Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2016 at 8:48 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Blue and white dress
Can someone help me track down this dress that is lurking somewhere in my downloads? It is classified as everything: everyday, outerwear, undies, PJs, formal, and, as in this case, swimwear.

I can avoid it with my playable sims, but the townies prefer it. It walks by on old ladies, sticks up from dormy bedclothes, and dives into swimming pools. The thing is a menace, and I regret ever downloading it. It must be masquerading under one of those collections of letters and numbers that give no clues to identity. Can anyone identify it?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 6th Mar 2016 at 6:32 AM
Have you tried using the boolprop testing cheats while in CaS? you can type it before or after you enter, then use shift + n or m, forgot which, use the pointer over the outfit and it gives the info, either a name or numbers/letters. Write them down, then search the folders.There might be an easier way, but that's the one I know of. I too find it annoying when the item has a different name than what the download says.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Mar 2016 at 6:44 AM
Is it VBT to delete them in Bodyshop?
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 6th Mar 2016 at 10:16 AM
Create a sim in Bodyshop wearing the outfit, package the sim, and open the package with S2PCI to learn the name of the CC.

You can change the categories with the Wardrobe Wrangler if you wish to keep the outfit just not for everyone and every category.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Mar 2016 at 11:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Duine
Have you tried using the boolprop testing cheats while in CaS? you can type it before or after you enter, then use shift + n or m, forgot which, use the pointer over the outfit and it gives the info, either a name or numbers/letters. Write them down, then search the folders.There might be an easier way, but that's the one I know of. I too find it annoying when the item has a different name than what the download says.

Thanks - I'll give that a go.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 6th Mar 2016 at 11:48 AM
Did you download it as part of a packaged Sim. or as a separate outfit?
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 6:54 PM

I tried what you suggested: entered boolprop testingcheatsenabled true, went into CAS and pressed shift +n. When my trial sim came to trying on pyjamas, she stood there in the beastly blue dress:

The blue dress was not among the thirty-one pictured sets of PJs. She stood there wearing it, but I still could not identify it. What can I try now? Today two townies walked by, both wearing the ridiculous dress as outerwear. I gnashed my teeth.
Banned
#8 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 7:09 PM
know how to download it for my sim
Instructor
#9 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 7:18 PM
Have you tried to find it using clean installer? That gives a little picture next to the item that might help
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 7:44 PM
Doing that with Clean Installer can be a PITA with a large downloads folder but sometimes it's about the only option that will allow you to get at stuff. One thing you can do to help along is to use the tabs at the top of the page to sort things - press the 'Type' tab and all your skins should be bunched together. You won't have to look at everything then (you can also remove all objects/hacks/whatevers - everything except skins - from your Download folder before you scan. That should save you some time.
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#11 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 11:27 PM
If you can identify somebody (playable or townie) who is wearing the thing as everyday wear, I'd suggest extracting them in SimSurgery since that way you can deal with them already in the dress. So if you have a name, extract them. Find them in Bodyshop and package them to a file. Open the simspack file you just made and 'install' to a file you make called something like KILL BLUE DRESS. Open the KILL BLUE DRESS folder and find the name of the dress. Search your entire downloads folder including any defaults for that file name. That should be the dress.

To me this sounds like a default gone berserk.
Theorist
#12 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 8:07 AM
I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it. My suggestion was how I find out what the outfit name is, then search folders for it. Did you mouse over the outfit in the selection panel? Most clothing will give info such as the name of it, which might help to find it in your folders. Sometimes it gives the file name and sometimes it's numbers, etc.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 2:13 PM
I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it. My suggestion was how I find out what the outfit name is, then search folders for it. Did you mouse over the outfit in the selection panel? Most clothing will give info such as the name of it, which might help to find it in your folders. Sometimes it gives the file name and sometimes it's numbers, etc.
Oh I agree. That usually works. The OP said no name or numbers showed up, though. I have about 3900 files in my clothing folder, which isn't nearly as much as some people but it's a lot. Using Clean Installer to look at the pictures wouldn't be realistic - I'd resort to 50/50 rather than do that but that's obviously a personal preference. I have no idea what the problem is either.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 3:14 PM Last edited by dharden : 20th Mar 2016 at 4:21 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by music2ologist
I tried what you suggested: entered boolprop testingcheatsenabled true, went into CAS and pressed shift +n. When my trial sim came to trying on pyjamas, she stood there in the beastly blue dress:

The blue dress was not among the thirty-one pictured sets of PJs. She stood there wearing it, but I still could not identify it. What can I try now? Today two townies walked by, both wearing the ridiculous dress as outerwear. I gnashed my teeth.

It sounds as though its package file may have been taken from the Projects folder instead of the Saved Sims folder. Those packages don't have the Binary Index, so they won't appear in CAS. However, at least in my experience, they can still be assigned to Sims.

ETA: Clean Installer will highlight files without a Binary Index in light blue, and list their type as "Incomplete Body Shop Project". Not every "Incomplete Body Shop Project" is invalid. If you use default replacements, some may be tagged as "Incomplete Body Shop Project", but any "Incomplete Body Shop Project" that isn't a default is probably invalid.
Inventor
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 5:26 PM
Feeling more than a little paranoid, I started looking at all the files in Clean Installer that have a picture, and I found this:
Made by Chibi Sylphe. Happy Halloween! .... ChibiSylphe_witchdress03
The picture was only of a necklace, triple row with ruby pendant, very blurry ... but I thought I recognised it. In a fit of rage I hit Delete, but I may have been unjust. Anyway, it's gone for good. Time will tell whether I shot the wrong monster.
[Edit] Yes, I did. I searched for 'witch' here, and found this:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=480948
Now I wonder what I have destroyed ...
Anyway, whatever you do, don't download this dress! Thanks for your help in the hunt.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 6:17 PM
I see you posted on the thread. It looks like other people had trouble too. The irritating thing is it's probably just an error when it was made and could be fixable.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by music2ologist
Feeling more than a little paranoid, I started looking at all the files in Clean Installer that have a picture, and I found this:
Made by Chibi Sylphe. Happy Halloween! .... ChibiSylphe_witchdress03
The picture was only of a necklace, triple row with ruby pendant, very blurry ... but I thought I recognised it. In a fit of rage I hit Delete, but I may have been unjust. Anyway, it's gone for good. Time will tell whether I shot the wrong monster.
[Edit] Yes, I did. I searched for 'witch' here, and found this:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=480948
Now I wonder what I have destroyed ...
Anyway, whatever you do, don't download this dress! Thanks for your help in the hunt.

If an item has more than one texture, you'll need to use the "Next" and/or "Prev" buttons to see all of them. Anyway, I found the first dress you mentioned at Parsimonious, and it looks OK in SimPE, so if you want it back...

The Problem Dress is an incomplete package. I normally don't do medieval or witch clothes, but since it's a Maxis recolor, I might be able to fix it up if you really want that style as an option.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 7:10 PM Last edited by maxon : 20th Mar 2016 at 7:27 PM.
Is it the wrong sort of file dharden? Bodyshop project file? There are a number of those on here. I fixed some others. If that's the case, it's probably best to flag the original thread as file not working (use the report button). MTS really doesn't want downloads on here that don't work as intended but they rely on us users to report problems. If you report it, a mod will come along and make the thread invisible to users.

Edit: Yes, project file. I extracted the png (because they're pngs not bmps) and converted to bmp and recreated the file. Works properly now.
Screenshots