Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 3:45 PM
Default Ceiling Tile Glitch
I've been painting my ceiling tiles, but when I save, exit and reload, the tiles end up all messed up.

I don't mind repainting and fixing those issues, but there's also missing ceiling tiles inside that I can't seem to fix. Any solutions to this?

Thanks
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 6:20 PM
If there are missing ones, usually it just means you have a hole in the floor of the room above?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 6:21 PM
I got those issues sometimes. The only way i found to fix them it's to simply delete the missing tiles by the top and redo them.

I don't know if it's a graphic, or a game glitch.

The MTS3 Build to Plan Contest Winner.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=417308
dodgy builder
#4 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 6:55 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 13th Jan 2013 at 7:09 PM.
I have just stopped painting the ceiling if I have a house I used cfe on. I'm not totally sure it's always connected though.

I have come across two different types.
1: probably connected to using cfe. I can knock them down and may end up with a missing tile in the roof seen from below.

CoconutIslandPlaytesting206 by Volvenom, on Flickr

Here on a house by Nilxis, extensive cfe used with painted ceilings:

Emporda8Beta by Nilxis by Volvenom, on Flickr

Emporda8Beta by Nilxis by Volvenom, on Flickr

2: floating landings, half roofs, roofs with different levels in the roof (cfe roofs). Tiles cannot be knocked down, but rebuilding may sometimes fix the issue if I find the right way to do it. I had the problem on a house I only used cfe on the landing for a staircase. Seen from below the landing was way too high for the base I built it on.

The house below is 2 floor high open room and there shouldn't be a roof there.

121012CliffhouseBUG228 by Volvenom, on Flickr

Here I triggered it when I knocked down the column straight through 3 floors because I was lazy and the other levels didn't matter:

TS3W 2012-06-04 16-54-50-06 by Volvenom, on Flickr

I think there is very little being said about this. I saw TeeHeehee came up with a solution on #1 of holding down shift and place painting all over big ceiling section. I didn't think it helped much and dropped the painting on more complicated houses. The second bug probably has nothing to do with painting ceilings.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
If there are missing ones, usually it just means you have a hole in the floor of the room above?

It's a strange bug- there's floor above, but no ceiling below. It's far more irritating than other bugs, namely because I don't know how to fix it yet.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Jan 2013 at 7:50 PM
Usually I have needed to delete the above floor in all it's completeness (whole room), also make sure the floor is absolutely level (after using CFE) and then replace the floor- and ceiling tiles.

Sometimes there are stubborn holes that just don't go away no matter what you try... >.<
Field Researcher
#7 Old 16th Jan 2013 at 8:01 AM
I usually get those tiles back into place when i go to color the ceiling, though i assume that was tried and didnt work
Test Subject
#8 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 7:04 AM
It's probably not related to CFE *or* painted ceilings.

I first noticed the problem when I was playing in Bridgeport and I took over The Crib (top of the hill where Tom Wordy starts). That build made brilliant and extensive use of CFE. EAxis didn't fully level things so the floors and walls were ever-so-slightly crooked. Even after I tore the house down, leveled the lot and built fresh, I'd get holes in the ceiling and tiles floating on the lawn where they didn't belong. The yard floaters weren't always unpainted; sometimes they'd take on the colors of the missing tiles in the ceiling. Every save, though, it was always the same missing patches and the same extra floating ones ... they seemed to be somehow linked, because the number of tiles I deleted off the lawn equaled the number of tiles I replaced inside.

I had the same thing happen in Isla Paradiso, on two different islands, with trees sinking into the basement so their stumps poked through the ceiling and patches of the ceiling simply vanishing into inky blackness. No problem with the first two floors' ceilings, however. In the basement, it was just a process of *threatening* to change the ceiling tiles; just holding CTRL with a floor tile ready to paint would make the missing sections reappear.

Moving back to Sunset Valley, I took residence on the 64×64 between the Altos and Landgraabs which is perfectly flat. No CFE, no painted ceilings, and sections of the first floor ceiling disappeared every save and reappeared in the open courtyard. Always the same tiles, always an equal number of extras to missing. In order to fix it, I painted the section, and the floor tiles that floated in the courtyard had the same texture as the tiles that were missing from the bedroom and hallway, in exactly the same numbers.

So what I think is happening is, the system the EAxis has for saving build data doesn't properly address ceiling tiles. Given the complexity, I think I'm comfortable that this is the only (obvious) thing wrong, even though it does make me stop to rebuild every time I load a game if I want to take screenshots. The stubborn patches you talk about seem to always clear up when I find the corresponding floating tiles in the yard and sledgehammer them; then I'm able to eyedropper a nearby tile and drag a patch across the hole. Some of the builds you're showing off look like they lack yards. It could be that the address failure is moving these tiles to other sections of the house, and since I can't re-paint the holes until the moved tiles are hammered out, you may be in for removing all the ceiling tiles on a floor before being able to patch those holes.

I came hoping some genius had fixed it, but apparently not. Hope my observations help, though.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 9:36 AM
I'm wondering if this has changed. Before it was really quite easy to predict when I would get these kinds of troubles. Now I just finished a very simple house really with painted ceilings, and it has a courtyard like your suggest. I didn't use any cfe or placefriezes on this house. I have seen lately how placefriezes has also caused problems. On the resent house I had to knock down some tiles to make it go away.

Another house I have made didn't have troubles at the time I made it for my world Stranda, that must be a year ago or something, then suddenly now before the worlds relieze, it shows up floating ceiling tiles of the type I can knock down. I used both cfe and placefriezes on it, and it's much more complicated than it looks, but I did not paint any ceilings. It has courtyard if you by that count open areas closer to the middle, but it's not closed the courtyard.