Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#11076 Old 8th May 2018 at 1:51 AM
*Activates GMOD Sticky Mode in Sims Medieval while playing Kingball; not sure if this is a bug or if a developer got bored and played Garry's Mod*

Does Sims Medieval count?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#11077 Old 8th May 2018 at 1:52 AM
(I'm a idiot...)
Screenshots
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#11078 Old 8th May 2018 at 8:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I discovered that not all vampires learn rapidly. It might have something to do with the genius and bookworm traits too...
They all should learn at increased rates. But there's a bug in that process: unless you use a mod to correct it the skill gain rate multiplies over the course of a day within a play session, which means that after a few Sim days of playing they might learn a skill quicker than at the beginning of the session. Overwatch and AwesomeMod have fixes for this in place though.
Test Subject
#11079 Old 8th May 2018 at 3:14 PM
I have yet to fully test this, but it appears that if you place a baby mat in front of the TV with a baby on it, and have the parent watch TV while the baby is on the mat, the parent will occasionally look down and watch the baby, wave, smile, etc. I had never noticed this before, and I need to test it without to babies to see if its just part of the animation. I took screenshots and there is a direct line from the eye of the adult sim to the position of the baby on the floor, most definitely angled away from the TV. Like I said, still need to double check, but if this is what the sims are doing, its pretty cute!
Top Secret Researcher
#11080 Old 8th May 2018 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
They all should learn at increased rates. But there's a bug in that process: unless you use a mod to correct it the skill gain rate multiplies over the course of a day within a play session, which means that after a few Sim days of playing they might learn a skill quicker than at the beginning of the session. Overwatch and AwesomeMod have fixes for this in place though.

So, it is a glitch.

I was beginning to suspect I was wrong in thinking it wasn't a glitch (gawd, I sound so confused) but then my vampire picked up a photography book. The book normally only takes you to level 3 in photography skill, but my vampire didn't even finish it before hitting level 10.
You know what this means?
I have to install Overwatch and start a new game.

Quote: Originally posted by nebulosaaaa
I have yet to fully test this, but it appears that if you place a baby mat in front of the TV with a baby on it, and have the parent watch TV while the baby is on the mat, the parent will occasionally look down and watch the baby, wave, smile, etc. I had never noticed this before, and I need to test it without to babies to see if its just part of the animation. I took screenshots and there is a direct line from the eye of the adult sim to the position of the baby on the floor, most definitely angled away from the TV. Like I said, still need to double check, but if this is what the sims are doing, its pretty cute!

Baby Mat? Speak more of this "baby mat". Is it a mod?

Sims are better than us.
Instructor
#11081 Old 8th May 2018 at 8:51 PM

The only baby mat I know of is this one for napping: link. If there's more, I really wanna know too! :D
Test Subject
#11082 Old 9th May 2018 at 1:47 AM

The baby mat comes with the Midnight Hollow world; it's something you'd make with the Toy Machine, but I use buydebug, and its in the "misc" category. I'm almost certain you need Midnight Hollow, or at least the toy machine from the Store. I have a CC one that appears to be for toddlers only, although my sim's still have infants so I'll have to wait to check that out. Here are the screenshots I have so far:

A shot I took when I first noticed:

A closer look at it, you can see the head is angled away and down towards the baby:

She seems to be watching the baby and reacting? This is the same angle as above:

Two shots of her looking at the other baby, but these are harder to tell due to the baby being directly in front of the television:

I just started the game up and I'm going to see what the father does in this situation, and what they do while watching TV alone. These were taken when the father was at work and they had no visitors, just the babies and their mom. I shall report back!
Test Subject
#11083 Old 9th May 2018 at 5:04 PM
So last night I tested it with babies and their dad, and he did not seem to behave the same way. Granted, the baby mats are in different spots (they are objects that go in the inventory so they're good for taking the baby around.

Anyway, here is a screenshot of the last test:

I'm going to do it again with the mats in the original spots. The dad kept his eyes on the TV.

I'm very intrigued by this little detail!
Test Subject
#11084 Old 9th May 2018 at 7:58 PM
Dad has very strange hair.
Forum Resident
#11085 Old 9th May 2018 at 8:31 PM
@nebulosaaaa

My guess would be this behavior is from the game engine that allows Sims to be aware of their surroundings. Of course, all Sims respond differently according to their traits, needs, motives, etc. I think this feature is called 'look at' and applies to anything or any Sim autonomously. This happens a lot if one is paying attention or at least it happens a lot in my game across many different scenarios. You can get a lot of information in order to get to know your Sims this way too. For example:

Vivian decided to take a shower and most of her roommates except one headed to bed. Well, before long Alessandra walked into the bathroom. If I remember correctly, her needs were all in green except for energy. After that, Alessandra didn't react at all and was not embarrassed which tells me she did that on purpose. Vivian was quite upset about it. The 'look at' seems to try to gauge Vivian's reaction. Then she left and went to bed. TS3 AI is intriguing.

There's many opportunities to learn more about your Sims. Like their hidden motives which goes beyond their personality traits. Such as goals they want for themselves, I'll give an example later. Some Sims are secretive and some are straightforward about their motives. For me, this is a part of the reason why TS3 is always refreshing because each gameplay session there is something new to discover. So this is what I discovered while playing TS3 for a while but just delved even deeper for a richer gaming experience.

Sims have their own goals not based on the wish system or what you want for them. I had a Sim who was a NPC babysitter (Jean) and she would secretly do things or manipulate others to do things for her. She was in a relationship with the youngest teen brother (Kanyin) and would use the older brother (Tendai who was in a relationship with Carmen) to try to break up the oldest brother (Chi was in a relationship with Choice) relationship. Because Jean wanted to be with Chi. Chi has the perceptive and genius traits and knew before I did what was going on and would confront Jean to stop trying to ruin his relationship. (Sidenote: Jean knew his girlfriend Choice was flirting with Tendai and wasn't really into Chi.) She complied and that's when she got Tendai involved as to not make her love interest hate her. So much drama was going on between the brothers so I directed the father to ask them all to break up with their girlfriends. Kanyin took it hard as he really was in love with Jean but soon he found out about Jean's true intentions and confronted her about it. She told him the truth and that really hurt him.

But no, that wasn't all. Chi and Jean did eventually become a couple. But it wasn't so easy for Chi for Kanyin's sake because he loves his brother but feels a connection with Jean. And then Tendai admitted to Chi he was in love with Jean which makes sense why he would be so eager to help her. Though, I doubt she told him about how she felt about Chi so it would be easy to manipulate him or maybe he did know and hoped she would have a change of heart. Chi and Jean was already going through relationship issues early on and Jean's go to guy to confide in was Tendai which lead to a lot of sharing feelings and flirting. He tried so hard to get her to leave Chi to be with him but apparently the man she chose to marry was Chi, the man she chose to start a family with was Chi. And Tendai and Kanyin both had to learn to accept that. Their brotherly relationship/bond still isn't right ever since and it's a shame because they all used to be really close before Jean came along. However, Tendai and Kanyin are close. I guess they both have something in common to relate to.

Since Chi and Jean were a couple I asked her to move in so she would be a part of the world permanently. And yeah, that caused a lot of tension with all of them living in the same household.
Test Subject
#11086 Old 9th May 2018 at 10:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by luftspeiler
Dad has very strange hair.

Hahaha it does look weird in this shot, kind of see-through! It's CC hair, in game it looks pretty good most of the time, it's one of those half-undercut styles.
Test Subject
#11087 Old 9th May 2018 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
@nebulosaaaa

My guess would be this behavior is from the game engine that allows Sims to be aware of their surroundings. Of course, all Sims respond differently according to their traits, needs, motives, etc. I think this feature is called 'look at' and applies to anything or any Sim autonomously. This happens a lot if one is paying attention or at least it happens a lot in my game across many different scenarios. You can get a lot of information in order to get to know your Sims this way too. For example:

Vivian decided to take a shower and most of her roommates except one headed to bed. Well, before long Alessandra walked into the bathroom. If I remember correctly, her needs were all in green except for energy. After that, Alessandra didn't react at all and was not embarrassed which tells me she did that on purpose. Vivian was quite upset about it. The 'look at' seems to try to gauge Vivian's reaction. Then she left and went to bed. TS3 AI is intriguing.

There's many opportunities to learn more about your Sims. Like their hidden motives which goes beyond their personality traits. Such as goals they want for themselves, I'll give an example later. Some Sims are secretive and some are straightforward about their motives. For me, this is a part of the reason why TS3 is always refreshing because each gameplay session there is something new to discover. So this is what I discovered while playing TS3 for a while but just delved even deeper for a richer gaming experience.

Sims have their own goals not based on the wish system or what you want for them. I had a Sim who was a NPC babysitter (Jean) and she would secretly do things or manipulate others to do things for her. She was in a relationship with the youngest teen brother (Kanyin) and would use the older brother (Tendai who was in a relationship with Carmen) to try to break up the oldest brother (Chi was in a relationship with Choice) relationship. Because Jean wanted to be with Chi. Chi has the perceptive and genius traits and knew before I did what was going on and would confront Jean to stop trying to ruin his relationship. (Sidenote: Jean knew his girlfriend Choice was flirting with Tendai and wasn't really into Chi.) She complied and that's when she got Tendai involved as to not make her love interest hate her. So much drama was going on between the brothers so I directed the father to ask them all to break up with their girlfriends. Kanyin took it hard as he really was in love with Jean but soon he found out about Jean's true intentions and confronted her about it. She told him the truth and that really hurt him.

But no, that wasn't all. Chi and Jean did eventually become a couple. But it wasn't so easy for Chi for Kanyin's sake because he loves his brother but feels a connection with Jean. And then Tendai admitted to Chi he was in love with Jean which makes sense why he would be so eager to help her. Though, I doubt she told him about how she felt about Chi so it would be easy to manipulate him or maybe he did know and hoped she would have a change of heart. Chi and Jean was already going through relationship issues early on and Jean's go to guy to confide in was Tendai which lead to a lot of sharing feelings and flirting. He tried so hard to get her to leave Chi to be with him but apparently the man she chose to marry was Chi, the man she chose to start a family with was Chi. And Tendai and Kanyin both had to learn to accept that. Their brotherly relationship/bond still isn't right ever since and it's a shame because they all used to be really close before Jean came along. However, Tendai and Kanyin are close. I guess they both have something in common to relate to.

Since Chi and Jean were a couple I asked her to move in so she would be a part of the world permanently. And yeah, that caused a lot of tension with all of them living in the same household.

This is super neat! I never realised TS3 had that system, I'll have to watch them a bit more closely now!
Field Researcher
#11088 Old 10th May 2018 at 4:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
@nebulosaaaa

Wow this was really cool to read. You inspired to play on speed 1 for once Maybe I'm just uncreative but it's amazing to me that you can read sims this way.
Mad Poster
#11089 Old 10th May 2018 at 5:45 AM
Today I discovered that this thread has 11,111 responses to it. Whoops, not anymore. But that looked really cool while it lasted.
Test Subject
#11090 Old 15th May 2018 at 7:56 PM
I have a conclusion to my experiment on how attentive the Sims are with their babies! I finally caught the dad looking at his babies (named Andy and Ollie after the most adorable twins on TV!)

A very cool feature I did not notice in all these years playing TS3!
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#11091 Old 17th May 2018 at 8:42 PM
1st discovery:
While it can be tedious to maintain friendships it is even more difficult to maintain enemies. Friendship decreases by 2 relationship points every night at midnight, but negative relationships "decrease" by 3 points every night, meaning that a full enemy will be again at Stranger level after 33.333333 days if you don't interact with them.
My solution: I call them every night after 0am; that will net you -5 points or send them an insulting text message any time for an additional -3. This works on friends, too, if you're tired of them and don't want to start arguments.

2nd discovery:
If your Sim wears socks for everyday they will keep them for their career outfit. Sort of logical, I guess, but unfortunate for Sims in the lifeguard profession. Saving Sims from drowning in red swimming trunks and lime green socks is just, well, whatever.
Mad Poster
#11092 Old 18th May 2018 at 12:02 AM Last edited by igazor : 18th May 2018 at 12:15 AM.
I suspect there are those in the real world, or whatever we have that passes for it, who would refuse to be saved by someone in red trunks and green socks as described and would ask if they could be left alone with their drowning until the next shift change on the lifeguard station. Not sure which traits such refusals would be driven by.
Top Secret Researcher
#11093 Old 18th May 2018 at 1:53 AM
Insane? Proper? A combination of them?
Mad Poster
#11094 Old 18th May 2018 at 2:37 AM
How about a combo of Brave, Avant Garde (or yes, Proper), and Incredibly Stupid?
Instructor
#11095 Old 21st May 2018 at 7:43 AM
Snowballs go right through ghosts! It even makes a little sound when it happens. It was hard to get a shot, but you can kinda see the snowball in the hedge behind her and the green sparkles where she got hit in the belly.
Top Secret Researcher
#11096 Old 21st May 2018 at 11:13 PM
Today I found out that sims really do die flying around with the Jetpack. Sent a Husband & Wife team to the future, she was a young adult, he was a teen... Mary Ann Summers smacked right into the ground. Never had that happen before. I think if Marty is able to bring her back, she's gonna stick to making coconut cream pies.

Sims are better than us.
Test Subject
#11097 Old 22nd May 2018 at 5:12 AM
Sims have relationships with their CARS!! XD XD I laughed so hard!
Mad Poster
#11098 Old 22nd May 2018 at 5:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mister Simmy
Sims have relationships with their CARS!! XD XD I laughed so hard!

Usually that requires the Vehicle Enthusiast trait. But if you find any of them actually being romantic with their cars, as opposed to in their cars or just being good friends with them, let us know.
Mad Poster
#11099 Old 22nd May 2018 at 6:36 PM
I've had Witch Sims have an relationship with their broom even without the Vehicle Enthusiast trait. (Meaning the broom shows up in their relationship panel as a "Best Friend". I really don't want to see what happens if they consider their broom a "romantic interest".)

Apparently the Grim Reaper is as attracted to swimming pools as other Sims (I was testing out desecrate's weapons system and used it at the public pool in Midnight Hollow. After Reaping the Sim, Grim jumped in the pool.)

At least my Witch child sim likes to stand on her broom while flying somewhere:
Field Researcher
#11100 Old 22nd May 2018 at 11:18 PM
So I made a twin household and put it into that industrial neighborhood. I don't remember exactly which plot I put them on but it was a house for two that cost just enough for them to move in. Well I was going to expand the house when I noticed that apparently the "roof" is a foundation placed directly on the house walls. Something you can't do as a player. So the roof is now uneven... that's annoying.
Page 444 of 490