Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2014 at 10:43 PM
Default Hex v.s GUID
I was wondering if HEX numbers are like GUIDS?
Could I create a 8 digit long number and always use that same one?
Or do I need to make a new one everytime I'll create a new accessory...

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=296349

Thanks.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2014 at 1:17 AM
Apparently, yes, they are. I have used the same HEX for 2 different accessory packages, and haven't encounter any problems.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 11:43 AM
There's nothing special about GUIDs; any hex number which is the right number of digits can be used as a GUID. GUIDs aren't used very often in Bodyshop; for objects they do need to be unique, but if that's not the case for accessories, then that's excellent.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 3:43 PM
"As you are aware, a sim can only wear one pair of glasses at a time. When you clone glasses to make a new accessory, it will behave in the same way. This obviously isn't necessary if the accessory is, say, earrings - at that point you'd like your sim to be able to wear earrings *and* glasses, for instance.

The key is the the bin number in the Mesh Overlay XML.

Glasses use 0x0000000F

That's 0x (for Hex) followed by 8 digits.

Some of the other Maxis makeup uses other low numbers, but you can use any larger HEX number - you should try to make it unique to avoid conflicts with other accessory makers, although if you happen to have say, a 'hat' or 'earrings' made by other person in your game, you might code yours to use the same code - so that the game will automatically do the right thing."

Reading this me got a bit confused..this is why I posted/asked on here.
I am still a bit confused, but glad to see (so far) that I'll be able to use that same 8 digits number as my.."personal signature" for each accessory I'll create.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 6:55 PM
If I'm understanding all this correctly, if you use the same 8-digit number for your accessories, it means that you'll only be able to use one of your accessories at a time. Like if you make, say, a pair of earrings and a wristwatch, and you give both of them the same 8-digit number, then your Sim can't wear both at the same time; they'll have to choose one or the other.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 7:06 PM
Oh..then I'll have to re check.
I made an accessory vest (cardigan you'd say?), that my child can wear with glasses. Of course, I did not make the glasses. Editing the bin number of my vest, cloned from the glasses, only made it different from the glasses, therefore wearable at the same time. If I understand what you understand
I also made a pacifier for my toddlers, using the same HEX..and saw no problems..but of course, the accessory isn't wore by the same age, and so..I won't see any problems using the same HEX number.
But, if I make another accessory for a male child, and would use the same HEX number..then i could only chose the vest, or that other accessory, is what you meant?

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 7:46 PM
Yes, that's correct.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.