Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#51 Old 20th May 2006 at 4:11 AM
Anyway, I just tried what you suggested and it didn't work. I still can't make my downloads folder non-Read Only, and even if I create an entirely new folder in my Sims folder it automatically sets it to Read Only. I give up--I'll try the SimPE method instead.
Advertisement
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#52 Old 20th May 2006 at 5:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jupitersunrise
Actually, that wasn't said once in this whole thread.
Maybe not this thread, but this forum and site.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Field Researcher
#53 Old 21st May 2006 at 12:55 AM
jupiter, i'm sorry, i just really don't know what to tell you. I know that I run all the games except family fun and I can open my HCP just fine. Maybe you have something else that is causing the problems. Try just moving your downloads folder out all together and then attempting to run HCP and see if it runs and exports and what not. If it still does not work then maybe you should reinstall HCP and try again. Have you done a whole lot of altering of your core game files? That could be an issue. I do hope that my advice does help you, if it does not, i'm very sorry. When I had the issues that you are experiencing, I removed the frosted transparent floor tile and it worked just fine. It takes it some time to show up on my desktop due to the amount of walls, floors & ground cover in my folder, but it always starts up and I don't have any problems opening templates and exporting into the game. I suggest removing your entire downloads folder from the directory then trying to run HCP, you could possibly have another wall, floor or ground cover that is causing the problem. Please post back your findings if you do try my suggestion. I hope that it works.

p.s. if HCP does not run with an empty downloads folder, then most likely you will need to reinstall HCP, TS2 and any EP you have. After you remove your downloads folder and before you start up HCP, try restarting your computer.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#54 Old 21st May 2006 at 3:47 AM
THe problem is the readonly bit, which Windows ignores, but Maxis doesn't. HCP finds it can't create a new file in the downloads folder and it assumes that the harddrive is full.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Test Subject
#55 Old 30th May 2006 at 1:03 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you all.
Part-time Hermit
#56 Old 2nd Jun 2006 at 2:18 PM
Apparently the Homecrafter has been updated and should now be compatible with all expansions and "stuff packs". Get it at the official site.
Test Subject
#57 Old 6th Jun 2006 at 8:14 PM
I don't know if this will help anyone, but I have been having the same problems (no hard disk space error). I tried everything that was suggested here with no luck. Finally I tried using the owner account for my computer, I was using my user account and not the owner account for the computer. When I first tried opening Homecrafter and saving, it still didn't save so I closed it. Then I reopened it and tried saving again, this time I noticed that the file it was extracting was from the owner account and not my user account. Point being it worked and saved. So if you are using a seprate account from the owner account on your computer, try using the owner account and working with Homecrafter there. If it doesn't work the first time, try again. Hopefully this all makes sense and was able to help some of you!
Test Subject
#58 Old 16th Jul 2006 at 8:28 PM
Default Domo Arigato! (Thank you VERY Much!)
Thank you soo much about that work around. This problem just started today with homecrafter.And I came here knowing that you guys share your tips when problems arise. Thanks! *quacks* *blows kisses* to who gave the run as tip
Test Subject
#59 Old 17th Jul 2006 at 3:44 PM
Okay everybody I got a sure solution for you save all of your bmp files in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Projects\HomeCrafter Plus\

depending on what you are making save it in the folder that it needs to be.
EX: Floors, walls ,ground textures.
And also when you start the program you still have to open the program by right-clicking and selecting run as..
Test Subject
#60 Old 11th Aug 2006 at 8:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RealHogsFan
I just wanted to post my results of the Homecrafter Issue with Night Life.

I just started up Homecrafter. I have TS2, Uni, NL & the Holiday Pack. I started up my HCP and when it hadn't started after a couple of mins, I brought up my Windows Task Manager to see if it was running. Sure enough it was there. so I walked away from my computer and did something else for about 15 mins. when I came back HCP was up and ready for me to create a wall, floor or ground cover. so i think the solution to everyones problem is to first make sure not to have RGiles "Frost-covered partically transparent tile" in your downloads folder. He does mention in his post that it will cause problems in HCP. As quoted by RGiles: You know it could be causing problems with it starting up, who knows? but I did remember to remove it before i started HCP and mine started up just fine. I just wanted to point that out just in case. So try this solution out first: Remove RG's frosted tile floor (just for saftey measures), then start up HCP, wait a min or two and check Task Manager to make sure it's running, then walk away for about 15 or some mins (depending on how many floors, walls & ground cover files you have in your downloads folder) and do something else. come back and see if HCP is running and waiting for you to play with.

this is just a suggestion. Hope that it does solve alot of the HCP not starting up problems. Maybe all it needs is a little bit of patience from it's human.

p.s. i am running an administrator enabled windows xp desktop.

pss - as far as i can tell, HCP will not start up the program until after it has scanned your downloads folder for walls, floors, & ground cover, then it will show the program on the desktop and proceed as usual. It's just that the more files you have for it to open, the longer it is going to take to open.

I am going to first use Sims2Pack Clean Installer to make sure that all of my Walls, Floors, & Ground Cover files are sorted out into seperate folders, then I will talley up how many total I have, then I will time how long it takes for my HCP to start up and become ready for my pleasure. I'll post back my results, hopefully it will help in getting to the bottom of this issue.

EDIT: TEST RESULTS
I have 309 Floors, 95 Terrain Paints, & 1,229 Walls all totalled to 1,633 files.
HCP showed up in my Windows Task Manager immediately after I clicked on my startup link.
HCP Program Interface showed up in 4 minutes and 50 seconds after I clicked on my startup link.
HCP was fully usable in 5 minutes and 42 seconds after I clicked on my startup link.

I do hope that this helps everyone out in figuring out their problems with HCP starting up after installing NL.

I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for your input regarding those tiles. All it took was removing them, and I have not had a problem since. I certainly wish I had found your post about a million posts earlier, but that of course is not the point. Again, thank you!

Learning too soon our limitations, we never learn our powers. -- Mignon McLaughlin
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 8:42 PM
Looks like when you install the new Pets EP, this problem comes up again. I never had any difficulty when I installed Uni and NL. But, now - all that we are discussing here is happening to mine with the new Pets installed. I tried the 'Run as' and -as it says here - there is only the template.

I can go in under 'explore' and see all of my custom content in the folders. I even see the new stuff that I copied over and want to create. However, when I double click - nothing happens. And - when I run as - then none of the custom stuff is there.

Grrrrrr - And that is not a happy puppy from the game.....

So - what - is the moral of the story that you have to install EPs in pairs?
Forum Resident
#62 Old 24th Oct 2006 at 6:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by teaguevm
Looks like when you install the new Pets EP, this problem comes up again. I never had any difficulty when I installed Uni and NL. But, now - all that we are discussing here is happening to mine with the new Pets installed. I tried the 'Run as' and -as it says here - there is only the template.

I can go in under 'explore' and see all of my custom content in the folders. I even see the new stuff that I copied over and want to create. However, when I double click - nothing happens. And - when I run as - then none of the custom stuff is there.

Grrrrrr - And that is not a happy puppy from the game.....

So - what - is the moral of the story that you have to install EPs in pairs?

I am having the same problem, teaguevm. Only I have OFB as well. All installed in the correct order and all patched. This is infuriating.

Another issue I've encountered is that when I tried the run as tip, (a few pieces of custom content loaded- which I believe were things that I downloaded when I only had the base game+uni.) My Projects>HomeCrafter Plus folder was empty. So I replaced those folders and restarted HCP. Tried to create a wall, but the Working Directory was empty. Tried to clone a wall, Working Directory still empty.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with Pets installed?

"I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant and kindness from the unkind, yet, I'm ungrateful to those teachers. "- Kahlil Gibran
Test Subject
#63 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 6:04 AM
I am having this same problem with Homecrafter +

I try to open it and I get the hour glass for 5 secs

and then nothing happens...As if I did nothing at all...

Any help would be greatly appreciated .....

/Linda
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 4th Nov 2006 at 5:35 AM
Yep - that is what I have happen as well, izazu. I've tried going to EA Games for help, too. So far I have no real help from them, either.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#65 Old 4th Nov 2006 at 7:00 AM
There's a thread on similar issues (HC not working after Pets) over here too: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=198116

I had the same problem (try to open it, nothing happens) and got it working again. I posted with what worked to get it working for me on that there thread.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 12:35 AM
Thanks HP! Working again!
Test Subject
#67 Old 21st Nov 2006 at 8:32 PM
Got mine to work also!
I uninstalled the Homecrafter I had and re-installed the new version!

All is ok now! Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 4th Jan 2007 at 4:31 AM Last edited by electric : 4th Jan 2007 at 4:36 AM. Reason: more info
With mine (wont run) I clicked the run as and it works.Everything loads.but theres nothing in my projects folder.Completely empty,not even the homecrafter folder there.Its like it wasnt installed.But the program does run for me.I have installed Pets.

oh yeah... im installing homecrafter again so i hope it works.

It takes just one tree to make a thousand matches, it takes just one match to burn a thousand trees...
Test Subject
#69 Old 4th Jan 2007 at 7:39 PM
That just might work for you, uninstalling and then re installing HomeCrafter+..And this way you are sure to get the newest version of Homecrafter too...
Inventor
#70 Old 5th Apr 2007 at 8:19 AM Last edited by XTS : 5th Apr 2007 at 8:22 AM. Reason: additional information
I'm getting exception errors, even with trying to reinstall :o
Not sure this is a battle I wanna fight lol

I moved my downloads folder to my desktop, made another one called the same.
I tried run as.. for both running it and reinstalling the other.
Nothing, no response aside from kicking out a file called TS2Uberkat (date here).txt

In the last one (trying to reinstall):

Exception module: C:\PROGRA~1\EAGAME~1\THESIM~2\HCBin\TS2HomeCrafterPlus.exe.
Exception address: 0x00402d27. Section:Offset: 0x01:0x00001d27.

Call stack:
(Debug information (.pdb files) appears to be absent).

(not sure what is relevant)

Also note that I tried to remove the file and reinstall (removed homecrafterplus.exe) and it told me it was missing or corrupt.

*sigh* all of this over wall boredom!
Suppose I'll wait to recreate something for now. I really can't see finding a fix for mine.

But thought I"d post just in case.
Thanks
**EDIT** I have all EPs on this computer, including Seasons.
Some reason I don't have family fun stuff on this one but I'm fixing to change that.

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Inventor
#71 Old 13th Apr 2007 at 9:55 AM
Good News!!!!

I installed family fun stuff.. Installed every patch at the site starting at the top
(hey, I was desperate! lol) and my HCP opened up.. Not right up of course but it's running!! Thank you guys for posting your solution possibilities.. I didn't have to mess with my downloads folder this time at all.. Just got patches.. I have no clue which patch helped or if I was having another issue before.. But I thank you much!

:D

*Xts*
ps.. My quote still holds true though lol

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Test Subject
#72 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 2:52 AM
Default homecrafter crashing
i've another suggestion for those who are having difficulty running homecrafter, especially trying to open up the floor section -
simply cut all the floor custom contents and paste it into a safe place for a backup, try rerunning the hc afterward. Then of course, replace the custom contents back into your downloads folder

I've had the same problem, most likely it was caused by the transparent floors but i fixed that with the above suggestion.
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 11th Aug 2007 at 8:24 PM Last edited by Meemo : 13th Aug 2007 at 6:06 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by WebbyMom
Aha, but I've found a fix just yesterday and it worked for me! It's a work-around, but hey, not a hard one. I just totally happened upon it over at the BBS from another user's post.

Right-click the HomeCrafter link, choose "Run as" and then just click "OK" with the pop-up that comes up. It worked for me. Starts up no problem now.

Funny that it ran before without UNI, but it only stopped once I installed NL. Very odd. Anyways, I hope that this works for you, too!

thanks so much for this - it worked for me too!! or so I thought.....

then got the disk full error - then realised I had an RGiles floor - goodness knows where that came from... couldn't see it in HCP so restarted game deleted it there... closed game ..run HCP (still had to run as...) still got the disk full error - so what are we saying here folks? is there no cure?

and yes my folder is read only and no I can't change it..

oh I finally managed to uninstall HCP but it won't let me install it again so now I have no HCP at all...

Waiting for Sims4 so I can go all Halliwell again!!
Test Subject
#74 Old 15th Sep 2007 at 8:18 AM
How big is the harddísc you have TS2 and Homecrafter installed on ?

I have almost all EP's and Stuffpacks...

But Homecrafter works for me...
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 9:54 AM
Hi there, I was just wondering whether there is an alternative editor to Homecrafter for making walls, floors and terrains as I am sick and tired of trying to make this program work. I have tried everything that has been suggested to no avail. I think EA sucks with its stand on "not supporting THEIR program. I wonder how quickly they will change their stance if we stop supporting them!!! Thumbs up to all you great sims program creators out there who create fantastic programs, give them to us for free and then still support them as well all for free. You guys (and gals) are the BEST!
Page 3 of 5