Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2006 at 4:53 PM
Yoga mat animations -- Ballet Animations w/ a barre. Possible?
Ok guys before I embark on this project I want to know if we even have the resources to do and figure out how to do what I want.

I toyed around with making a sim animation when the tools were first released. I successfully got a ballet animation into the game -- abeit it was a bit choppy -- and linked it to an object. The only thing was that it was with the trash compactor and the sim would start doing ballet when taking out the trash, lol. I think though it messed with the file globally.

What I want to do to get back to this project is 2 things. I want to make a yoga mat that the sims can just go and do yoga on for a gym that I want to build -- so that sims dont have to have a certain amount of body points to do it, they can just do it. I want to use a rug as the main object with the option linked to the animation --- which I would take from the game. I want the object to increase body skill points as well. I have the same idea to do this with a ballet barre I'm working on but only the sims would do ballet and I would have to make the animations myself (the easy part, lol). I want the sims to be able to have a choice to earn either creativity or body from it (player can click "do ballet for creativity" or "do ballet for body").

Is all of this possible with our current tools?
:gonemad:
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Jan 2006 at 3:21 AM
It is certainly possible to do with the existing tools, but parts are potentially complicated. If you've already figured out creating and importing new animations (which as far as I'm concerned is the hardest part) then you should be able to manage it.

I'd suggest working from the mirror, bypassing all the speech bubble text and changing which skill is being built. And you also get to have the sims using a barre in front of a mirror if you wanted to, which would look cool. I'd be happy to help you out with it if you want. Anything to get more animations in game!
Nearly alive
#3 Old 31st Jan 2006 at 1:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
It is certainly possible to do with the existing tools, but parts are potentially complicated. If you've already figured out creating and importing new animations (which as far as I'm concerned is the hardest part) then you should be able to manage it.

I'd suggest working from the mirror, bypassing all the speech bubble text and changing which skill is being built. And you also get to have the sims using a barre in front of a mirror if you wanted to, which would look cool. I'd be happy to help you out with it if you want. Anything to get more animations in game!

If you are using the converter that I made, then one problem would be if any of the joints rotated more than 180 degrees (less in some casses), as when they do so, the joint will suddenly do a quick (roughly 359 degree) rotation in the other direction, instead of crossing over the 180 degree point. (These aren't that big of a problem as those rotation points can be edited by hand (using SimPE or a hex editor) once the animation is finished.)

The other point is the lack of support for certain bones.

Does anyone know what the animation support is like in SimPE now. I know that Quaxi was working on it when I was working on my programs, but I just haven't had time to see how far he got.

If you need any help on this project I'll try to help as much as I can.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2006 at 3:40 PM
I've been busy with some stuff guys so I'm sorry that I hadnt replied! I need to go over the tutorials again on importing the animation to the object. For some reason I tried to use the exercise machine as my base (taking out the sounds) and something went wrong and I cant even explain what the heck I did wrong. I couldnt get it to import properly into simPE. I'm using the new version and it gets a bit confusing to me with that so I'm going to try using .44 version to import and then the new one to further modify. I have my animation already made, and as suggested Echo I will use the mirror because that may actually be MUCH easier (those exercise machines have like 44 different animations!). Let me go back and work on it tonight and this weekend and I'll post what i get, particularly if I get stuck! Thanks soo much guys! I'll report back soon.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2006 at 3:57 PM
One quick question. Well two... First where is that mirror file that Miche originally uploaded? And the other, should I be using the tutorial for adding an animation to an object or the one that edits the sim's body? I was using the one editing a sim's body animation, but I'm not sure if that's the one I should be following?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 8:23 PM
Guys I'm still stuck! Can someone help me out!? I'm trying to use the Plano full length mirror as my base object and I cant add my created and converted file to the object? What on earth am I doing wrong? I am following the sim's body animation tutorial...
Instructor
#7 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 8:08 AM
Foxie...did you ever get this to work? I am also interested in creating a ballet animation for my Art Academy. I don't know a thing about animation....YET...but I am a very fast learner. So I am really curious as to how this is turning out.