Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th May 2018 at 11:37 PM
Default Just my safety tips I do In the Sims game
Hello everyone, I kind of mention this somewhat in WCIF, but I figure I could maybe get a broader point of views or answer here, I know we all as players try to keep our game safe.
I do know we should "Not" leave a Sims talking on the phone, and then save and close our game, It cause Off World Loiterer Technically the Sims is there on the lot but can't be seen.

But I often wonder about other things that may or may not harm your Sims game here are a few things I Never Do. And I don't know if not doing these things can recreate any issues.
I have never found it listed as a cause for corruption, but still I am careful and always make sure certain things are "Not" going on when I save and close my game.

1. I Never leave the Sims on the Computer on a chat with someone.
2. I Never leave the Sims TV on with the Sims on the TV talking.
3. I never Close my game with a Sims adult at work
4. I never close my game with Sims children at School.

I am not sure if the things that I listed above would cause any harm, I personally always make sure I don't do these things, or if any of them would cause an Off World or In World situation.
I just feel it's better to be safe than sorry ( even those I do have Pescado Mods that help protect the game. ) What is your opinion ? Please share

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th May 2018 at 12:10 AM
You can leave a sim talking on tv, well at least that's what I think. All that object uses is a clip (which you can also import custom of your own) and not an actual sim.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th May 2018 at 12:13 AM
All of those activities are fine and shouldn't cause a problem. AFAIK

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#4 Old 25th May 2018 at 1:40 AM
I don't know about chatting on the computer, but I'm pretty sure the rest are okay because they don't leave traces of non-resident Sims on the lot.

A Sim at work or school is still recognized by the game as resident on the lot, so the only thing that's messed up if the game resets is the location of the Sim - it will drop them back by the letterbox because it can't handle them in the rabbithole, and the worst that happens is they get scolded for being late for (or missing) work or school. With the telephone, on the other hand, the game doesn't know where to put the non-resident Sim who is simultaneously there and not there, and that's what causes problems.

You could probably test the computer chat. Have one Sim chatting to another on the computer. Then select another resident and click on a reward object. If you get the option to offer lessons to, or request lessons from, the off-world Sim, that Sim is in the same situation as one on the phone and it would not be safe to close with the computer chat in progress. If only household members appear as options, the computer chat scenario does not see the other Sim as being on the lot, so it should be safe.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 25th May 2018 at 1:58 AM
I don't save and exit with a sim on the phone is all, the other things you listed won't help or hurt your game. I'm not bothered too much by sims resetting.

The best piece of safety I can suggest apart from the obvious ones (use the essential mods, backup and use hood checker and don't do VBT's) is always save then exit. Don't save on exit.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th May 2018 at 2:15 AM
I remember years ago a lot of things we did in our game was later found out to be wrong ( like leaving Sims on phone ) I never felt comfortable with leaving them with a chat on the computer.
I know some thing may be cool and not harmful, but I always follow my gut feeling, anyway what on my list above Post #1 is just my own personal caution. Just what I do.

Theorist
#7 Old 25th May 2018 at 4:09 AM
I can understand the thought process behind those worries.
The reason why the phone thing (and by extension possibly the chat thing) is bad is because the phone teleports the Sim you are calling onto the lot in an invisible state. When you safe that gets stuck and can cause problems if the game is reset (through the installation of an expansion, patch or certain mods). However Sims that are currently invisible because they're at "work" "school" or "hiking/running away/etc" always come back because there's clear beginnings and ends to that.
The TV, however doesn't teleport anybody onto the lot, it's not some TV NPC doing the talking, but rather the "talking" is just a sound clip the TV is playing, like the radio, or any other object that makes a sound.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th May 2018 at 5:29 AM
I've saved my game while someone was on the phone. It didn't cause any problems, but for safety's sake always use the hood checker and BO's "No Sim Loaded", which nukes sim references on a lot before you play it.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th May 2018 at 12:39 PM
Saving with a sim on the phone can cause issues with the lot but isn't really a problem because you can delete or reset sims. Sometimes you do have to abandon the lot but this is not game- (or neighbourhood-) breaking either. Anyway, I always save at 6am - usually sims are home and sleeping (therefore not calling invisible sims onto the lot via the phone).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th May 2018 at 12:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I don't save and exit with a sim on the phone is all, the other things you listed won't help or hurt your game. I'm not bothered too much by sims resetting.

The best piece of safety I can suggest apart from the obvious ones (use the essential mods, backup and use hood checker and don't do VBT's) is always save then exit. Don't save on exit.

Why not? I do similar: save, then exit with saving.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 25th May 2018 at 1:20 PM
There is exit where it asks do you want to save because you haven't already or there is save then exit. You always want to do it the second way as it's been known for things to not save properly with the save on exiting method. If you just clicked save then you click exit it should not ask you to save again.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 25th May 2018 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
I remember years ago a lot of things we did in our game was later found out to be wrong ( like leaving Sims on phone ) I never felt comfortable with leaving them with a chat on the computer.
I know some thing may be cool and not harmful, but I always follow my gut feeling, anyway what on my list above Post #1 is just my own personal caution. Just what I do.

At one time I had a mod that showed the person on the phone as a additional icon to the side of the family icons. It was just there to show the person was considered to be on site so I wouldn't exit while they were on the phone. It didn't show an additional person as being there when the sims were just chatting on the computer, so I don't think that's a problem.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#13 Old 25th May 2018 at 3:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Saving with a sim on the phone can cause issues with the lot but isn't really a problem because you can delete or reset sims. Sometimes you do have to abandon the lot but this is not game- (or neighbourhood-) breaking either. Anyway, I always save at 6am - usually sims are home and sleeping (therefore not calling invisible sims onto the lot via the phone).

Isn't it in a lot of cases enough to choose "Say goodbye...Everyone" on a visible visitor to get rid of the invisible one created by the phone?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Scholar
#14 Old 25th May 2018 at 5:34 PM
The reason I originally stopped saving when Sims were on the phone was that it then made it impossible for anyone else to call that household - you'd get a "Sim doesn't have a phone" message. It also sometimes resulted in a string of "You invited me to spend the night, then didn't let me get any sleep. I'm leaving!" messages from an invisible Sim who never did actually leave, and sometimes the only way to stop the message was to move the family out and in again. As Maxon says, not game-breaking, but definitely annoying.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 25th May 2018 at 6:13 PM
Meh, I do whatever I want with my games. For Science!!! and Lulz!!

Alchemist
#16 Old 25th May 2018 at 8:17 PM
television; from my understanding, all channels use video files. also console/computer games.

computer chatting; back when I had just base game, did some testing. as far as I recall, the other character was available.
and from my understanding, similar to phone chatting.

school/work and other off-screen events; it seems ok to save the lot. but not ok to add those sims to other households; or any sim that has anything in their queue list.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 26th May 2018 at 12:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Isn't it in a lot of cases enough to choose "Say goodbye...Everyone" on a visible visitor to get rid of the invisible one created by the phone?

No idea but using the shift off-world loiterers on the batbox will end any and all phone calls.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#18 Old 26th May 2018 at 12:23 AM
@mdsb759 Yes I agree because when the Sims chat on the computer you can sometime see who they are talking to, just like it is on the phone.

Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 26th May 2018 at 8:40 AM
The "Signed off" and "Signed on" messages have their faces on there. And the thought bubbles as well.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 26th May 2018 at 6:31 PM
I almost always enter and leave lots at 6 am, unless someone's in a career with an earlier car pool, in which case I save when I get the "So'n'so carpool in an hour" message. That avoids almost all problems with other sims.

The exception is if it's the only playable household in the neighborhood, so there's no possibility of existing in two places at one time, because there's no other place for sims to be. Then I get careless.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
#21 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 1:02 AM
I've read that it's not good to save the lot when sims are talking on the phone or ghosts are out of their graves.

This one may be a coincidence, but once my sim couldn't get home from work when I saved and quitted the game while he was at work. He was using personal car, not the carpool. Next time I loaded, he just never came home! Eventually I testingcheat resetted him. Not dangerous or game breaking, but ever since I've tried to avoid sims being on work or school while saving. Sometimes the combination of this all makes it hard to find a time to save!

And once when my autosave mod pop-up came on and of course I just clicked save, my uni students were at their finals. For some reason 3 came back but 1 stayed behind. I had to reset him back too, but for some reason his genetics were scrambled! Ever since, I've added that to my avoidance list! (This was recent, so I have proof!)
Mad Poster
#22 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 11:48 AM
There shouldn't be a problem saving the game when ghosts are out haunting. I've done that before and the only effect it seems to have is that when the lot is next loaded, the ghosts are no longer out haunting.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 9:06 PM
If I think that I'm going to be installing a hack, I pull Sims away from interacting with objects before I save. I once saved with some Sims in a custom hot tub and when I reloaded after a reset, the hot tub was unusable and had to be replaced.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 2:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
There shouldn't be a problem saving the game when ghosts are out haunting. I've done that before and the only effect it seems to have is that when the lot is next loaded, the ghosts are no longer out haunting.

Saving with ghosts out can cause their graves to go poof afaik, which in turn leads to lost character data=VBT. But nounlinkondelete might make it safer, I guess.I usually try not to do it if I can help it, just in case.Graves and urns are troublesome enough as it is.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 7:30 PM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 14th Jun 2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: clarify
On lots with graves, I usually save at a little after 6 o'clock, which is when the ghosts should return to their graves. Sometimes it can't be helped though if I have a sim that needs to leave the house after dark for some reason (date, outing, emergency grocery run, etc.).

Without nounlinkondelete, graves can go poof for no apparent reason whatsoever. Years ago, not long after I first got NL, I loaded the Goth mansion and the whole cemetery was gone! So was Olive Specter's. I think one of the most common reasons was using the new NL feature to move graves to community lots - they would frequently get lost "in transit." This is probably why Lyla Grunt was the only ghost that I wasn't able to restore in that game.