Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2006 at 4:12 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 18th Jul 2006 at 4:22 AM.
Default Small Tutorial-Hair Catergorising
Note by Tiggerypum:
I have used this tutorial and DatGen to bin hair, and when I got the hang of it, it did work for me.

All the same, there are a couple other methods you might want to look at:

Here is a new SimPE plugin that lets you categorize your hair just like game hair:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?c=1&p=1283102

THis tutorial that does it by hand with SimPE only - with 4 custom grays instead of 1:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=150742

Now on to Callum's tutorial:

hey
Moderators,If you find this helpful or useful, perhaps this could go in the tutorial section maybe please? I tried to put it there but dont have the priveledges
anyway! This is a small tutorial on catergorsing the custom hairstyles.
You will need DatGen @ datgen.info
By the way, youll most likely need the Dubug version, as later versions seem to cause crashes&errors for many including me

Aqualectrix said: "people ought to get the debug/developmental version (10/19/05) instead of the 0.7.13 release version" so thanks Aqualectrix

note: back up the files your are going to edit, incase it doesnt work.
Step1:
Make backup copies of the hairstyles from Downloads/SavedSims folder, just incase you muck up, Like I did on my first try. Then open DatGen, then Open:DBFP (or whatever its called) and find your files. I am catergorising Texture Recolour Files for another hairstlye that I made today. There are 4 (each Maxis default colour). So open them

Step 2: Then open the SkinManager, then BulkHairtoneUpdater (the icon that looks like a bonfire) Then when its open, Click SEARCH. It will oepn all hairstyle files you have loaded into DatGen

Step3: Now to catergorise. Find the Blonde Set (or whatever colour you are updating) and click on it. It should open up 5 smaller files. Each of these are for each age (1 per age). Then, click on one, then clcik the Swatch (at the top) that corresponds with that colour. Once you do that for each one, click Auto, before going onto the next one. Do this for all remaining styles.
BUT, for elders, click on Grey, then auto

Step4: Now to save. I save after catergorising each colour. Click on SAVE CHANGES. Then I close the BulkHairtoneCatergoriser.

Step5: Open the Catergoriser. Now to set the 'families'. At the top wehre it says 'Custom Hairtones', clcik on that, and your hairtones should drop down from the list. If a drop down list doesnt show, click on the PlusSign(+) or the box next ot it.
When you get the drop down list, tick each box you can , EXCEPT for the elder hairs. Once you have all ticked (like in the Picture), tick the NewFamilyKey box, then press Generate. Then click 'SET FAMILY TO ALL SKINS IN CHECKED PACKAGES' then 'SET FAMILY TO ALL CHECKED SKINS' then 'SET FAMILY TO ALL SKINS IN CHECKED PACKAGES' . then click on a hairstyle, then click SAVE CHANGES.
Then do this for all elder hairstlyes (tick all the boxes icluding elder, but excluding the ones you did earlier such as the adult, teen, kid, etc), but tick the "FAMILY KEYS IN THIS PACKAGE", then from the dropdown list (if there is one), click on the number that was the same one that you generated earlier.
then click 'SET FAMILY TO ALL SKINS IN CHECKED PACKAGES' then 'SET FAMILY TO ALL CHECKED SKINS' then 'SET FAMILY TO ALL SKINS IN CHECKED PACKAGES' then click on a hairstyle, then save changes, then close DatGen.

Then run Bodyshop/Sims2 to see if it worked. If it didnt work, try again, following these steps. If it totally mucks them up (which it SHOULDNT) then replace them with your back up ones.
If it mucked them up, and you forgot to backup, dont blame me, as i did say to back them up.
Anyways, i hope you find/found this tutoiral helpful and not too confusing, and please leave a comment.
callum91
if you like this, then please leave a comment and hit then ThankYou button
UPDATE: Downloadable version.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  TUToRIAL.rar (259.5 KB, 421 downloads)

DONT ASK ME FOR A REQUEST ^-^
New Policy,applies to all my meshes ^-^
Im not meshing/Simming now,details in my Policy thing
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 1st Feb 2006 at 10:32 PM
Thanks so much for this :moose: I will be saving it in my favourites for use in the future

*..·´°*°·..*..·°** { 7-zip here } **°·..*..·´°*°·..*
Michelle in England.
I'm a friend to everyone ;o)
*..·´°*°·..*..·°** { CEP here } **°·..*..·´°*°·..*
Field Researcher
#3 Old 7th Feb 2006 at 8:19 PM
this is v.v. useful... but can you please explain what the 'categorizer' is in step 5 please? :D
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Feb 2006 at 9:51 PM
Mish, your welcome
sillysoraya, the categoriser is the BulkHairToneUpdater from step 2, i just gave it a different name as its easier 2 say Catergoriser than BulkHairtoneUpdater

#5 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 4:25 AM
What if this doesn't work?
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 8:30 AM
rla040776, it does work, i do it this way all the time.

Field Researcher
#7 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 2:33 PM Last edited by sillysoraya : 11th Feb 2006 at 2:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by callum91
Mish, your welcome
sillysoraya, the categoriser is the BulkHairToneUpdater from step 2, i just gave it a different name as its easier 2 say Catergoriser than BulkHairtoneUpdater

thanks! :thumb:
although, it still won't work when i get to this part.... i open up the categorizer like before, but when i click on the non/genetic hair colour, nothing happens..... then, when i try clicking on search, it comes up with an error
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sillysoraya
thanks! :thumb:
although, it still won't work when i get to this part.... i open up the categorizer like before, but when i click on the non/genetic hair colour, nothing happens..... then, when i try clicking on search, it comes up with an error

i found that out (clicking search and it crashes) too.
i use an older version of it, where you have to use it from a folder. it should work then.

#9 Old 14th Feb 2006 at 11:05 PM
I found anotherway
Alright this another way for custom hair colors or genetics or clothing . With no Downloads required.

Step 1) Go to the Sims 2 Bodyshop and click on create parts, then go to start new project and choose one object for clothing, skins, or hair and then save and exit out of the create parts and go back to the menu.

Step 2) Go to paint and click on FILE, then OPEN and go to MY DOCUMENTS and choose EA GAMES then go to what ever you saved the file under and open it.

Step 3) Color it what with what ever you want to.

Step 4) Go to FILE and SAVE AS the program you put it under then go back to body shop and go to CREATE GENETICS and then go to LOAD A SAVED PROJECT
and choose the one you decided to save as and load it, then when it goes to the main screen for that object you click export to game and Voila it is in the game.

So I can't start a new thread my membership will not permit so, I hope the maker of this thread doesn't mind if it post this. I found this out by getting a stroke of genius as some old person would say. And can you please tell me if anything goes wrong
Thanks

Insane66
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 5:05 AM
insane66, this is a tutorial on how to put custom hairs in the right bins.....not make new thnigs.....

Field Researcher
#11 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 2:22 AM
Hi, i'd love to have a go with your tut, but i was wondering what version of Datgen you are using? I downloaded 2 versions, and neither of them looked like the one you have in your pics- help please!
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 4:07 AM
Angel: Um, the version is one where you use it from the folder. i think : v0.7.12
Im not really sure tho, sorry
Also im running WindowsXP SP2 and i have the NET things that you need too

Field Researcher
#13 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 10:58 PM
Err right. Well the reason i ask is i went to TSR to get the program, and there are many versions of it there . Never mind, i guess all the damn hairstyles i have for my sims will have to stay uncatergorised lol.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 1:37 AM
thanks, I found this tutorial very helpful. I also got it to work on my first try!

visit http://artemistha.moonfruit.com for more great skins!
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 3:16 AM
angel, go to datgen.info, thats the proper site, not TSR
MorbidJunkie9, your welcome

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 4:01 AM
You might want to mention that people ought to get the debug/developmental version (10/19/05) instead of the 0.7.13 release version -- that's probably what's causing a lot of the crashes people mention, as 0.7.13 had lots of crash-causing problems in hair categorizing. The debug version fixed these and is much more stable, at least for hair.
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 8:03 AM
aqualectrix, good idea

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 10th Mar 2006 at 5:49 AM
Thank you so much for this. I had to have someone direct me to it. I almost burst into tears because I was so happy to see it. (((hug)))

Wish I could prove I love you, but does that mean I have to walk on water? --Utada Hikaru 'Simple & Clean'
Test Subject
#19 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 4:34 PM Last edited by karabrown : 14th Mar 2006 at 4:41 PM.
I just want to thank you callum91 for this good tutorial, Because the program dosen't give good help on how to use some of it's features. I'm a step by step show me kinda person. The one thing I did want to ask is. How can I get all the same style hair meshes grouped together. You know some downloaded hair meshes groups seem to scatter under the custom hair. (I like some of my speacialty hair meshes to stay the custom menu selection) Dosen't blulkhairtonerupdater do that is well?
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 9:23 AM
karabrown, i dont know if i quite understand.
But, by what i understand, you must group all the non-elder hair as 1 group (like, NOT ALL your hairstyles), but take my short braids as expample, i grouped the Tod,Kid, Teen,Ad as 1 group/family. Then saved. Then grouped together the 4 elder colours of it, then saved.
You would be using the BulkHairtoneUpdater.

Sorry if that wasnt good, but i for some reason i dont understand, soory. i am also i 'show me, here and now' person, with pictures.

If you need anymore help, PM me

Test Subject
#21 Old 19th Mar 2006 at 9:40 AM
Can U Help Me I Am New U See So I Need 2 Know What This Stuff Is Adout Plz Reply
From I Am Good(i Not Really)
Forum Resident
#22 Old 20th Mar 2006 at 5:23 AM Last edited by olomaya : 20th Mar 2006 at 5:29 AM.
You don't actually have to go through all that trouble. Maybe if you've meshed and recolored a hair package but if you're a downloader and you just want to catagorize your hair files, you can just drag the package files.

Do everything like callum said up until the part where you open the Bulk Hairtone Updater.
1. Click on search for the files to show up.
2. Simply click on the package file and drag it over to the proper hair color icon. The warning/are you sure you want to do this? box will come up. Click ok.
3. Once you've put all the hairs in the proper colors, save change.
4. Click on Custom Hairtones again. Open up the individual hairtone files and select the grey hair package.
5. Click on the grey hair icon (to check that you've done this, the hairtone key should be 5, 1 is black; 2, brown; 3, blonde and 4, red). Then just save changes again and do this for every other package.

As for "family" settings. You don't really have to do this. I usually don't but some people like to. All it does is go from one hairstyle to the same one when you click on a different color. To do that:

1. Click on the "Family Keys in this Package" box.
2. Check the package you want to catagorize.
3. Click "Set family to all skins in checked packages".
4. Then just save your changes.
Test Subject
#23 Old 26th Mar 2006 at 10:58 PM
Hay, callum91
What version of Datgen did you use when you made your tutorial ?

I cant seem to find a version with Shin manager on it, And I cant get past step #1.
I need help !!
please help me out here.
Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 27th Mar 2006 at 4:58 AM
Mario, um i used the Debug version.....you run it from a folder. its the only version that doesnt seem to crash for me

Field Researcher
#25 Old 30th Mar 2006 at 2:15 PM
thanks callum, great tutorial! I tried many time to use the hair categorizer in DatGen but I never figured out how to make it works n_n
*blow kisses to callum*
Page 1 of 2