Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 10:13 AM
you'r right this can be used for both.

Thank you all who supported me. (Sims 2 World)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 21st Apr 2006 at 8:12 PM
Default No 3d mesh tab
I was following along on your tutorial "texturing for dummies, Maxis meshes" and on page 8 when it says to click on 3d mesh in plugin view my SimPE under content tab I have no 3dmesh tab, I have cGeometry Data Container, element, links, groups, model & joints, but not a 3dmesh tab. I have downloaded the latest version of SimPe. What am I doing wrong? Thank you so much for your help with this issue.
Part-time Hermit
#28 Old 21st Apr 2006 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gina238
I was following along on your tutorial "texturing for dummies, Maxis meshes" and on page 8 when it says to click on 3d mesh in plugin view my SimPE under content tab I have no 3dmesh tab, I have cGeometry Data Container, element, links, groups, model & joints, but not a 3dmesh tab. I have downloaded the latest version of SimPe. What am I doing wrong? Thank you so much for your help with this issue.

You're not doing anything wrong, that's how it's supposed to be now . With some previous version of SimPE, in advanced mode the tab was called 3d mesh. Now it's called cGeometry Data Container in both normal and advanced mode.
Test Subject
#29 Old 23rd Apr 2006 at 1:43 AM
I have downlaoded DDS utilities and insatlled them, etc (including through simpe), and have set SimPE to Advanced mode. Although when I go to "Geometric data container", I have no '3d mesh' option. I'm uasing the latest simpe.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#30 Old 23rd Apr 2006 at 3:12 AM Last edited by mickyss : 23rd Apr 2006 at 3:22 AM.
Quote:
I have downlaoded DDS utilities and insatlled them, etc (including through simpe), and have set SimPE to Advanced mode. Although when I go to "Geometric data container", I have no '3d mesh' option. I'm uasing the latest simpe.

Make sure you have Managed Direct X 9c installed: If you wish to preview the mesh...
http://sims.ambertation.de/files/mdxredist.msi

Now if you have opened a package with a mesh in it you should get this,

Oh click the (Preview) button this will load a mesh preview.
Use the (Export) button to extract a copy of the mesh.

As you can see its just a small change in SimPE..

Click for larger photo..
Screenshots
Part-time Hermit
#31 Old 23rd Apr 2006 at 6:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dink87522

See post #28, that button is now called something else.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 2nd May 2006 at 7:50 AM
Great tutorial, micky--thank you so much! I have one question, though--whenever I'm in UV Mapper for more than a few minutes it times out and closes--is that because it is a demo version? I can certainly reload it each time it closes, but since the purpose of my downloading it was to make it easier to visualize object recolors, I may be shooting myself in the foot--in the time it takes me to do all the steps (between UV Mapper shutting down constantly) I would have saved time by just booting up the Sims. Anyway, if you have any information on how to fix it, I would appreciate it. Again, great tutorial!

can you feel it//it's good for you

find my creations here
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#33 Old 3rd May 2006 at 4:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cherrycolamcd
Great tutorial, micky--thank you so much! I have one question, though--whenever I'm in UV Mapper for more than a few minutes it times out and closes--is that because it is a demo version? I can certainly reload it each time it closes, but since the purpose of my downloading it was to make it easier to visualize object recolors, I may be shooting myself in the foot--in the time it takes me to do all the steps (between UV Mapper shutting down constantly) I would have saved time by just booting up the Sims. Anyway, if you have any information on how to fix it, I would appreciate it. Again, great tutorial!

I have never knowen the demo version of uvmapper to timeout, Im not sure why this is happening of you, I have tryed to find info on this event but have had no luck.
Can you try this on another PC to see if the new demos version times out?

Check the forum on there site or email them they may be able to help.

Let us know how you go.

Test Subject
#34 Old 22nd Jul 2006 at 1:56 AM
What does Tjis program open with? It doesn't open correctsly for me, and I need to change it's properties format. What does it open with?

Tabs the kitty ;)
Mouse says hi!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#35 Old 24th Jul 2006 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tabskitty
What does Tjis program open with? It doesn't open correctsly for me, and I need to change it's properties format. What does it open with?

I am sorry you have me lost with your words.... Tjis??? this I assume...
You need to have Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 installed to run SimPE download .NET here >>>>

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en

More information on the installation of SimPE can be found here >>>

http://sims.ambertation.de/en/download/realdownload/

The program SimPE is made to alow the editing of .package files these are the files that make user made sims objects and recolours :lovestruc

Hope this is what you needed to hear...

Love you all Micky

Test Subject
#36 Old 26th Jul 2006 at 3:50 PM
I can't download Texturing for Dummies - Coustom Meshes.zip for some reason? I was able to download the tutorial for Maxis meshes but not this one. Does the file still exist?
Part-time Hermit
#37 Old 26th Jul 2006 at 4:29 PM
Yes, the file should be there, and works fine for me. Maybe try again, and if it still doesn't work, let me know your email address and I'll send it to you.
Test Subject
#38 Old 26th Jul 2006 at 9:36 PM
Sorry, I messed up on my recent Question. I needed Someone to tell me what the tutorial opens with. Can someone email me the file?

Tabs the kitty ;)
Mouse says hi!
Part-time Hermit
#39 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 4:39 AM
Tabskitty, I don't think you need the file emailed to you, if it already downloaded for you. You just need the correct program to open it with. After you open the zip file, you will need a PDF reader to open the PDF file inside of it. The Foxit Software PDF Reader is free.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 12:45 PM
Hi, I've got a few questions about the programs that are used in this tutorial.

I don't want to pay for programs like photo shop pro and UVmapper pro but I downloaded the trials of photo shop pro and uv mapper pro but do they expire after a while of can I use them "forever"? And if I can what are the differences from the buy versions?

And if they do expire what programs do you recommend in steads of these?

thanks Tim
Part-time Hermit
#41 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 1:21 PM
UVMapper Pro you can keep using, the trial will just never let your export your maps, but it can still be used for viewing.

Regarding the paint program, do you mean Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop? Paint Shop Pro, I believe, has a trial that runs out. Not sure how the Photoshop trial works. For free paint programs, try something like Gimp.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 8:16 PM
Hi,

when I want to open my selfmade object in the object workshop and then recoloring SimPE is going to load it but when its loaded I get nothing in the recource tree so I get already bogged down at that point. How do I solve this!!!

( I've made my own object with the tutorial object creation with wing 3d from mod_bv)
Part-time Hermit
#43 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 8:30 PM
It's hard to say what the problem is without looking at the package. Can you post the object package with a description of the problem in the Object Workshop & Repair Center thread at the main Object Creation & Texturing forum?
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 8:31 PM
ok i'll try (tommorrow)
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 4th Oct 2006 at 6:13 PM Last edited by TimSimser : 4th Oct 2006 at 6:35 PM.
Hi I have some more specific information about the fault. When I open my selfmade object in the object workshop the one I had saved at step 5 ( the .obj file) it says:

" An unhandles exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore tis error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application wil be shut down immediatly.
Exception of type System.outOfMemoryException was thrown."

And when I open the .package file of the object I get nothing in my recource tree.

But my object does work in the game (but not with my ownmade texture)

So maybe you can help me with this information. ( I hope so!!!)

( I've not put my file in the object reparation workshop because I have it with all my objects and I don't know which I've to put in the workshop)
Part-time Hermit
#46 Old 4th Oct 2006 at 8:12 PM
Sorry, I still don't think I can help based on that. How is it possible that you can open the right package file in SimPE but don't know which file it is to post here?
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 9:31 PM
Well I've made it myself, but I've got an totaly other question now.

In youre template all things are separated, but how have you done that.

And another question I've made my own fence but there are three geomatric data containers but only one texture image. What do I have to do?
Part-time Hermit
#48 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 4:43 AM
How things are placed on the template depends on the uv-mapping of the mesh, if I understood correctly your question.

Some objects have more than one Geometric Data Container, and that is in no way connected to the number of texture images. In those cases you have to go to the different GMDCs and take a at them to see which has the mesh you want to texture. You can use the preview button to see them if you can't tell from the name alone. Sometimes you may have to texture meshes in more than one GMDC for an object, sometimes the extra GMDC just have shadows or other things you don't need to texture.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 8:06 PM Last edited by TimSimser : 25th Oct 2006 at 8:12 PM.
okay I understand

But I shall explain you my problem with uvmapping

Here I've got an example

Template

3D Model

When I give area D an colour the area A,B and C get all that colour, but most of the time that's not what I want. So how can I separate the area's A,B and C, so that my template have separate areas for them?
Screenshots
Part-time Hermit
#50 Old 26th Oct 2006 at 5:36 AM
Numenor has an article about the basics of uv-mapping here.
Page 2 of 3