Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 1:49 AM
Default Can you build a pool above the first floor?
Hi!! Well i'm building a hotel right now, and made the gym/pool second floor. Until i realized i can't make a pool on the second floor! GRRR! I made the layout any everything i dun wanna re-do it all!! Is there a hack or mod i can use to let me do this? Or perhaps someone make one? >_<
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 1:54 AM
or maybe someone can show meh? >_<
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 2:05 AM
If moveobjects on doesn't work, I couldn’t tell ya... I thought about putting a pool on another story of a house, but never got around to it.
Test Subject
#4 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:50 AM
To amend the question in the OP a little bit... If you build a floor two levels below the ground level, can you trick the game in to allowing you to build a pool on the level above this floor? Hope I worded that right and its not too awkward to visualize, just want to know if you can make a pool level with the ground, with rooms below it.

I'd try it myself but I can't play the game right now.
Eminence Grise
#5 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 5:35 AM
You can't really build a pool on the second floor in real life Water's heavy! Not to mention the fact that the pool is deep.
Scholar
#6 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 5:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
You can't really build a pool on the second floor in real life Water's heavy! Not to mention the fact that the pool is deep.

People have pools on the roof all the time.

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Test Subject
#7 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 6:13 AM

The Sims does not have real life physics, the weight issue wouldn't matter. The only problem I could see is that the pool is too deep, which I think hypothetically could be solved by doing it the way I described.

Quote:
People have pools on the roof all the time.

And some people put gardens on their roof.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 6:22 AM
Well then, is there a mod? O.o
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 6:34 AM
No need to mod. Given that a pool is deep, it's reasonable to assume there is nothing directly underneath it. Given that assumption, just raise the ground level to the level of the 2nd floor where the pool will be, put a pool in on the raised ground, and build floor tiles around the pool & walls around the raised ground.
Test Subject
#10 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 8:21 AM
I know it doesn't add to the solving method (which TigerM seems to have cracked, at least for me) but I was in a Best Western in Chicago recently, had their pool on the sixth floor. The whole building was kinda creepy cuz it was above a parking garage and most of it was just on stilts.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 6:50 PM
Hahaha! I tried to raise the level but that didnt work. Perhaps theres a way to build foundation on above the first floor? That would help as well.
Test Subject
#12 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 7:29 AM
if you go to http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/Andale you'll find my page, there's a download for a large building labeled "2nd Floor - pool", it has a pool in the second floor.
I did the following
1- flattened terrain
2- raised an area of it just enough so that the foundation would be approximately wall height
3- now create the foundation by clicking the high corner first and coming across that edge to the opposite low corner (hope you guys got that)
4- to check the height simply create a room (do NOT use room tool, make each wall with the single run) then use the room tool on the second floor, you can tell pretty immediately if it has worked
4a- if its too high then the ROOM tool will just fail to build
4b- if its too short the floor will go across the top of the foundation, easiest to see by spinning camera
4c- when it's done right it will auto-even the foundation's top.
5- the foundation will be it's own 'room' as far as putting a floor on goes (ie; shift click over foundation and only the foundation area is covered)
5a- if you shift click floor tiles into the room be sure to remove the ones that will appear inside the foundation's square, they will block people trying to get to your pool
6- use the pool tool to create a pool that is one square from the edge, you need this one square gap between the edge and foundation piece for you stairs down to the pool, it will only be lower than the room by about 3 steps
7- now place your stairs, I chose to do so on each corner, but I guess opposing corners is good too, be sure they don't both face same side of pool tho
8- to place tiles around pool (over grass) click and drag, if you shift click then the game freaks out and lowers them down to where first floor is
9- write a better set of instructions for the next guy :p
Test Subject
#13 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 7:30 AM Last edited by Andale : 2nd Jul 2009 at 7:49 AM. Reason: fixed game, got screenshots
Default screenshots
1st floor

2nd floor

click to enlarge
yes, you can repaint foundation walls which you would see if i didn't have the walls down, should have thought of that, sorry
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#14 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 1:24 PM
This is not modding discussion it's building. Moving to build forum.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 12:16 AM
technically not above second floor. you could raise terrain above seconf floor and then "build" around the heightened terrain. using the cheats you could even add windows into the terrain hmmmm. anothe page save and viola here we go!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 3:56 PM
Default heres a noobs fancy clickaty click.
here is a jumble of some screen shots from doing a fast mess-a-round last night.

i was pressin the "c" button fast. not really sure if this will add or deplete from this discussion.

Test Subject
#17 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 3:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PrincessxShadow
Hi!! Well i'm building a hotel right now, and made the gym/pool second floor. Until i realized i can't make a pool on the second floor! GRRR! I made the layout any everything i dun wanna re-do it all!! Is there a hack or mod i can use to let me do this? Or perhaps someone make one? >_<
Maybe You Can Build A Foundatiion On the Second Floor And Then Make It I'm Gonna Try It As Soon As I Finish Typing This
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 6:08 PM
You can't because the pool -has- to be on the ground. It automatically snaps to it no matter what you do. So you can't have anything underneat the pool. It's just like foundations, the further down you go, the longer the walls on the pool will go.

The way Andale did it is the only way without mods, and as far as I know there are none yet. I think a mod like that would need some serious rewriting of the game, and not just some quick changes of the parameters.
Test Subject
#19 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 7:26 PM
In TS2 there was the possibility to do a swimming pool in the last floor and there are several tutorials about doing in youtube.

The matter is someone could verify as it happens that in TS2 and to create a video tutorial and a MOD to attend the ones that like a swimming pool in the terrace and practices in TS3
Test Subject
#20 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 8:39 AM
it's built differently in TS3 tho. In TS2 it was made of objects. I had a pool in TS2 about 4 floors up that was connected to nothing but a porch on one side. It's not hard to use the basic cheat functions to do anything in TS2, but in TS3 the pool is... well... walls. You find a mod to raise/lower the height of walls then you could probably easily change it to the pool.
It is not an object in TS3 and will not behave as such.

2 other notes:
regarding my build;
It's realistic, if you have a pool the space below is used (even for a shallow little 3 to 8 foot pool).

regarding higher floors;
I managed a third floor version just as easily, but I did not show it because I felt like the lost space (directly under pool for 2 floors) was impractical and unrealistic.
Also, I screwed up while doing it and in the end discovered that I can make a floating house and the TS3 coding has no problem just accepting it I even threw on a stairwell and let people walk up to swim... on the third floor... of a house apparently held in air... by only a stairwell... fun, huh?
Test Subject
#21 Old 3rd Nov 2022 at 5:03 PM

I literally brought this 13 year thread back to life because no one else checked this comment, and the account is probably inactive now, just to say, what are you talking about? Pools are created above ground literally ALL OF THE TIME. Just google "pools on the second floor" etc. Many hotels have pools on the roof, or other floors besides the first floor.

Of course in The Sims 4, you can build pools underground, or on any floor now, and include windows so you can see through the pool like some sort of aquarium.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 21st Nov 2022 at 3:51 AM
I may be senile here, but I am pretty sure I made highrises with pools up high. I think there is one for a swim/dance club I did in my world Xterra? I may have used one of the apartment shells where it allowed it? And as this thread is so old it may have been something we were able to do after this thread was active?

Here is one time a pool was done on a roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwvj9M2M1-c
Instructor
#23 Old 21st Nov 2022 at 5:52 AM
my my my, this thread began like in the first year of The Sims 3. you can actually build swimming pool on any floor since Late Night patch (carried to the base game as well). so can we move on now?

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes