Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2011 at 7:42 AM
Default Custom Shoes
I enjoy creating shoes a lot for the sims, - own meshes, and rigging them which has worked quite excelent. But the limitation on UVmap is so small for shoes that the textures Often Do not look their best as I have many mesh parts on the shoes to fit on the area.
Moving the map on the area of bottoms (which would cause overlapping) would cause the problem of the texture ending up on the bottoms or viceversa.
The thing here is that the shoes I just made are almost knee high, not by textures but by actucal Mesh.

Is there a way for me to place shoe's mesh parts on Uvmap on the area of the bottoms without ending up with any problems?
(Well of course Mesh clipping would happen but that's not a big issue since I ment these for skirt)

Here's a image to perhaps get better idea of what I mean.

~Perfectionist, Workaholic, Friendly, Artistic, Good sense of humor~
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 1st Mar 2011 at 2:16 PM
i am strugling with the same issues....
Had some test with them using a accesoire file for it and set it as shoe in the clothing category.
This works as long as there is no skin involved and you can use the full 512x512 texture(or even bigger) for it.
Unfortunate the shoes will have the same setup as the accesoires and will lose alot texture quality when putting on a accesoire when the sim wears the shoes.

With you boots you can also use the space were the calves normally are mapped
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 12:42 AM Last edited by -Mallow- : 2nd Mar 2011 at 4:18 AM.
Interesting, That is a clever way you decided to do this. I'll give it a try

~Perfectionist, Workaholic, Friendly, Artistic, Good sense of humor~
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 10:43 AM
cmomoney did the same thing with his athletic shoes - it does, indeed, get round the problem of shitty shoe textures (all shoe textures are shitty - just look at them close to...); but, as Bloom says, all that improvement is lost if the sim wears an accessory. :/

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 2:45 PM
That is quite sad, EA didn't care much about shoes
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 7:16 PM
Its prolly just a setting but no idea how to change it(CAS Geom Flags)
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 10:20 PM
Another simple solution is to make the texture file bigger
I just converted Jessi's skintone(Poser 6) wich has 3000x3000 textures and they work fine ingame.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 5:35 AM
So you are saying resizing the texture of the file that has tops, bottoms, shoes etc can be done? So it doesn't have to be size 1024X1024 only? Would that also works with skinfiles, as making the file size bigger to get better result. Or have I understood this wrong?
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 7:36 AM
I am sure it will work for clothing, TSRW even auto updates other related textures but i doubt if its necesarry.