Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 4:01 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default sims 2 application has crashed and will now terminate but only when trying to load one family
I really wasn't going to post this, but I'm not fully sure what to try next

So, I was playing with this family of mine last night, but something I didn't want to happen happened so I quit my game without saving

I'm not fully sure when I last saved, but it hadn't been very long ago

When I reopened my game and went to the family and tried loading them and it came up with the message "application has crashed and will now terminate "

And it's still doing this

I tried deleting all the cache files, and that didn't work

I've tried restarting my computer and that hasn't worked

I've read about this error happening because of custom content, but I have yet to get any and there's nothing in my downloads folder

I've also read about this happening because of conflicts with antivirus, but I have no idea whether or not to tell if this is the problem or how exactly to fix if that is the case

I've also read this can happen because of compatibility issues, but I don't think this is the case because I'm playing on windows 8.1 and not windows 10, and have never had a compatibility issue before. Additionally, the game is still starting, and my other families load, just not this one.

I've also read this can happen because of a lack of ram, but my computer has 8 gb so that should be fine. Although could it be because my hard dive is running out of space? (there's currently only 15.4 gb left. I have another hard drive I can move things to make space if need be)

I've tried loading other families and they load just fine (however I have not tested create a Sim and such but I really doubt it I really think it is just this one family)

I would just restore an old backup, but I don't want to because I did some major things with the family I really don't want to redo. (Thought if worse comes to worse I will)

I'm worried a mistake I made could be why this is happening, and I'm not fully sure how to locate the problem

Like, I would worry if earlier when I had restored an old backup (deleted a documents/EA Games folder and replaced it with an older backup) I made a mistake somehow even all I did was delete then copy and paste the old folder, and I'm always so careful with all that. I really don't think this is the problem because I did that before I started playing for the day, and I quit and reentered my game with no problems several times throughout the day and everything was working great

Although, recently, I started putting backups onto a folder on my desktop, because I didn't feel like getting out the external hard drive I had been putting them on before. I earlier moved this backup folder onto my other hard drive to make more space on my main drive. Could storing backups in these places be causing my problem? I also doubt this is the problem.

Also, I worry I accidentally saved previously at a bad moment and that caused some sort of problem or corruption? Though, I always check for things like making sure Sims aren't on the phone and things like that to avoid corruption when saving. I was saving very often (in case something I didn't want to happen did happen) and a lot was going on, but I was being careful and checking, but I worry I could have just missed something. A townie was over at the house last night I saved, and I think other Sims from my neighborhood too (it's a custom hood) when I saved, so could that be a problem?

Also, when this first happened I was afraid it could be the corruption in my hood catching up to me, which made me sad because copying Sims with Sims pe (which I plan on doing someday) would be a lot of work and I wanted to get a couple more years out of this hood (I avoid further corruption, save often, and sometimes use the remove feature of hood checker, which I think I did after this happened because I hadn't done it in quite a while) I also did have some weird signs of corruption, like I think I caught a child girl thinking about a grown man with hearts and I might have saw someone think about a dog with hearts. I also saw a Sim of mine show up on the lot with her head backwards for a moment, and I think I might have saved soon after that happened.

So, feel free to ask me for more details. (I might add more tomorrow, I don't have time to add more details right now) I just really want some suggestions on what to try next. I need advice. I don't want to put a lot of work into something like dealing with antivirus or dealing with compatibility if it's unnecessary. I really want this fixed and I hope I can get some help here.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 11:10 AM
I don't think you did anything wrong. I suspect the game has run into a problem with the lot and it can't get around it. Possibly the easiest solution would be to move the family out of the lot or summon them to another lot and temporarily move them in with another family. You'd do this with a transporter. I know this is probably not what you want to do but you're probably not going to get back into the lot anyway. Also, since you exited without saving, anything you did with the family will not be saved anyway so the progress you made is lost.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 11:50 AM
Sounds like something corrupted with the lot or a sim. Not having the essential mods is risky, they are there to help stop your hood from blowing up. You should at least go get No Sim loaded +Smarter EP check, the bat box, no corrupt death and no unlink on delete.

Once you move them to another lot either by move out or teleporter see if you can load the lot. If it loads and the sims also seem fine try moving them back. See what No sim loaded can 'fry' off the lot as well as the batbox. Chris hatches lot cleaner would be a good idea as well since it can be used on lots without sims. I would also run Hood Checker-again something you should have if you want to keep any hoods for a decent length of time. Don't be too surprised though if the lot needs to be bulldozed. Only don't do that if you have graves on it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Not actually evil.
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 6:31 PM
@joandsarah77 - What is 'no sim loaded' and where do I get that? I have all the others you mentioned.

What teleporter(s) do folks recommend? I know of the simbology ones, which others are good? I think pescado has some but don't recall what/where.

Simbology Teleporters
http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...Teleporters.htm

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 6:37 PM
NoSimLoaded - by BoilingOil on Leefish - http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/thread-1665.html

The most important function of this mod is probably that it suppresses the super duper hug bug. It also gets rid of tokens left behind on lots.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 9:07 PM
I use Inge's cat mostly for teleportation though there are others.

Oh wait you got the Simlogical link - that's not Simbology though, it's SimLogical.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
@joandsarah77 - What is 'no sim loaded' and where do I get that? I have all the others you mentioned.

What teleporter(s) do folks recommend? I know of the simbology ones, which others are good? I think pescado has some but don't recall what/where.

Simbology Teleporters
http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...Teleporters.htm

I like Paladin's Visual Teleporter. It's a yellow vase and uses the phone book interface. This teleporter unlike others that I have found sorts Sims into categories like Playable, NPC, Townie, Downtownie, Tourist, etc. and this makes it very easy to find a specific sim. http://simfileshare.net/folder/15690/

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 10:58 PM
@CatOfEvilGenius Petro linked to it. You also need Cyjon's Smarter EP Check with it or no sim loaded won't work.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 4:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Sounds like something corrupted with the lot or a sim. Not having the essential mods is risky, they are there to help stop your hood from blowing up. You should at least go get No Sim loaded +Smarter EP check, the bat box, no corrupt death and no unlink on delete.

Once you move them to another lot either by move out or teleporter see if you can load the lot. If it loads and the sims also seem fine try moving them back. See what No sim loaded can 'fry' off the lot as well as the batbox. Chris hatches lot cleaner would be a good idea as well since it can be used on lots without sims. I would also run Hood Checker-again something you should have if you want to keep any hoods for a decent length of time. Don't be too surprised though if the lot needs to be bulldozed. Only don't do that if you have graves on it.

Thank, you I should probably look into getting the essential mods (I've just been lazy and worried about if anything gets complicated especially with patches and new expansions. I honestly have no clue what patches me game does and doesn't have and if there are any I wouldn't want)

Also, I forgot to mention this, but I did try moving the family out of the house and back into the house but that did not work. I will try moving them iniot a another house I forget if I tried that or not.

I tried moving them into a new house and that worked. I;m upset about l;osng their old house, but I'm more okay with that than losing the progress I had with the family. I have many screenshots of the old house. I can make it home again

There are no graves or urns on the lot, so it should be perfectly fine to bulldoze the old lot, put down a new house, and decoeate it to be their own. I had already told myself earlier I was okay with having to redecorate their house.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas <3

I didn't think of lot corruption for some reason and I should have. (I really have no idea why my brain didn't consider it was a problem with the lot when that makes so sense) I have no idea how it got corrupted though.

I'll still look into essential mods tho I should get them.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 5:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I don't think you did anything wrong. I suspect the game has run into a problem with the lot and it can't get around it. Possibly the easiest solution would be to move the family out of the lot or summon them to another lot and temporarily move them in with another family. You'd do this with a transporter. I know this is probably not what you want to do but you're probably not going to get back into the lot anyway. Also, since you exited without saving, anything you did with the family will not be saved anyway so the progress you made is lost.

I don't know what a transporter is.

Also, I had tried moving them out before, just didn't;'t consider trying a different lot (I have no idea how I didn't consider the lot being corrupted I really don't I should have)

Also what I restarted without saving on purpose. I lost a little bit of progress on purpose. However, I did save after some important events that were not saved to my previous backup.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 12:13 PM
Glad you sorted it out - moving sims out and putting them on a new lot can reset a lot of things so hopefully life will progress without event for them now.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 12:29 PM
Sometimes lots bork. It's an imperfect world. I hate it when that happens because I hate to lose a house that way. But, the main thing is you have your family. Do grab the essential fixes, though. It will save you a lot of heartbreak in the future.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/