, but you also possibly endangered the health to other people and should be held responsible.
I agree with you there, especially that last paragraph. I'm pretty sure the reason we outlaw such behaviour is because of the potential consequences - often they could be so much worse than the event which led to them. And yes, before anyone starts, the people who retaliate are also to blame, but you can't deny that the taunter isn't also responsible.

Quote: Originally posted by Nekowolf
But I TOTALLY agree that a big part of it was the freaking media. If anything, it's not just that, is the media's attention toward fucking Fox News! From what I understand, and maybe I'm remembering wrong, his little rally was first brought up by a conservative blogger. Then picked up by Fox News. THEN picked up by the rest of the media because, oh hey, it was on Fox News. Just like the ACORN story. And some other stories, though I can't recall right off hand what they are; Fox News reports them, and it somehow gets the attention of all these other news stations. Even though Fox News is full of shit and it's nothing but shit.
Is Fox News like the US equivalent of the Daily Mail? Because it sounds like it!
Scholar
#278 Old 24th Sep 2010 at 10:44 PM
From what I understand of the Daily Mail, I would say yes, except Fox News has an entirely conservative slant.

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?

Page 12 of 12