Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 4:45 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Too many hard wants, any help?
My sims keep rolling hard to accomplish wants, like "have a grandchild" or "go to college" or "have 3 lovers".
Which would be fine if they rolled these once in a while, but the thing is, they keep rolling *only* wants like these, which makes getting aspiration points pretty hard. I don't think fears are effected, beause they have no difficulty losing aspiration points, but when the only income of said aspiration points is by marrying off your children, having them go to college, having public woohoo 3 times, and someone growing up well, it gets a little annoying.
Is there a mod or trick to let me limit these wants? I'm not sure if I put this in the right thread, but any help would be appreciated!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 5:09 PM
While you do want some Help, you are still looking for a mod..
How about asking in the Where Can I Find? forum instead? Not only you might find a mod that pleases you, but you might also find help if there is a solution to your concern that does not requires a mod..

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 6:01 PM
You don't need a mod, just vary your playing style.

Wants reroll every time a sim changes lots, so when you get stuck wants, send them on a walk around the neighborhood. Sooner or later they'll roll a want that they can fulfill on the lot they've come to. Most sims who go to a bowling alley will roll a want to bowl. If they scope a room, they'll often roll wants for the hottest sim in the room, and not just to ask them on a date - talking to, flirting, and entertaining them will often do, and if you're playing a romance or pleasure sim these interactions will give them someone to cultivate for that next public woohoo, too.

Certain scenarios, once launched, have their own want trees. The most reliable of these is the date want tree - a loving couple on a date (even an at-home date) can go from red to platinum in no time. If they get stuck behind an "eat out" want and you don't have the means to take them out to eat, asking: "Do you like what you see?" should scramble the wants panel and as long as the asker has a trait that is a turn-on for the other and the relationship is good, higher-point romantic wants should start rolling. If there's no restaurant on the current lot, changing lots to one that has one will often scramble both wants panels and catapult them onto the next branch of the want tree without having to actually eat. (Remember, when doing this with teens, that changing lots after about 7:30 will cause the inactive teen to wander off without completing the date.)

Parties will also work, with the caveat that if a sim hasn't rolled a want to throw a party, they may need to fulfill a want in order to access the party tree, so this dodge is mosteffective when they have at least one easily-filled want, such as "talk about hobby," in their panel. Fulfill that want, and you should start getting things like "influence someone to talk to another sim," "hang out," "Dance with," etc., which if followed will not only start filling up the aspiration bar, but will make the party go better and allow the fulfillment of the nearly-inevitable "have a great party" want.

Many people find the hobby wants annoying, but if you have Free Time and a sim in an untenable life situation that makes filling their main aspiration wants difficult, getting them focused on a hobby will distract them from their misery and give you a reliable source of low-level fillable wants. A sim who paints a lot will start rolling wants for other arts and crafts pursuits, such as sewing and pottery, and will also get a hobby lot card so you don't even have to buy the objects they want to use.

Don't forget to lock wants that you wish to fulfill, so the lot-change reroll doesn't take the one you want away.

If you have Apartment Life, it may be worthwhile to have sims study Lifelong Happiness, which retards the rate of aspiration decay, so that the platinum aspiration gained on the date when the sim got pregnant can easily carry them through the pregnancy, and the aspiration gain from filling a "have baby" want can see them through a few diaper changes and interrupted sleep, and so on.

If you are a rotation player, you may also find that shortening your rotations cures stuck want syndrome. Since lot changes reroll the wants, including visits to community lots in the background of other sims' trips and visits to other sims' houses, and since wants satisfied during those times are just as good for the aspiration as wants satisfied when the sim is active, a playstyle of short rotations, frequent community lot visits, and maintaining relationships through visiting, partying, outings, and dates may not only eliminate Stuck Want Syndrome, but increase the overall aspiration levels of your sims. Inactive sims with wants to earn badges or make money can fill them in the backgrounds of other people's lot visits, so going to community lots where badge-building and moneymaking can occur, such as a fishing hole or an owned business, is a public service, good for the entire neighborhood.

If worst comes to worst, you can always turn on the testingcheats and click on a want to cause it to behave as if filled. But be warned that the training mechanism increases the likelihood of a want being rolled again if it's fulfilled a lot! So if you adopt this approach, vary the wants you fill in this way, so you don't increase your problem and render use of this method a constant necessity rather than an emergency fix.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
My sims keep rolling hard to accomplish wants, like "have a grandchild" or "go to college" or "have 3 lovers".
Which would be fine if they rolled these once in a while, but the thing is, they keep rolling *only* wants like these, which makes getting aspiration points pretty hard. I don't think fears are effected, beause they have no difficulty losing aspiration points, but when the only income of said aspiration points is by marrying off your children, having them go to college, having public woohoo 3 times, and someone growing up well, it gets a little annoying.
Is there a mod or trick to let me limit these wants? I'm not sure if I put this in the right thread, but any help would be appreciated!

If you want to fill wants for the points then just go on dates and you will fill them up fast.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 6:55 PM
Oooh, thanks for the help! I think this might work, and I think I'll just leave this in help in case someone else has the same problem as me. Thanks!
Helptato
#6 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 7:25 PM
If you feel like cheating, the Sim Blender I think has a command to reroll a Sim's wants.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:45 AM
Take your sims on a date.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 1:45 PM
Okay, new problem:
I had a sim go on a date, and her wants changed to the typical date wants, talk, entertain, etc. Then after some wants were fufilled, things like "Child becomes an overachiever" started showing up again. I took her to a different lot to re-cycle them, but it only played the cycling animation, and then I got the same wants. Did this a few more times, went home (nothing happened, the same ones kept appearing), and used the sim blender to re-roll them again, only to have the same ones rolled again. Then, I decided to take out some mods, but that didn't help. Then I disabled custom content, booted up the game again, checked to see if they were removed (they were), and went to a community lot to re-roll the wants. Still rolled the same wants. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or do I have to reset my game again?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 1:51 PM
No, she is being a sim, that's vanilla game behaviour. She rolls those because those are what she wants most and while her date rolled them away for awhile she probably doesn't have enough chemistry with the date to override those stronger wants. So long as the date gets her in a good mood do her other wants matter? You might need to tweak her chemistry to her date if the date wants are disappearing before she is in a platinum mood. The date is merely to get your sim in a good mood, not permanently take those wants away, you can't, not unless you want to set them as being filled in simpe.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#10 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 4:45 PM
For the date, if your sim is attracted enough to their date, try choosing 'Check Sim Out' under the 'Flirt' command when clicking the date. This tends to reroll wants (it's essential the same as what happens to the date when you ask them 'Do you like what you see?' but in this case, it happens to your sim). If that doesn't work, do a few very romantic things, like kissing, flirting and hugging (Squeeze or Romantic of course) and try again. Your sim has to learn to want to do things with their date. Pleasure Sims tend to be distracted very easily during dates in my experience, but even they can be put on the right track.

Otherwise, depending on what mods you use it's possible that your sims rolls difficult to achieve wants because they are miserable, a little bit like how some people in real life fantasize about being swept of their feet by someone hot if they're in a bad relationship or becoming rich and famous if they're in a terrible job. When my Romance sims have low aspiration, they tend to roll wants for a lot of lovers, my Knowledge sims want to be resurrected from the dead (I use a mod by Pescado that only allows that want when they are in low aspiration, incidentally) and Wealth sims want to buy really expensive stuff. Dates fix that pretty easily, because it gets them in a better mood.

Sadly, outings do not trigger an event tree as easily as dates do, except for Popularity sims and maybe Family. I have the hardest time to get sims to actually want to do things together in an Outing.
Also, maybe your sims just haven't tried a lot of things. Penig gave excellent advice, but you don't have to wander all over Downtown if your sims has some money and room. Buy them something fun that has related wants, like a hot tub, chess table, mahjong table, bird cage (with bird), axe throwing station or whatever and let your sim interact with it. Sometimes they have to 'learn' that those things are an option to have wants about, sometimes they do it automatically (as Penig described) but in any case as they have more to do they will have more diverse wants. If your sim is poor or has no space, then you can have them wander about Downtown or the neighbourhood, maybe even rebuild a community lot so it contains stuff from later EPs en SPs. I know I don't need three different bowling alleys in one town!

Some wants sims get because something is bound to happen soon, like a child growing up well or someone going to college and those do tend to stick around but you should be able to get a reasonable want in there somewhere. It takes a while to learn how the sims tick - why they roll certain wants and how you can change that or how you achieve them easily, but good luck!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 10:10 PM
Gaining a skill point and making friends with another Sim can also trigger different wants, although you might have to manually re-roll them with a modded tool (with debug mode on, at least, you can also shift-click on the aspiration icon and they'll reroll).

In the worst case, and you likely don't want to do this, if you fulfill enough fears to send them into red aspiration, it often triggers the wants to reroll to 'easy' ones such as 'talk' or 'play.'

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives