Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 7:22 PM
Well, I live where first-cousin marriage is OK in real life, so yeah, I let them marry.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 7:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyCarey
I had a second cousin couple in my original game. As far as the story was concerned, they met as teenagers. They liked each other, got married, and had ten children.

Did they happen to live in Colorado City? All jokes aside I think I'm most likely going to friend zone them
Mad Poster
#28 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 9:17 PM
I base a lot of my decisions on real life - within reason, of course. I know that there are some people out there who are in relationships with siblings or parents etc, but lets just forget that.

When it comes to siblings in-law, I'm not really sure because I've never really had it happen much. Mary Gavigan and John Burb got married, their eldest children - Lucy (Burb) and Isaiah (Gavigan) had previously been flirting before their marriage, and I didn't mind letting them continue - but then the game mechanics didn't let them anymore. They ended up finding other people anyway. Their younger siblings, Anaise Gavigan and Adam Burb are 2-bolters for each other, but even if the game did allow it, I wouldn't. Unlike Lucy and Isaiah who met as teenagers, Anaise and Adam have been "siblings" for the majority of their lives... it would be weird.

Second cousins is fine. In fact in the richer families such as the Capps, 1st cousins get married (using the hacked wedding arch). Royal Bloodlines and all that. Second cousins, third cousins etc - I don't really mind, I mean if they were to say grow up together it would be different (e.g. child gets removed from family and the only family that can take it in are the second cousins or something) but if not, then I don't really mind.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#29 Old 2nd Jan 2016 at 7:57 PM
@DezzyBoo No, the daughter would be the 1st cousin to the boy.
But their children would be 2nd cousins to each other. And yes, second cousins can marry in the game without using any cheats or mods.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Meet Me In My Next Life
#30 Old 2nd Jan 2016 at 9:19 PM
I will answer this with one word NO ! Why ? I don't want a "Blood Line" of Sims that are deformed "idiots" like this one here >>

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Link Ninja
#31 Old 2nd Jan 2016 at 10:18 PM
There's only one couple I can think of that are into each other and they are 2nd cousins (they share great-great grandparents), but since the game allows them to like each other I am fine with it. The sims world is so so much smaller than ours, after a few generations it's safe to say some of your couples will have shared a similar relative down the line.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Scholar
#32 Old 3rd Jan 2016 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
@DezzyBoo No, the daughter would be the 1st cousin to the boy.
But their children would be 2nd cousins to each other. And yes, second cousins can marry in the game without using any cheats or mods.

Ah, yeah that was confusing for me to figure out lol. But he IS adopted so...I mean...yeah.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Test Subject
#33 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 10:40 PM
Default Half siblings
Quote: Originally posted by siletka
If they're not closely related (grandparents, siblings, parents, childreTn, uncles/aunts), I think it's fine in my game.
two sims of mive have the same father but different mothers and are dating idk whats wrong with my game lol
Mad Poster
#34 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 11:08 PM Last edited by kestrellyn : 19th Aug 2018 at 11:19 PM.
I made a hack specifically to prevent this, lol. I see second cousins and first cousins once removed as family IRL, they should have family interactions only in my game.

Then I go and play Crusader Kings II, where I happily marry first cousins together for the sake of claims, alliances and superior genetics...

You need hacks to marry siblings-in-law anyway, though, since in order to be siblings-in-law one of those sims must already be married to someone else.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 9:42 AM
I find it gross how Chloe and Lola Singles can get married to Curious Brothers despite them being half siblings through the game doesn't give any family ties. It's the same with Nervous and Ophelia.
Scholar
#36 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 12:50 PM
Of it's not a hood with particular rules revealed by Almighty Plumbob and enforced by immediate contact with Godly Volts From The Heaven, it's fine by my.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 4:43 PM
If they're related by blood, even if their common ancestors were alive five generations ago, it's a no from me. I only have one large family throughout my neighborhoods, and I use familyecho to track the birth of every kid in that family. If two Sims in that family are attracted to each other, I keep a close eye on them. If I screw up and fail to pay attention, I use the Sin Blender to make them hate each other so they stop thinking so much about how hot the other is.

I can't stand the thought of my family tree becoming intertwined.
Forum Resident
#38 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 8:53 PM
Now I have a mod and fixed versions of the hood so
1: mine can’t marry each other because family ties
2: i’m Fine with stepsiblings marrying each other though
3: but only if they became stepsibling as late child/or teen.
4: basically.

I build small houses *^*
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 10:15 PM
As someone with a large extended family myself, it's a hard pass from me on incest of any kind. I've got that mod that helps the game recognize family ties between second cousins and in-laws and step-family as well. I've got well over forty cousins of varying ties in real life, as well as a couple of step-siblings, and I can't envision ever even considering being romantically inclined towards any of them. I'm not passing judgment on anyone else. I just know that for me, it's a no. And my game reflects that.

Sims 2 Story|My Tumblr|Donate
See something of mine you like? Just ask, and I'll get you a link to the item you're looking for.
Alchemist
#40 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 11:05 PM
past times playing; just one marriage between relatives. Pascal & Lola.
this time playing; corrected their family tree.
Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 21st Aug 2018 at 3:36 AM
In a word, yep.
Scholar
#42 Old 22nd Aug 2018 at 8:02 AM
In theory, I allow siblings-in-law to marry, provided it makes sense for those families. (I believe some families in my game would object, and I play objections on a per-family basis rather than impose a particular rule either way on all my Sims).

First cousins can marry provided they were not raised as siblings or anything like that.
Alchemist
#43 Old 23rd Aug 2018 at 8:39 PM
I don't see any reason not to have sibling in-laws marry. In a small town, that makes sense to me. I have a couple of twin sisters who are married to men who are first cousins to each other, seems similar to me. The twins have known the cousins since they were kids because they were raised by the cousins' grandfather, but they were only related to him by marriage. I worked this out, more because it was less complicated than because I was bothered by any relationships, though.

I'm not sure about the first-cousins. It depends on how I've played them if they seem as close as siblings or something. Otherwise, I might not even realize they are cousins. I didn't know for many years that Daniel Pleasant and Jennifer Burb were siblings, for instance. I could have hooked up some of their relatives without realizing it.

I do have a household where a lot of kids grew up together and the group has several cross-connections of half-siblings, etc. I guess, I have set it up so that the "blood" relatives aren't going to fall for each other, but that's by controlling gender preferences more than anything else.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 12:48 AM
I play it like real life.
If they grew up very close, regardless of the biological distance, then no, I wouldn't consider them viable partners. They would treat each other too much like immediate family in my eyes. But if the family hadn't kept in too much contact and the sims barely new each other but happened to meet up and fall for each other, then I would allow it. I get the ick factor some may have, so if it bothers you don't do it lol.

I have some 3rd and 4th cousins that are like my own siblings. But I also have some that I've met once or twice years ago and don't even know. If I found myself in the situation your sims have, then yeah the distant relations with no personal connections wouldn't be a hard pass.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 1:57 PM
Its just a game and if the game allows it I allow it.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
#46 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 6:56 PM
In-laws are on a case by case basis. I've had Sims cheat on their spouses with their sibling's spouse, their child's spouse, etc. Very rarely do I have a Sim marry an in-law after their spouse dies, though. I had one Sim who married his son's widow after he died, and that was very weird for everyone, lol.

Second cousins are a no. Third cousins are also a no. I'll allow fourth cousins, but it rarely gets to that point. I can't imagine getting with any of my second or third cousins irl, so I don't let my Sims do it unless there's a really good opportunity for a story or if they're persistent about it.

I'm thinking of going into SimPE and flagging all of the second and third cousins that my Sims have as family so I don't have to continue keeping track of who's related and who's not. That way I don't have to micromanage ACR as much.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 8:21 PM
I have the same attitude as many here- if the game allows it, fine. Go for it. IRL, it's too close for me, but I don't really care if other people do it, either. Especially marrying in-laws- they're not genetically family, anyway. The main reason I don't have a problem with it, though, is that I play a rotational style. If I have too many families, everyone progresses very slowly. One of the main reasons I've decided not to recover my most recent neighborhood is that I had way too many families. Kids were moving out and I was running out of spouses to stick them with. I don't like having too many townies, so I created a few new families. I had about 7 families. I don't play a lot, so it would be about 3 weeks to a month before I completed a rotation. Too long for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow214
I find it gross how Chloe and Lola Singles can get married to Curious Brothers despite them being half siblings through the game doesn't give any family ties. It's the same with Nervous and Ophelia.

Ick, I never noticed that. The original Strangetown's code is a broken mess, though, so I'm not surprised.
Forum Resident
#48 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 12:27 AM
One of my older neighborhoods had families so old and large that EVERYONE could marry someone in the family. That neighborhood got so big that the game stopped registering siblings as siblings, and wouldn't show a family tree, so I could literally have brothers and sisters marry if I wanted to. I don't know if the corruption of family trees happened because at that point, everyone in the neighborhood was related to everyone and the game couldn't handle it, or if there were simply too many sims.
Page 2 of 2