Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Feb 2013 at 6:14 AM Last edited by lenglel : 7th Feb 2013 at 9:14 AM. Reason: add attachment
Default How do I light this 500 radius hemisphere from inside?
I've grown weary of the depressing gray background in the 3dview window, and wanted a sky I could see in edit mode, not just the render window. So, I made a sphere and deleted the lower half of it. Made a UV map, and did a google image search to find a hemispherical projection to plop on it. This looked really good (see attached). But, then I scaled it up by 500x and now it's all dark inside. So, I added a spot light. Changed the distance to 500, so it'd actually reach the dome. Changed the size to 180 degrees, hoping to light up the whole of the dome. When that didn't work I boosted the energy to 5... million. It lit up more of the ceiling, but the horizons are just as dark as ever. Does anyone have any good ideas of how I can make this thing look more like a sunny day, and less like the blackout at the superbowl?

While I'm waiting for a reply, I think I'll back up the un-scaled version and play with it until something squirts me in the eye.
Screenshots
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Feb 2013 at 3:15 PM
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Feb 2013 at 9:14 AM
Well, there is now, fwiw.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 11:19 AM
Not that I know how to do it, I'm still learning; just thought you should know it (the attachment) wasn't there.
All the Blender tutorials on Lighting and Rendering and Compositing nice looking scenes use multiple lamps of various types, colors and intensity. Anyways, good luck!
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#5 Old 8th Feb 2013 at 12:27 PM
Using a Hemi light should light up everything nice and even. Another option would be to make the material shadeless, then it won't depend on lighting.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Feb 2013 at 9:14 AM
Thanks, CMO, you've come through for me once again! But now I've run into another problem, when I view my scene from inside the dome.
If I'm viewing from below the horizon it works like I'd expect it to if I were above the horizon. If I move above the horizon, everything on the
grid is instantly obscured by a fog the colored by the part of the dome I'm facing. I think this is what's called a z sorting issue. I have no
clue how to fix it, but that won't stop me from trying.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#7 Old 10th Feb 2013 at 4:41 AM
To be 'inside the sphere' you have to be in perspective view.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Feb 2013 at 8:38 AM
D'oh!