Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 12:13 AM
Mesh Transparency Issues
Hello! I'm having an error with some of my accessory meshes but, honestly, I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum for this thread or not. I don't know if the error is being caused by the mesh or the recolor so I wasn't sure where to put this.

Anyway, the problem I'm having is that with an accessory mesh I made, along with some others I made, is showing some weird transparency and I can't figure out what the cause is or how to fix it. I had something similar happen to these same meshes a while ago but it was causing the mesh parts to actually show through a Sim, and thanks to help from someone on here I was able to fix that. I thought that I had everything working fine but when I was finally about to start getting serious about filming my fanfilm project I noticed this latest glitch...

What's happening is that the mesh is showing with various parts invisible. None of these should be invisible-- in fact, nothing on the mesh should have any transparency at all-- but for whatever reason they are. Here's what I mean...

This is how the accessory mesh (which most of it is aligned to spine2 with half of the hose aligned to spine0) should look. This was taken in BodyShop...

And this is how it appears in The Sims 2...

As you can see there are various parts that are invisible and some edges are being cut off and I can't figure out why. There shouldn't be any transparency at all on these meshes, let alone how they're appearing in-game. The texture images don't have any transparency, I set the transparency settings in SimPE to "none", I tried changing the image import settings, I changed "numskinwgts" to 3 instead of 1, I tried changing "StandardMaterial" to "SimStandardMaterial", tried fiddling around with the mesh in case I didn't have something assigned properly, but nothing has fixed this issue. It's driving me crazy.

The accessories were cloned from pairs of base-game glasses. The male mesh was cloned from the frameless green-framed glasses and the female mesh was cloned from the black-framed rose-lens glasses.

What is causing this to happen? And how can I fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Here's a link to a few of the problem meshes if anyone would like to take a look at them. These are but one of a few that I've made that are having these issues...
http://simfileshare.net/download/249795/
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 12:44 AM
Moved to the Bodyshop forum.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Space Pony
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 6:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maybesomethingdunno
Moved to the Bodyshop forum.
Ack, sorry, I thought that I had put in in the BodyShop section.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 12:53 PM
Are you sure it's a transparency issue? It looks to me like different mesh parts are just clipping through each other when the sim moves.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 9:58 PM
From the pictures, it seems to me that there are some issues with the mesh's normals.
In what program did you make the model? I known that when I make accessories in Maya, I need to 'separate' the edges I want to appear hard, otherwise the normals will be averaged and look weird once in the game. Iirc, the equivalent function in Milkshape is 'unweld'.

Beside that, I'd say recheck your bone assignment. It looks to me like the white button is stretching through the sim on the second picture - maybe one of the spine bones is moving in unexpected ways?

I'm http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com/ on tumblr, admittedly not very active on MTS.