Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#51 Old 18th Feb 2006 at 2:15 AM
hey im finshed my mesh and every thing but i cant do the 2nd last step opening the mesh in SimPE this mesage keeps coming up plzz help

Lucy
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#52 Old 18th Feb 2006 at 9:51 AM
It looks like you are using an older version of SimPE.. try the new one.
Test Subject
#53 Old 20th Feb 2006 at 7:21 AM
Im really lost how do u open the sim03 file and what do u open it with

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(") (")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into
your signature to help him gain world domination.
Test Subject
#54 Old 20th Feb 2006 at 7:26 AM
dw i got it

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(") (")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into
your signature to help him gain world domination.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 9:30 AM
do i have to make separate mesh packages in order to alter the mesh of all ages? or can i just put all the info in one package?

visit http://artemistha.moonfruit.com for more great skins!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#56 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 7:15 PM
Adrian, you really should only ask questions here that are directly about the tutorial, and should ask other questions on their own in the general forum.
Here is a tutorial about recategorizing hair into the color bins: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=127096
Test Subject
#57 Old 26th Feb 2006 at 2:44 PM
I think I'm not intelligent enough, I don't understand from the moment you need to open the sims03 thing and find the 3DID shape numbers and write them down, I can't find them.

Probably because I'm french... right? I'm not English.
I can understand any SQL/PHP/ and fix any computer problem from codecs to dlls, and I JUST CANNOT GET TO MAKE 3D files, I am stupid?

Would anyone want to help? I could make a lot of contributions if I ever understood, because I'm very dedicaded and motivated.
But I have spent way too many hours trying to even recolor some textures with no sucess. This is way too frustrating and this gets me really upset not managing to understand it.
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 6:58 AM
Hi!

Please bare with me, I am a stickler for exactness and I am getting lost here...I have done objects with success so I have a fair understanding of the processes, but this hair thing and the ages and genders and all the files...oy!

I get your tutorial until about step 8, then the room starts spinning etc..I have a few issues noted below:

Step 8: I assume you are talking about editing the gmdc in milkshape. I am making a package that will include all ages, each gmdc will have its own new mesh so I just follow all this for each gmdc correct?

then on Step 8 again (a second step 8) you say now that you have all four files AND your new mesh file...new mesh file? Isnt that just edited gmdcs? Or does that mean five files? I would still have the same four files correct? (actually I have more then that because I am including all ages, three in each category i.e gmdc cres etc)

Also I seemed to have an issue when I made a new package, the gmdcs imported fine but all the others imported as user defined in my new package, I did go in a change each one to the appropriate type, then fixed integrity and everything looked correct. Is this going to explode later on?

ok back to step 8...So I cant make the new package before I edit the gmdcs? Does it matter? And the names, I renamed all the files when I exported them from the original sims3d files, was I not supposed to do this since I have to change the name of my mesh back to the original name? (second step 8) If I didnt change the name of the gmdc when I fiddled with it, will it still change the name? I am sorely confused on this step.

OK moving on to step 12...I am totally lost I dont even know where to begin with the questions here. I have the expansions but I only have the 6 files, is this because I used a base game mesh? (sims2) Beginning with the paragraph Click "package" I am totally lost. Find resource node and shape that I added, from the mesh package to the bodyshop package, delete the ones that are there, (I dont have any there except the ones I just added), move the resource node to the top and then go back and delete them? I think I missed something? (I wasnt sleeping in class I swear!)

Ok and one last question. I want to use meshes that arent in the bodyshop program (for all ages), I am using bald, for all ages. Now my understanding is that the game doesnt ever let kids be bald, although you will see bald toddlers, teens, adults etc, you can't apparently have bald kids in game. I want to use those meshes anyway, they are there in the 3d files CU_Bald. Can I still use them or do I have to use the hair that is referenced? Because I am going to be getting rid of the hair down to the bald mesh anyway...

Also, my textures/meshes arent going to be hair at all, actually I am making something completely different for the head. But I want to use hair (bald) as the base not accessories although at this point I am thinking it might be easier to use accesories, because my project isnt really hair persay but I was trying to make it so it was all in one package per gender and genetic.

So its a two fold question, can I use the bald base for kids even though bodyshop spat out a package that didnt include bald for kids or toddlers? Also when making object meshes you have to go through a mapping process to get the texture right on your new mesh, I havent seen this discussed in any hair tutorials, is this not done or is it assume that one should already know that?

and the obligatory, please help me... :monkey:
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 7:40 AM
I have imported my mesh and every thing apears to be ok until i move my sim in bodyshop. The alpha that is under the main one apears to float around the sims head ?
Screenshots

visit http://artemistha.moonfruit.com for more great skins!
Instructor
Original Poster
#60 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 10:57 PM
erm.. well if you are using the new milkshape/plugins then you have to delete the joints that end with _hair..it's in the manual. It will look weird otherwise. Maybe that helps.

nectere- I suggest that you only do one age group first.. if anything start with body meshes.. it's easier.
Test Subject
#61 Old 6th Mar 2006 at 3:53 PM
It was smooth sailing for me up until this.
Quote:
5. Go to EA GAMES --> The Sims 2 --> TSData --> Res --> Sims3D. Open Sims03...

With what program? I can't open it. I tried to open it with PE and Milkshop but it didn't work.

I am brand spanking new at creating anything for Sims2 so please bear with me.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#62 Old 12th Mar 2006 at 12:03 AM
MellieC - you need to use SimPE for that step. But if you had edited a body mesh before trying hair, you would know that part already. I strongly suggest you try one of the body mesh editing tutorials first, just to learn the basics of mesh editing, before trying hair.
Field Researcher
#63 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 8:26 AM
hey how do you add spheres to the mesh or extend it?
#64 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 7:13 PM
i cant download SimPE
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#65 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 10:51 PM
klaus baudelaire, as your question is not directly about *this tutorials* instructions, you would do better to post a general milkshape question in the main area in a new topic. I'd love to see more milkshape tips. I usually add points to the mesh by using the divide functions (look at the milkshape tips in the FAQ area to know which of those tools are best to use) You could also try searching the web for milkshape tutorials, as the question seems to be a general one about how to use milkshape rather than sim modding specific.

sk8er_grll - if you can't get SimPE after going to the website (I checked, the link works) then you should ask for help THERE in for how to get it. Or you need to go try again and keep reading until you find it. Thousands of people manage to get SimPE - if you want to edit meshes, you must be able to work through stuff like this (and also post much more specific posts about what you've tried and what the problem is).
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 19th Mar 2006 at 12:19 AM
erm i cant seem to find the plugin you said this meshing requires...you gave me the link, i went there, and i don't see anywhere i can download it - the thread is locked and i don't know what to do...am i too late??

Shoo, stop staring at this and go fly a kite.
Test Subject
#67 Old 26th Mar 2006 at 2:09 AM
Wow...I can't seem to find the gmnd file for the adult female ponytail (not the high one)...

I have a shpe, cres and gmdc, just not a gmnd... :sadpanda:
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 26th Mar 2006 at 8:21 AM
erm i cant seem to find the plugin you said this meshing requires...you gave me the link, i went there, and i don't see anywhere i can download it - the thread is locked and i don't know what to do...am i too late?? no one replied me last time.....anyone gimme a hand thx!!:D

Shoo, stop staring at this and go fly a kite.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#69 Old 26th Mar 2006 at 8:57 AM
The plugin has been replaced by Unimesh. So you'll need to edit with unimesh instead of the earlier plugin. A unimesh specific tutorial is being developed, but hasn't been released yet.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=122399

If you haven't edited a body mesh yet, there are some complete tutorials for that - including a very basic unimesh one, which I recommend first. Both hair tutorials that are on site right now are designed for people who have body mesh editing experience.
Instructor
Original Poster
#70 Old 27th Mar 2006 at 2:40 AM
Thanks tiggerypum. I'll fix my main post now.
Test Subject
#71 Old 27th Mar 2006 at 2:57 PM
Thanks tigger, will do.
Field Researcher
#72 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 8:39 AM
how do i make the hair spikes out and more realistic like in this picture? is there a special tool i use? please help me
Screenshots
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#73 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 10:38 AM
without downloading and pulling apart the mesh, I am going to assume she created a good mesh shape and then used the alpha to help make more individual hair strands. If you look at some of the maxis meshes you'll see that same technique - so it's a matter of the shape of the mesh *and* the texture on it to make things look that way.
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 2:27 PM
Hi! Thanks a lot for your tutorial! Sorry for being stupid but could you explain to me how to use the wes_h plugins to import one of the gmdc files into Milkshape? I still can't get how to do it, maybe I didn't install them right? I installed the plugins into the Milkshape folder in Program files. Please can you help?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#75 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 8:51 PM
I assume you're now using Wes' Unimesh plugin. If you are, go do the body tutorial that is specific for Wes' Unimesh Plugin. Then you'll know the procedure you'll need to use.
Page 3 of 6