Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 3:32 PM
Default placing windows on fences
Hi, I'm trying to place a window on a section of fence using moveobjects but it seems like the window will make a section of the fence seem to disappear like in the pic (it's like that for all windows and fences)

any ideas how to fix this? Thanks
Screenshots
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 12th Jan 2010 at 6:34 PM
If you're using move-objects, you could press ALT to make it movable anywhere, and simply move it a tiny tiny bit to keep it from actually "interacting" with the fence...assuming pressing alt works with windows. It might not, some objects cant be moved anywhere no matter what.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 1:22 AM
hmm that sounds like an idea. thanks I'll give it a try
Alchemist
#4 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 2:25 AM
Why are you trying to do that? Just curious.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 4:46 AM Last edited by llee : 13th Jan 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Trying to make it so that the window looks like it has a base

Edit: Similar to your glass partition but I want it so that I have a continuous length of fence, part of it with windows and part without

Edit: snappingtoslots off doesn't seem to work for windows, only for normal objects
Alchemist
#6 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 11:50 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 13th Jan 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Is it a fence you really want (fence function) or just the look of a continuous wall that has open material on the bottom and glass on the top? I don't think any of the fences have two groups so they can't be used as the clone to make something like what you're talking about.

On the other hand, I think that single-tile full wall mirror might work as a clone...it has repeat placement so it wouldn't need to be selected over and over. Of course, you would need to use a cheat to place it away from a wall & it would still have mirror function which could be a bit of an issue for your vainer sims...lol. And I'm not sure what the object would do when the material was changed from mirror to glass...interesting question.

eta: Ooo...never mind...I see what you actually want is a window and not the wall at all right?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 3:09 PM
What I actually want is to place wall windows on that fence so it looks somewhat like your glass partition (a sheet of glass with a base). But I won't be placing windows on all sections of the fence, just part of it. So yeah, that's why I'm not using any walls since what I want is the fence. To put it into perspective, what I'm trying to do is to make a shower room using those wall windows with that particular fence acting as a sill.

Yeah, I was thinking that a wall window cloned from an object instead of a window would work and a full wall mirror might be the closest thing.
Alchemist
#8 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 10:07 PM
Ok...let me give it a shot and see what comes of turning mirror into glass. I'm going to use the sill you have in that picture and the glass part from the partition I made earlier. I imagine you would also need an object that is just like the wall but without the glass to act as the opening in your shower stall. If the other works I'll make that too.
Alchemist
#9 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 10:58 PM
Interestingly enough that worked with no problem...a sort of first...lol

Is this what you're after? (It needs resized just a tiny touch to take the lines out from between adjacent partitions.)

If so, should the base look exactly like the wall in your picture above or would you rather it be recolorable? Should the height be the same as my previous glass partition, taller, or all the way to the ceiling? Do you want the glass tinted or clear? I don't think recolorable would work...it would throw the glass onto the IMG and that would look very strange in your game.

Oh, and would you rather have it be an object that repeats on placement or an object that you don't need a cheat to place.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 3:28 PM
Haha that's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

Just so you get a better idea, this was what i was trying to do

(You'll notice that in that picture the window doesn't obscure the fence like it does in my first post. If you hover a window over it, the fence will reappear but will disappear again if you leave and enter the lot)

I would definitely prefer it to be placed like an object than as a wall since it would offer more flexibility. Plain clear glass will work, I don't need them to be recolorable.

As for the base, if it were to be the same as the fence I'm using then I'm thinking it would be much easier to just make a sheet of glass without a base (but not a window type) which I could place on a strip of fence using moveobjects. A recolorable base would always be nice but since I'm far from done with what I'm building I don't know if I would ultimately prefer it to look like the fence and whether I could get the same recolor

As for height, it would be nice to have it as tall as the showers in-game. Here's a pic for comparison:

Thanks again for your help! Very much appreciated
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#11 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 5:58 PM
OM, you can use the mesh from the Glass Wall if you want, to make the object. Unless the mirror mesh is more convenient for you ^^.
Alchemist
#12 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 12:30 AM
Ok...I'm not a builder so you'll have to help me out here. I think I understand but let me state what I think you're saying to make sure I'm really getting it...lol.

You want an object that is as tall as the EA shower (no problem there, I can match it exactly) with either no base or a base small enough that if you used moveobjects to put it on top of a wall the base would not show. This object should be made of clear glass and the base doesn't really matter all too much although recolorable is preferable if the thing has a base.

This is all very doable

Thank you for your kind offer HT...you are very sweet
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#13 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 1:31 AM
hmmm, now I'm going to bud in.

May I suggest making it like HT's windows? Thickness wise and without base? Then it can placed anywhere as sort of a fake wall. Oh, and if you could make one as high as showers and one as high wall height. Oh and if you could adjust the OBJD so as not to require the moveobjects cheat. Oh, and if you could...

Ooops! No requests. But glass walls inside house would be very coooool.

/Lunie runs off to reprimand herself for requesting and smilie abuse

So do all windows cause fences to disappear? What about taller fences? If a windows is placed with the moveobjects cheat does the whole fence section disappear?
Field Researcher
#14 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 2:19 AM
HL, you're moderating yourself now. How does one goe about doing that ? Funny

That's interesting… I never noticed it, but then, I never tried placing a window on a fence, so…
It's weird though, because the fence disappearing in the case of the glass wall, would mean that the wall cut-out for the window (here it takes the whole wall) is having an effect on the fence, as it it was a wall. Or maybe I'm mistaken, dunno. That's how I would interpret it at first glance anyway. :p
Alchemist
#15 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 2:24 AM
I'm going to use HT's thickness since everyone seems to prefer it But I'm going to put some kind of base on it that will be slender enough to be hidden in a wall...that way people who don't want to use an EA wall can use it without it looking like some very precariously balanced sheet of glass in their house.

But there's no reason I can't make it without that base also if this is what's wanted...although to my mind it would look strange...I've admitted it already though...I'm not a builder so what do I know about it?...lol.

I was definitely planning on multiple heights...full wall, shower height since that's what was wanted here, and perhaps one that's a little shorter to give a sort of opening verge if you take my meaning.

I don't know how to edit the OBJD...I was going to clone a deco item so as not to have the cheat requirement but then it wouldn't repeat so nicely. Is it possible to have it not be a cheat but still keep the repeat placement?

Tossing out ideas is fine...I have no idea what people using this game want...in Sims 2 I had plenty of time to figure that out before I started meshing for it...not so in this game. Also, in Sims 2 all the basic things that everyone really needs were done by the time I started so I could just make odd kipple to my heart's content...in this game there are gaps to be filled first.

Besides which HL...if you want it I'd rather make it for you than have you wasting your time on such a simple thing. I'd rather have you happy with glass walls made by someone else when you want to play the game and figuring out slots when you want to think of new things to do with meshing for it.

And HT...you're right...moderating oneself is an amusing concept.

edited to clarify first paragraph.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#16 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 2:40 AM
You know what kind of system won't let me give myself a warning? Man I tell ya, I guess I just better be good.

There are three values (maybe six) to change in the OBJD to usually make it not require a cheat to be placed. It is in Hex and requires a Hex editor. There is a post or three by cmomoney on how to do it. I had one table that I also had to change the mimics to that of a rug, but otherwise it seems to work fine by changing those values. It's not overly complicated. I know it used to be able to be done in s3pe, but ASBytes seem to no longer be editable in there. Slots are still in progress.

Edit: Oh and I went in game to play with fences. And yes most of them disappear when a window or door is placed over one with the moveobjects cheat. However, this could prove interesting building with doors if they are usable still.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 2:43 AM Last edited by llee : 15th Jan 2010 at 2:53 AM.
Orange: That's correct . Most important thing is that it would be a buy mode object (like your partition) rather than a build mode window.

Edit: It's fine with me if it has a base which I could hide with fencing. It would just offer more possibilities.

HugeLunatic: Yeah a particular section of fence will disappear if you place a window on it using moveobjects. That's should be the case with any window and fence though I had only tested a couple of them. It should work if the window is a buy mode object rather than a real window.

I was thinking of fake walls too . It would be cool to be able to build walls on the smaller tiles
Alchemist
#18 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 2:53 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 15th Jan 2010 at 2:30 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 3016700, 3016694, 3016692
Lol...call me mittens, orangemittens, or OM...please!...anything but orange.

What do you mean by this, "It would be cool to be able to build walls on the smaller tiles."

And is that accomplished by an object (as opposed to wall) that occupies one full game tile?

I should be able to get this group of objects out by the weekend...the only constraint is time. Once the weekend comes I'll have the time to make the thing a final object instead of a test object. So any other parameters for it should be posted now.

I have no idea what you mean by this, "I know it used to be able to be done in s3pe, but ASBytes seem to no longer be editable in there."

But if I did I would post it to Inge and Peter...this seems like something they might want to know.

I can't hex and, although I wouldn't mind learning, probably most people who know how to have something better to do than teach me...lol. So the glass things are going to end up with whatever I can make work and if anyone wants to take it and edit it that would be fine with me.

S***...I just triple posted...sorry...I was focused on the issue at hand and not on the number of posts. That's another nickel for you HT

Ironically enough edited to add: I really am resistant to all this editing. I'd rather just have multiple posts...I do try though so don't harsh me too much
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 3:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Lol...call me mittens, orangemittens, or OM...please!...anything but orange. :P

Oops!

Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
And is that accomplished by an object (as opposed to wall) that occupies one full game tile?

You know how bookshelves can be placed on sub-tiles (if that's what they're called)? That's kinda what I had in mind. Walls that can rest on the edges of these sub-tiles and cut through the middle of the regular tiles
Alchemist
#20 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 3:10 AM
So you want the object on the edge of the tile?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 3:16 AM
Yeah like normals walls only they can be placed on the edges of sub-tiles as well. Is that possible?
Alchemist
#22 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 3:16 AM
Picture? I'm not sure what you mean by sub-tile.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 3:42 AM
Haha I won't have a picture until later. But what I'm referring to is normally walls/fences can only be built along the solid lines in buy/build mode. Some buy mode objects though can be placed on the smaller tiles with the dotted lines. So I was wondering if it were possible to create a buy mode wall that could be placed along those dotted lines as well as on the solid ones?
Alchemist
#24 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 3:51 AM
Can these buy mode objects also be placed on the solid lines? Which buy mode objects are they?

The object that is made will reflect the properties of the object it is cloned from to a large degree. Is there an object that has both glass and solid parts that has the placement characteristics you're talking about?

Or an object that has two material groups of any kind?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 4:13 AM
Yeah those buy mode objects that can be placed along dotted lines can also be placed on the regular squares. I don't know if a full-wall mirror can be placed on the dotted lines though. If it does though I would think a full-wall mirror is most similar (in shape) to a piece of wall? I can't think off the top of my head right now anything else similar.
Page 1 of 2