Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 6:42 AM
Default Is this a banana tree???
It's so weird bananas grow on apple trees. The folks at EA could have done more! Take a look at the Castway banana tree , much better!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 7:50 AM
Normally I don't complain about the game too much, but that is very strange. Even I find it a little annoying.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 2:56 PM
They are just following the precedent they set with potatoes growing on the branches of a bush. :D
Scholar
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 2:56 PM
Horrible excuse for a banana tree.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 3:17 PM
Default replacement time!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 4:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Default replacement time!

I so wish someone would do that to all the vegetables. It would be so much easier to know what you're growing just by looking at them, at least for things like lettuce, watermelons, garlic and onions. And the fruits should be more visible on the trees. Even for apple trees, you can barely see any fruit on them. I think they should have made them more like the TS2 harvestable trees.
Scholar
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 4:19 PM
Let us not forget that lettuce apparently grows on a bush in Simland.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 4:28 PM
It didnt really bother me to much at first, but the more that has been added the more it seems to stand out as a bit 'wrong', definatly needs replacment for many of the worst cases. TBH, I was wondering were the bananna tree was and only realised when my sim started auto-harvesting at the park! Silly me was actually looking for something more bananna-tree-esk!!!
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 4:35 PM
I looked so forward to a banana tree! We have them all over here, growing wild now. I will never use those weird banana trees. How lazy does EA get? I mean, they make palms but can't make a banana tree?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 6:02 PM
It would be nice if someone made a default replacement for it. I would be very happy!
I wonder if they thought it was funny or they are just lazy.
Scholar
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 6:26 PM
Well, we do have to keep in mind that these are speedtrees. The trees weren't created by EA. Plus it might have been over their budget.

http://www.speedtree.com/showcase/

They have some nice coconut trees on that website :D
Field Researcher
#12 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 6:50 PM
Speedtrees? Thats not something ive heard of before.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 6:57 PM
..aka, EA were too cheap to buy a banana tree model, and just reused the one they'd already bought.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 7:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
..aka, EA were too cheap to buy a banana tree model, and just reused the one they'd already bought.

Ah! Now I get it, thanks whiterider And yup, agree with that totally , thats EA for yu'
Instructor
#15 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 8:04 PM
But, they already have a banana tree in the game (it might be called a banana plant), but they could have at least used THAT as the model and it still wouldn't have been any extra meshing...

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Scholar
#16 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 9:23 PM
Considering the number of palm trees they added for SHT you'd think they'd spring for a decent banana tree...cheap asses.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 11:25 PM
Not that I'm defending EA, but I would have thought that a more realistic banana plant would mean new animations. Which they could have done, but there would have been more to it than just changing the model.

The strange banana tree is immersion-breaking, but the potato plant bothers me more. Don't they know that potatoes that have been exposed to sunlight are poisonous?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 12:22 AM
Ah, but they are sim potatoes and sim lettuces... not human plants. Don't you know eggs grow on bushes in simland, and so do burger patties?
Scholar
#19 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 12:40 AM
And let's not forget the cheese to compliment the burger patties!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 1:47 PM
I can't even imagine this game without all of the silliness. And I do love all of the silliness. If everybody got what they wanted in realism, the game would be impossible to play. Every item, animation, and lighting effect takes processor resources that most computers couldn't handle. It's a game, and I'm fine with pretend.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 2:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DaBoogadie
Every item, animation, and lighting effect takes processor resources that most computers couldn't handle. It's a game, and I'm fine with pretend.

Yes, but in this case they only needed to give us a proper banana tree mesh, not new animations or lighting effects. It's nice to be able to visually differentiate the crops otherwise they might as well have created a single tree that grew every type of fruit on it.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Yes, but in this case they only needed to give us a proper banana tree mesh, not new animations or lighting effects. It's nice to be able to visually differentiate the crops otherwise they might as well have created a single tree that grew every type of fruit on it.

Yes, but a banana tree is just one of the things that some folks want in the game to provide more realism. If they please everyone, the game won't run. My personal favorite is that Sims pull there pants down to poop. lol
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#23 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 4:00 PM
In Sims 1, it was easier to think of sims as being 'not human' because the player was always watching from a distance; outside the fourth wall so to speak. But with Sims 2 and 3, you are able to immerse yourself totally in the world, and it's easy to forget that these are sims, not humans (especially with the realistic CC that is available).

I still play sims 1 though, so think of my sims as being a different species in a totally different universe to this. Therefore I love it when things are strange or quirky (like potato bushes and spin-to-change clothes) and get annoyed when things are too human, so you won't find any photorealistic skins in my game. My sims are censor blurred, and I'm happy that way!
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 4:04 PM
I don't find banana's hanging from what looks like an orange tree to be quirky or cute. It is lazy. Banana trees are beautiful and would have added to the landscape. It is pure laziness on EA's part. I really doubt they did this to be cute. I rather wonder if they forgot the banana tree with all their work on Simport.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
I don't find banana's hanging from what looks like an orange tree to be quirky or cute. It is lazy. Banana trees are beautiful and would have added to the landscape. It is pure laziness on EA's part. I really doubt they did this to be cute. I rather wonder if they forgot the banana tree with all their work on Simport.

I don't think they forgot. They just did the same thing they've been doing since basegame. Cheese and turkeys grow on bushes, bananas grow on apple trees.
Page 1 of 4