Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 6:08 PM Last edited by coltraz : 12th Jun 2009 at 6:33 PM.
Default Ceilings Hanging in Mid-Air!
Surprise, surprise... Here's my latest building issue. Why I keep trying to make anything is beyond me, considering how frustrated I get.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this ceiling buzz off? It's appearing above the floor tiles on a piece of my house that's been altered with the "constrainfloorelevation" cheat.

The game should really give you a choice of where you want ceilings to show up. One good clue - if the room isn't boxed in by walls, a ceiling probably isn't needed.

(btw, the issue isn't that there's a hole in the ceiling. I just did that to see what removing the tiles beneath it would do. So just pretend that empty square isn't there.)

ETA: Just to avoid making a new post, how the HELL do you get corner tiles? I know you have to click alt+ something else, or CTRL+ something else, but I feel like I've done every command on the keyboard and I can't find the directions anywhere in the lessons.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 8:10 AM
CTrl + F should give you the corner tile option but I still find myself reverting back to the old way of just simply placing a fence diagonally where I want the corner to be and deleting/adding floor there, then remove the fence.

As far as the ceiling issue, I have not seen that in game yet maybe try deleteing the edge fence you have all the way around the bottom there, place floor tiles above, then remove them again.

Hope this helps!
Test Subject
#3 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 3:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
Surprise, surprise... Here's my latest building issue. Why I keep trying to make anything is beyond me, considering how frustrated I get.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this ceiling buzz off? It's appearing above the floor tiles on a piece of my house that's been altered with the "constrainfloorelevation" cheat.

The game should really give you a choice of where you want ceilings to show up. One good clue - if the room isn't boxed in by walls, a ceiling probably isn't needed.

(btw, the issue isn't that there's a hole in the ceiling. I just did that to see what removing the tiles beneath it would do. So just pretend that empty square isn't there.)

ETA: Just to avoid making a new post, how the HELL do you get corner tiles? I know you have to click alt+ something else, or CTRL+ something else, but I feel like I've done every command on the keyboard and I can't find the directions anywhere in the lessons.

Hi,

You're not alone with the ceiling issue. I've got them all hovering above my house at different levels where I used the "constrain" cheat to build. I have had zero luck getting rid of them.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 5:04 PM Last edited by QBUILDERZ : 13th Jun 2009 at 5:05 PM. Reason: spelling
You can't fix it, it will always happen with CFE, and it won't snap back down unless you delete the floor. Placing it back in, again, will result in this issue. I may be wrong, but in every house I used it in so far, it has occurred and I haven't found a way around it yet

and yeah, it is Ctrl+f

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 11:25 PM
Have u got wonky walls as well? If you have, then just use the leveling tool and drag out to cover all the house, use it on all floors and that should sort it out. I havn't had just a floating ceiling before though.......

I like work, it fascinates me.
I could sit & watch it all day!

Simmodders UK
Test Subject
#6 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 6:12 AM
I'm afraid i've getting this problem as well, and leveling all the floors is not working.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:03 PM
I have noticed that if there is an additional CFE'd floor above another area that uses CFE, the hovering will stop on the concealed level. It doesn't do any good, but i will be taking a closer look at this to see if this is a solution or not.

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 6:27 PM
Funny, I'm trying to find out how to turn the ceiling on.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#9 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 4:18 AM
I believe it is always on, just the matter of getting low enough to see it...and I was wrong, it still shows up guys, i can't find a way to fix it :X

Test Subject
#10 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 10:18 PM Last edited by makaylalee1 : 19th Jun 2009 at 6:27 AM.
Haha, I've been having the same issue as well. Took screenshots to ask about it, but guess its not just happening to me. Its so annoying..

Edit - Here's another image, I'd totally worship anyone who could come up with a solution, screenshots are impossible to take with it doing that.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#11 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 5:49 PM
I was coming here to see if there was a solution as well. I have seen some beautiful lots that I know have used the CFE cheat, no floating ceilings in the pics. I want to do some of those things, but that mess floating above has disgust me.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#12 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 6:34 PM
Check this out...

The tool is -extremely- sensitive, so getting a .5 click isn't too hard to achieve by softening the terrain, then by alternating up and down to form ridges, not only would it be barely noticeable, if noticeable at all, but it -might- be a way to fix the ceilings. Granted it isn't very practical, but i guess it could work for the time being.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#13 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 6:55 PM
Great info, will try that out. I am having a hard time with the terrain tool, I often use the soften tool to get the height I want.

Just downloaded a lot that I know used the CFE cheat. The hanging ceiling showed up. The poster must have ignored it, or used angles that it will not show. Or maybe it's a graphics issue. IDK.
Screenshots

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 5:57 AM
Well it's good to know I'm not alone. I have been going crazy trying to fix my stupid ceiling! I thought I had done something wrong. I have built the house and torn it down a few times, trying to get rid of the hanging ceiling.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:18 PM
i havent been able to run across this one yet.
weird, i just delete the roof and draw my own in.
Site Helper
#16 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:26 PM
The ceilings in TS2 were broken when using interesting rooflines, such as a hyperbolic paraboloid, but at least we could turn them off.

Unfortunately, EA decided to remove our ability to turn off ceilings in TS3.

This one may not be fixable without EA's help.

Quote: Originally posted by jokera_us
i havent been able to run across this one yet.
weird, i just delete the roof and draw my own in.
I assume that you aren't creating modern roofs using CFE, since there's no way to just "draw in" a modern partial-height roof. If you're using standard height flat roofs or in-game roofing options, you're not going to see this problem.
Test Subject
#17 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 7:02 PM
I found out if the walls under (sometime is above) the CFE'd tiles are not concealed, say you delete one or two wall-panels especially at the corner junction and the uneven ones (and replace them with similar height fences), then the hanging ceiling is gone.

But the lighting will be problem if the walls are not concealed. No matter how many lights you put in the unconcealed room, it will be dark since EA does not consider it as a room. Therefore, you have to divide your unconcealed room into small rooms to solve the lighting problem. But you have to check back and forth anytime you put a new wall to see if it cause the hanging ceiling.
Test Subject
#18 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 9:21 AM
I am not sure if anyone has confirmed why this is happening, but I'm sure most of you guys probably found out by now...

I often times don't build with CFE cheat but I got around to it and I too have the same issue, however I figured out that the ceiling you see is made by the auto ceiling code in the game. If you build a CFE level, then go above it to make a normal height level with floor tiles on it, the invisible roof is the auto render of the ceiling that your CFE floor WOULD have seen...

So in other words, in a normal height house, if you build a 2nd story, there's going to be ceiling tiles on the first level where floor tiles are on the 2nd. So the floating ceiling is just the ceiling for the CFE level (if it were to be normal height)

Needless to say, unless we totally get rid of ceilings, they're going to stick around each and every time you put a "flat floor tile" above a CFE level...

This is also the reason why CFE levels stay dark, because you basically have a ceiling over it, but that's a whole other issue...
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 10:59 AM
I found out there's another issue today, I have a feedback post telling me when they placed the lot I built using CFE cheat was elevated from the street level, I checked it in game, the entire lot was elevated like it has a foundation (which I didn't use).

So I use the CFE cheat again then flatten lot, most of the objects were flying mid-air and the water level in the pool as well.

I wish EA will make half wall and stages available for us soon like in TS2. It really is annoying having such issues with the CFE cheat. ><
Site Helper
#20 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 10:55 PM
I have found that objects don't just fly in the air; they also end up on different levels than where they were originally placed.

CFE is really broken in TS3.
Test Subject
#21 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 7:28 AM
For objects in mid air, if you hammer the lot then undo it, it should bring them back to level... I did that for sunken lots before, not sure about hanging items...
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 9:34 AM
@Mootilda: CFE is really broken, I totally agreed with that!

@KAuss: I wish I've read your message sooner. This house I built is elevated from the street level. So I checked it in game last night, using CFE flatten the lot, and putting the objects back in place, knocked the swimming pool and undo it. Place the lot on another empty lot, everything seemed fine. No more elevated ground, thought the problem was solved. Wrong.

Feedback saying it's still elevated, so I checked it again in game, try to think what went wrong. Finally I found those tiny little triangle (I guess they're the CFE half wall roof) flying mid air.
I hammered all the walls and such, then undo. I installed the lot then place it in another save file to make sure.

It worked!

I don't know why it happened to this particular lot, I've used the CFE cheat on another houses as well, they seem to be fine. (at least I haven't got any feedback about this issue on another houses).
Test Subject
#23 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 9:05 PM
Those triangles fix themselves if you edit town then go back into build mode...
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KAuss
Those triangles fix themselves if you edit town then go back into build mode...

Thank you so much! Next time if the same thing happen again I'll know what to do! (Though I really don't want it to happen again )
Test Subject
#25 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 1:18 AM
i found that if you don't put a fence like you did on the top lvl but keep the roof tiles there then build another half wall on top of the floor tiles the floating ceiling goes away..like in makaylalee1's post if the roof lvl wasn't on the top of the half wall but on top of the second story the floating ceiling would go away.i know that's not a real fix but if it really bothers you it'll work.I accidentally deleted the house a built like that but i'll show you what i mean with pics when i take some.
Page 1 of 2