Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 12:20 PM
Default How Much Children Does Your Average Sim Have?
for me it'd be about 5 as the only sims i have who are childless are mainly CAS sims for prosperity challenges or children who died.

every aspiration has a chance of having a child in my game,if a romance sim wants to woohoo with 20 different sims they'll have a ton of babies a family sim will always get their 10 kids want fulfilled etc.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 12:35 PM
I let them have as many as they want. And sometimes, they aren't the ones who want them.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Theorist
#3 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 12:54 PM
Most families have 1-3. I love having children, but I try to avoid having too many households , but every now and then I'll allow a family to have 4-6 children, just for the fun of it. It's very rare that a Sim has no children whatsoever and mostly happens if a Sim dies before having had the chance to sire/birth any.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 12:59 PM
4. Which means 2 sets of twins, generally speaking
Forum Resident
#5 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 1:04 PM
I would say that the average number of children in my game per couple would be 3( with 2 right on it's heels). I only one couple with 5 children; this couple also has 2 sets of fraternal twins. I let my Sims tell me if they want children and when they are done having children. Most roll the fear of having babies at 3, while there are some of those insane family Sims who occasionally roll a want for 10 children. Eventually they come their senses on their own. Just in case I make sure birth control is on. I've also discovered that some Sims are perfectly fine without having children.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 1:04 PM
2 and 2 only. Didn't we just discuss this?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 1:07 PM
Well you personally already answered this, but that other thread was about nestless heirs..sims..and I didn't get it. lol

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Helptato
#8 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 1:28 PM
2 or 3, depending.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Forum Resident
#9 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 2:35 PM
I try to keep it at 2 but there's always some sort of joy with teasing the youngest sibling
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 2:53 PM
Fun question! At first i was going to just estimate, but then the more I thought about it the more I realized I have no idea what the average is. I would have guessed an average of around 1,5 child per household. Not all households have children, those that do usually have 1 or 2, and a few odd ones out have more than that. But how much do those odd ones out affect things? Turns out my estimating powers are not far off!

I only counted households with adults, as in my mind YAs do not count yet. In my hood I have 23 households I play and care about, and 5 that are there to own businesses but really function more like townies. If I only include the 23 that I actually play, the average number of children is 1,17. But if I include the pregnancies that are currently under way, or that I know will happen in a near future, it's 1,52. If I include the five that aren't played, numbers drop to 1,02 and 1,26 respectively. So yeah, average 1-2 children per households.

Guess I need to stop whining to myself that there's too many babies. Feels like every household I play there are babies and toddlers, but the math does not lie

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Theorist
#11 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 3:06 PM
The average is typically only 1...unless TwoJeff's Triplets/Quads (random version) mod surprises me, or they have twins. Whatever the number, couples are pretty much done after having more than 1 child. Most households have some sort of fur family member (pet) to offset not having a bunch of children.

I am not a kid person in real life, but actually really enjoy the little sim pixels...within reason. So, none of my sims are ever going to have a boatload of children.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#12 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 3:30 PM
How many children does my average Sim have?

That's not an easy question to answer. I think it may be something like 0.1! Lots of my Sims don't have children, but then, lots of them are still teens, or indeed still children themselves, and, because of my very slow playstyle, they take a very long time to age up. Maybe they'll have children of their own one day, but for the moment they're just enjoying life.

To be honest I sometimes find Family Sims quite difficult to relate to and to understand. It's not just the "have 10 babies" wants (though my first reaction when Jenny McBain expressed that want after giving birth to twins (her 3rd and 4th children) after a difficult pregnancy where she received massive support from me, her family, and indeed the wider community, was to say to her, "In your dreams!). It's more the attempts to control the lives of their children and grandchildren by planning their lives for them, even when they're adults: Go to university, get a good degree, get a good job (say, medicine!), get married to a nice girl/boy that we approve of, have children so we have lots of grandchildren. Can they not set their children free to live their own lives? I've been on the receiving end of too many well-intentioned but nonetheless interfering plans of that sort to feel much sympathy for the parents.

In practice I tend to find my own Family Sims a bit easier to play than I might expect. Julian's parents Martin and Manuela get lots of romantic wants for each other, which are quite easy to fulfil. But I do find LTWs like "Marry off X children" or "Get X children through college" manipulative, and I try to avoid them.

Sorry to give such a complicated answer to a simple question, but my own aspiration is definitely not Family. I've never had any wish to bring children of my own into the world. In fact sometimes I think that our world is so broken, that it could be wrong to bring children into it. I believe in loving and cherishing children once they are here, but the wish to create more completely evades me. My sister on the other hand has had 7 children (of whom one died in infancy). So I just say she's had my quota for me. Any procreative instincts that I do have are more than satisfied by occasionally allowing my Sims to produce children. I have surprised myself just how emotionally involved I can become then. When my first Sim babies were born (the McBain twins) I got carried away sharing the excitement with my Sims, and found myself almost crying for joy at the miracle of new life. I was far more emotional than I had ever been over any real life birth, possibly because I was far more intimately involved in the process.

The birth of a baby Sim is a special moment to be cherished. In my game it will continue to stay special by its rarity. I probably have witnessed fewer Sim births than anyone else here. Across all my 'hoods, I think there have only been 4 Sims born live in my game since I started playing in November 2012! So, yes. The average number of children per Sim in my game will I'm sure be very low.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 4:58 PM
Andrew I had to check that you aren't me!

My sims, by and large, have 2-3, however many choose to not have kids at all. I've got ACR turned on, so sometimes I get surprises as well. For those sims that it doesn't make sense in my headcanon that they'd want kids (Georgia Newson, Nina Caliente) I turn on birth control immediately when they become teens or immediate when I start playing them.

Granted, I also random roll my sexual orientations as well, at 30% gay/bi 70% straight. I do end up with straight sims wanting no kids, and gay/bi sims who want a ton!

I'd say my average is closer to 2, to account for those few rabbit families.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 5:02 PM
With the exception of a few outliers (the Brokes, Tinkers, Ottomai, Don Lothario's brood, and the Dreamer-Greenmans), the vast majority of my households have between 0 and 2 children. None of my gay couples have ever thrown a want for a child, so none of them have any (although they are stellar aunts, uncles, and cherished friends). I have a few straight, childless couples, as well as a couple of elderly couples who adopted later in life. I play according to wants (and level of responsibility, with ACR installed), so none of this is planned. Once a couple gets together, it's up to them to decide whether to plan on a child or to conceive by accident, or to not have kids at all. Personally, I like choices, so multiple kids per family ensures that my next generation of kids will have lots of playable potential mates to choose from, but if that doesn't happen, it's fine. I like the intimacy and the amount of detail I can glean from childless and one-child families. I always feel like I know those sims better.

Sims 2 Story|My Tumblr|Donate
See something of mine you like? Just ask, and I'll get you a link to the item you're looking for.
Scholar
#15 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 6:11 PM
Well I love making Sim babies since I'll never do it in RL. Health problems and getting older, plus like @AndrewGloria I don't think the world NEEDS more children when there are so many that need good homes...maybe someday I'll foster kids.

But Sim families I wanna always see what the genetics give me. On average I have 2 to 3 kids unless the aspirations want more.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Forum Resident
#16 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 6:12 PM
I'd say probably about 3 for me. I love seeing how the genetics play out. I have every sim have at least 1 kid, even if they themselves don't keep it to take care of it. After 1, I leave it up to their wants if they have more.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 6:16 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th Feb 2018 at 7:41 PM.
Usually 2-4, but my sims have been known to have plenty more. A few of my earlier families had over 10 kids...

My usual test lot currently has 10 babies (but 8 adults, and maxmotives regularly).
Instructor
#18 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 6:24 PM
Thanks to TwoJeff's Triplets/Quads mod, my Sims have at least 4-5 kids on average. I don't mind it for my current hood, as we need more Sims for economical growth.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Field Researcher
#19 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 7:18 PM
Depends on what my Triplets and Quads hack gives me when I hit Random most of the time. The average in a family is still two children, although I have to deal with surprise twins, triplets, and quads.

All's fair in love, war, and video games! ~LyokoGirl5000
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 9:41 PM
i might start to make my sims have less children,the rate that my sims have kids mean that towns get overpopulated quick.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 9:45 PM
Most have around 2-3, although I'll usually let them have however many they roll wants for. I do space them out though. No new babies until the last has aged up to child. Babies and toddlers are adorable in moderation, but a houseful is a little intense for my taste--I play this game to relax and have fun, after all!
Mad Poster
#22 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 9:55 PM Last edited by Rosawyn : 11th Feb 2018 at 10:19 PM.
My sim couples have between 1 and 4 children, driven by the wants of those individual sims. I've been meaning to figure out how to edit LTWs so I can change "Marry Off 6 Children" to "Marry Off 4 Children" and actually make it a usable option in my game.
Instructor
#23 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 10:01 PM
Usually 2 or 3, never 1 unless I have them get pregnant when they're close to age. I use to have my couples have kids right away, but my gameplay has been changing so much over the years that now I rather have them focus more on their jobs/the house and then raise the kids. Moreover, I literally hate taking care of infants/toddlers, so sometimes I wait until they can afford a butler.

Also, since I play with the premades and their descendants, I make them have babies to pair them up when the grow. Unfortunately, my game loves me so much that in more than one occasion gave me twins when I wanted just one more kid... I love to keep a good balance of Sims for generations and I'm a control freak, so I like to have in mind all possible matches (although most of the times I end up matching them with somebody else).

Since in the second generation of my Pleasantview (I consider the first one all the adults that ship with the neighborhood when first played) got a bit to big, with about 8 couples to manage, I think I will have them have just one kid to make the rotaion-gameplay easy. Ah, of course, as I mentioned before, in the generation 3 I already got a couplet, just because I didn't have enough Sims
Mad Poster
#24 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 10:29 PM
I let my sims decide for themselves how many children they want. Most have around 1-3, with some outliers - The Hart family are quickly making their way to 10 (including 3 sets of twins), The Broke/Dreamer clan is at 10 (1 set of triplets) and Armando DeBateau has 12 (including 1 set of quads a set of triplets) with 3 different women. I also have a teen romance sim in my game who is 8 days to becoming an adult and already has 4 toddlers (although that does include a set of triplets) so I imagine he's going to have quite a few more during his adult and maybe even elder stages.

All my sims have children, but because of that rule a lot of sims end up on birth control if I can't trust them to stop on their own because I worry I'll end up with too many households. Rotations already take me months to complete.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 10:42 PM
Two is average but some only have 1 and others occasionally 3 or more. I have risky woohoo. My romance sim just had oopsy twins which she immediately put up for adoption. They are in the orphanage. Another sim had an oopsy number 4 and since her other 3 are grown she secretly left and also gave this one up for adoption. Then my orphanage couple had the twin boys and triplet boys so they now have 5 of there own as well as those other 3. I may need to hire a worker since 3 new borns, 2 older toddlers and 3 younger toddlers is even too much for me at once. It's multiple central over there.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 3