Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jan 2019 at 9:54 PM
Default Maximum Height And Road Grading Tool
I want to have mountains in my world but I'm puzzled what the actual difference is when choosing max height from 100 or 200 or 300. According to the official CAW guide "The shorter the
height the better the performance of your world." So I tried a world with the max height of 100 and it seemed like the mountains got high enough? Does anybody know what is the max height for Bridgeport? I'm planning to place high rises and dive lots in my world and I'd prefer to keep the max height as low as possible if it helps with performance.

Secondly, Now that I have got a really tall mountain and I placed a house on it, how do I get 'realistic' road? I have tried fiddling with the smoothen road and limit road grade tools but I'm only able to get a road that looks weird when sims drive cars on it. Has anybody figured out certain numbers that the road should ascend per tile or something?

I suppose there aren't any handy rules like '4 clicks is a height of a wall' when building houses but in terms of CAW. It is so easy to lose perspective in CAW. I wanted a hill that was max 4 stories high, but it ended up being double of that when entering EGI.

I found Armiel's tutorial about precise terrain elevation in CAW but my lot will be level but it will sit on a hilltop that I want to be 4 stories high in reference to the ground that mostly will be flat too.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Jan 2019 at 11:01 PM
For the max height, think of your world as being inside a cuboid. If your max height is 100, then the cuboid is 100 units high. If it is 300 then it's 300 units high. So the performance will be better for the 100 unit high world as there are fewer units of space for the game to process. Bear in mind though that if you want your seas to support dive lots you'll need to raise the level of the land so that the oceans are deeper. So in that case you might want a higher max height to support the mountain elevations that you want.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 8:54 AM
But what does 100 units mean in practice? How many stories would that be?

I wonder how many units the tallest Bridgeport shell is.

How deep the ocean has to be for dive lots? I guess we don't have any handy ways to make sure it is deep enough but it is trial and error by installing your world and launching the whole game.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 10:39 AM
I don't think being that exact is going to be very practical. Armiel also made a tutorial on how to make a precise level on top and bottom using staircases, but I found out it's useful the first time, the other times it could just as easily make a complete mess of things.

I made an island with a very high mountain in Stranda. I had to triel and error several times before finding the right elevation. The paths still ended up too steep some places.

It was much less steep than I wanted for the cars though. You can see what I ended up on, on my Stranda upload. Just click my name.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MeowMixPls
But what does 100 units mean in practice? How many stories would that be?

That depends upon where you set your water level/ ground level to.

Quote: Originally posted by MeowMixPls
How deep the ocean has to be for dive lots? I guess we don't have any handy ways to make sure it is deep enough but it is trial and error by installing your world and launching the whole game.

There is a recent thread discussing this:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=621297
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 4:24 PM Last edited by MeowMixPls : 3rd Jan 2019 at 4:51 PM.
DonaldinaDuck post in this thread helped me heaps.

Ok, so first I made sure the ocean floor is in its lowest point it can be (painted the heightmap with black) and then used a eucalyptus tree to set up new sea level.
Then I made a hill to the max height which is 100 units. Now the tallest shell is higher than the tallest hill, Is that going to be an issue later on?

Also, I put a lot on top of the hill with the tallest shell on it and play tested it. Camera and sims behaved normally on the top floor but is it going to be a problem later on as the highest point (the top level of the shell) is now over 200 units tall?

Edit// How about the distant terrains? Are they going to act up if the world height limit is set to 100 but the distant terrains mountains are taller?