Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Aug 2010 at 2:24 AM
Default How do I save a house so I can upload here?
I know this is a dumb question and may have already been asked, but how do I save a house? And how do I save it so I can upload it here?

I built a house that I love, I've saved it to the game library; but is it already saved on my computer so I can put it on a disk or something? I ask because a few days ago, my game went crazy- I turned it on and it was like I had just installed The Sims 3. All of my custom content, my families I've made, and my house were gone. But I restarted my computer, and everything in Sims 3 went back to normal (everything was there, like it was before crash). So like I said, I really would like to know how to save the house to a disk or something so I don't lose and can reinstall it if need be.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 31st Aug 2010 at 11:50 AM
If you have clicked "share" instead of "save a copy to the library" then your house can be found in the "export" folder of your Sims 3 folder in My Document, as a Sims3pack file. If you move that file from the export folder to the download folder, then you can install that home in your Sims 3 game, just like you install a lot downloaded here or from other sites. That's how houses/lots are uploaded as well.

I suppose when you "copy to the library" then the game must've saved it somewhere also, but I don't know where, and it might not be in Sims3pack file format anyway so it's not installable. Best to just share it then copy the file to another place so you'll always have your favorite homes with you.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 5:16 AM
I'll try that. Thank you so much for your help.
Test Subject
#4 Old 1st Apr 2013 at 4:19 PM
well since we're on stupid questions mood, here's another one: if u "share" your lot, will the custom content used in it go along in the sims3pack?
Test Subject
#5 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tearusintwo
well since we're on stupid questions mood, here's another one: if u "share" your lot, will the custom content used in it go along in the sims3pack?

From what I've seen of houses online, I don't think so. You will have to share your custom content sources so people can go and download everything that you see in your game that is along the lines of custom content.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 8:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tearusintwo

That is a complicated question. It depends on where it comes from and what files you have used. Furniture downloaded from sites and used as sims3pack will follow and can be a major pain in the ass when you upload here on MTS or anywhere. If it's EA's sets they should be replaced with other stuff from the downloaders inventory. If it's package files, you don't need to worry. They won't follow, but you have to tell the downloader to download them. All this is explained in the Creator Guidelines under create menu above, or if I'm lucky it just made a link for me.

If you want to upload a house you need to have full control on what is included. To find out what it includes you can use Delphy's Custard, downloaded from the massively long thead in the Create/moddding discussion forum above.
mature minion
retired moderator
#7 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 10:45 AM
generally things installed as sims3packs will attach to your lot as you share it for exporting; files installed as packages will generally not attach to your upload. If you want to see what is and isn't attached you can always use Delphy's CUSTARD tool to check and remove things.