Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 3:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Can't Install Subhoods
After hours of unsuccessful troubleshooting, I'm posting here in hopes someone might have an idea I haven't thought of. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Computer stats are below; I'm playing the Ultimate Collection.

Here's the issue: My game won't install non-Maxis Shopping Districts or Downtowns. Specifically, I've been trying to install the Tarlia versions of Belladonna Cove and Pleasantview as shopping districts. I also tried to add Tarlia's Belladonna Cove as a downtown when the Shopping Districts didn't work.

What happens is that when I select one of those subhoods to install in my neighborhood, the game begins the new subhood installation/loading screen as normal. However, it then freezes after the second column. The hourglass cursor turns back into a white regular mouse cursor. Typically, the game doesn't crash right away - I've let it sit there, frozen, for over 20 minutes in the vain hope it might just be a lagging issue - but eventually and inevitably, the game crashes.

The game WILL, however, successfully install the Maxis versions of Downtown or Bluewater Village, all within 1 minute at the most. However, if I modify those files in any way to swap out for an empty template from MATY, or Tarlia's fixed versions, then I get the same freezing issue after the second column in the load screen.

I also AM able to replace the stealth hoods with empty templates, so this loading issue appears to be limited to modified Downtown and Shopping Districts.

I've tried everything I can think of, including following all the steps in the Game Problem FAQ - which isolated the problem to be an issue with the game files themselves (not user files/downloads/specific to any neighborhood). I have used the Origin repair games button. No change. As a last resort, I just completed a complete game reinstall. No change.

The game otherwise functions without problems as far as I can tell. But I'm very disappointed at the idea of not having the ability to create a megahood in my game (or having to deal with the messiness of the Maxis original Downtown and Bluewater Village, for that matter).

Any recommendations? Thank you so much for any suggestions you have.

Computer stats per DirectX Diagnostic:
•Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586)
•Processor type and speed: Intel Core i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
•RAM: 8192MB
•Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 530
•Graphics card RAM: 4160MB
•Graphics card driver version: 20.19.15.4331
As mentioned before, I'm playing Ultimate Collection.